* Random regex/fancy-split question
@ 2011-04-04 17:05 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2011-04-04 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello world,

Every now and then I stumble over a new google group for which this
fancy split line doesn't work:

   (to "\\(.+\\)@googlegroups\\.com" "googlegroups.\\1")

Or maybe it doesn't work for any of them, I'm not sure now.

Most recently, it was mail to this address:

   To: "epub-working-group@googlegroups.com" <epub-working-group@googlegroups.com>

All those messages wound up in a group called "googlegroups.".

I poked it with a stick a bit and got various permutations, such as
"googlegroups.p" and "googlegroups.group" but eventually I gave up and
created another split line:

   (to "epub-working-group@googlegroups\\.com" "googlegroups.epub-working-group")

to fix the problem.

But it bugs me that the regexp doesn't work because I think it should.

Clue by four, anyone?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | We are afraid of the old age which we
http://nwalsh.com/            | may never attain.--La Bruyère

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 186 bytes --]

* Re: Random regex/fancy-split question
@ 2011-04-04 17:12 ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2011-04-04 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: ding

Norman> Hello world,
Norman> Every now and then I stumble over a new google group for which this
Norman> fancy split line doesn't work:

Norman>    (to "\\(.+\\)@googlegroups\\.com" "googlegroups.\\1")

Maybe the .+ which is matching the longest match here:

Norman>    To: "epub-working-group@googlegroups.com"
Norman>    <epub-working-group@googlegroups.com>

which would be:

  epub-working-group@googlegroups.com" <epub-working-group

is trying to make a group called

  googlegroups.epub-working-group@googlegroups.com" <epub-working-group

which GNUS should reasonably reject?

* Re: Random regex/fancy-split question
@ 2011-04-05 11:01   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2011-04-05 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> Norman> Hello world,
> Norman> Every now and then I stumble over a new google group for which this
> Norman> fancy split line doesn't work:
>
> Norman>    (to "\\(.+\\)@googlegroups\\.com" "googlegroups.\\1")
>
> Maybe the .+ which is matching the longest match here:
>
> Norman>    To: "epub-working-group@googlegroups.com"
> Norman>    <epub-working-group@googlegroups.com>
>
> which would be:
>
>   epub-working-group@googlegroups.com" <epub-working-group
>
> is trying to make a group called
>
>   googlegroups.epub-working-group@googlegroups.com" <epub-working-group
>
> which GNUS should reasonably reject?

Maybe. But how does that become "googlegroups."? Ah well. I guess if I really
get tired of adding the one-off rules, I can always go read the source :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Experience is what you get when you
http://nwalsh.com/            | don't get what you want.

@ 2011-04-05 13:05     ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2011-04-05 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

>> Norman> Hello world,
>> Norman> Every now and then I stumble over a new google group for which this
>> Norman> fancy split line doesn't work:
>>
>> Norman>    (to "\\(.+\\)@googlegroups\\.com" "googlegroups.\\1")
>>
>> Maybe the .+ which is matching the longest match here:
>>
>> Norman>    To: "epub-working-group@googlegroups.com"
>> Norman>    <epub-working-group@googlegroups.com>
>>
>> which would be:
>>
>>   epub-working-group@googlegroups.com" <epub-working-group
>>
>> is trying to make a group called
>>
>>   googlegroups.epub-working-group@googlegroups.com" <epub-working-group
>>
>> which GNUS should reasonably reject?
>
> Maybe. But how does that become "googlegroups."? Ah well. I guess if I really
> get tired of adding the one-off rules, I can always go read the source :-)

I'm pretty sure I had stumbled upon the same problem. For googlegroups I
can see that I have defined those rules here, so it's pretty certain:

("sender" "django-users@googlegroups.com" "mail.gg.django-users")
("sender" "django-developers@googlegroups.com" "mail.gg.django-developers")
("sender" "django-announce@googlegroups.com" "mail.gg.django-announce")
("list-id" ".*<\\(.+\\)\\.googlegroups\\.com>.*" "mail.gg.\\1")

However, I ran the last regexp in re-builder, and it seems to match
'epub-working-group' in from the angled portion of the To:
address. Also, in my setup, I removed the first 3 django specific
entries, and again B t reported a match on the last general rule
substituting the group name correctly.

Maybe you can give that rule a try.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: Random regex/fancy-split question
@ 2011-04-05 14:57       ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2011-04-05 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding