* Customize the location and name of .newsrc.eld
@ 2006-04-21 20:59 Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-04-21 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

Let me explain my motivation.

I fount it's useful to 'hide' a group/topic in the meaning of
completely disappear from the group buffer like it has been
killed. Then I want to configure gnus to display groups that are
related to my work (some email boxes) during weekday, and display
groups that I have interest which are a lot during weekend. In this
way, gnus can serve as a professional mua for me while being useful
and not distracting.

I can't find such a solution for the moment.

So I come up with customizing .newsrc.eld which stores the group
info. During weekday when gnus is fired it will read a .newsrc.eld
with only email groups. During weekend, it will read another
.newsrc.eld.

Hope I explain my question clearly.

Any ideas?

--
Leon

* Re: Customize the location and name of .newsrc.eld
@ 2006-04-22  0:29 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2006-04-22  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> I fount it's useful to 'hide' a group/topic in the meaning of
> completely disappear from the group buffer like it has been
> killed. Then I want to configure gnus to display groups that are
> related to my work (some email boxes) during weekday, and display
> groups that I have interest which are a lot during weekend. In this
> way, gnus can serve as a professional mua for me while being useful
> and not distracting.

Well, if you use this topic structure:

[ Gnus ]
   [ Work ]
   [ Fun ]

and just keep "Fun" closed when you're working and vice versa, you
shouldn't be too distracted...

* Re: Customize the location and name of .newsrc.eld
@ 2006-04-22  2:06   ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-04-22  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I fount it's useful to 'hide' a group/topic in the meaning of
>> completely disappear from the group buffer like it has been
>> killed. Then I want to configure gnus to display groups that are
>> related to my work (some email boxes) during weekday, and display
>> groups that I have interest which are a lot during weekend. In this
>> way, gnus can serve as a professional mua for me while being useful
>> and not distracting.
>
> Well, if you use this topic structure:
>
> [ Gnus ]
>    [ Work ]
>    [ Fun ]
>
> and just keep "Fun" closed when you're working and vice versa, you
> shouldn't be too distracted...

By 'closed' you mean gnus-topic-hide-topic'ed? If so, it is still easy
to access the topic. If gnus can really hide Fun that would be much
better.

I have tried using another .newsrc.eld. It's *not* good.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2006-04-23 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

>> [ Gnus ]
>>    [ Work ]
>>    [ Fun ]
>>
>> and just keep "Fun" closed when you're working and vice versa, you
>> shouldn't be too distracted...
>
> By 'closed' you mean gnus-topic-hide-topic'ed?

No, I mean `RET' on the topic.

* Re: Customize the location and name of .newsrc.eld
@ 2006-04-23 14:50       ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-04-23 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> [ Gnus ]
>>>    [ Work ]
>>>    [ Fun ]
>>>
>>> and just keep "Fun" closed when you're working and vice versa, you
>>> shouldn't be too distracted...
>>
>> By 'closed' you mean gnus-topic-hide-topic'ed?
>
> No, I mean `RET' on the topic.

'RET' will toggle close and open the group.

So the groups are still handy to access. Any idea how to temporarily
remove groups?

Cheers,

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2006-04-23 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

>> No, I mean `RET' on the topic.
>
> 'RET' will toggle close and open the group.

`RET' on the topic line will "hide" the groups in the topic.

* Re: Customize the location and name of .newsrc.eld
@ 2006-04-23 15:29         ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2006-04-23 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Would a combination of gnus-topic-mark-topic and
gnus-group-set-current-level work?  You could write a funtion that
that marks all the groups in a topic, set the level to something high,
but not unsubscribed or killed, and then limit displayed groups to a
lower level.  Along with the topic hiding variables, I think you might
be able to get what you want.  I've never automated this, but I have
used the basic idea in the past to make my .newsrc.eld transportable
between work and home (though now that I no longer ever want my home
machine to touch my mail and news servers at work, I don't do it any
more).
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Customize the location and name of .newsrc.eld
@ 2006-04-23 16:14           ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-04-23 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

> Would a combination of gnus-topic-mark-topic and
> gnus-group-set-current-level work?  You could write a funtion that
> that marks all the groups in a topic, set the level to something high,
> but not unsubscribed or killed, and then limit displayed groups to a
> lower level.  Along with the topic hiding variables, I think you might
> be able to get what you want.  I've never automated this, but I have
> used the basic idea in the past to make my .newsrc.eld transportable
> between work and home (though now that I no longer ever want my home
> machine to touch my mail and news servers at work, I don't do it any
> more).

Dave,

Thanks to your suggestion, I think I'm getting close to find a
solution. I have set all the important groups to a level of 2.

Is there a variable that controls when a group with a level less or
equal to the variable, it will be visible?

My idea is when it's weekday set this variable to 2 while weekend set
it to 5.

--

@ 2006-04-23 19:35             ` Adrian Aichner
From: Adrian Aichner @ 2006-04-23 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Dave,
>
> Thanks to your suggestion, I think I'm getting close to find a
> solution. I have set all the important groups to a level of 2.
>
> Is there a variable that controls when a group with a level less or
> equal to the variable, it will be visible?

Hi Leon, see

gnus-group-default-list-level
and
gnus-activate-level
which I set differently when at home (to see news groups)
and at work (to not see these and my private mail folders).

Explicitly listing at the desired level is still possible.

Hope this helps!

Adrian

--
Adrian Aichner
 mailto:adrian@xemacs.org

* Re: Customize the location and name of .newsrc.eld
@ 2006-04-23 19:53               ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-04-23 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Aichner <adrian@xemacs.org> writes:

> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dave,
>>
>> Thanks to your suggestion, I think I'm getting close to find a
>> solution. I have set all the important groups to a level of 2.
>>
>> Is there a variable that controls when a group with a level less or
>> equal to the variable, it will be visible?
>
> Hi Leon, see
>
> gnus-group-default-list-level
> and
> gnus-activate-level
> which I set differently when at home (to see news groups)
> and at work (to not see these and my private mail folders).
>
> Explicitly listing at the desired level is still possible.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Adrian
>

>> My idea is when it's weekday set this variable to 2 while weekend set
>> it to 5.

Dear Adrian,

That's exactly what I'm looking for. It works great. Thanks a lot.

For the record:

Put this in ~/.gnus.el will show only level 2 groups during Mon to
Fri.

,--------
| (if (< (string-to-number (format-time-string "%u" (current-time))) 6)
|     (setq gnus-activate-level 2
| 	  gnus-group-default-list-level 2))
`--------

Cheers,
--

@ 2006-04-23 20:10                 ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-04-23 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Adrian Aichner <adrian@xemacs.org> writes:
>
>> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Dave,
>>>
>>> Thanks to your suggestion, I think I'm getting close to find a
>>> solution. I have set all the important groups to a level of 2.
>>>
>>> Is there a variable that controls when a group with a level less or
>>> equal to the variable, it will be visible?
>>
>> Hi Leon, see
>>
>> gnus-group-default-list-level
>> and
>> gnus-activate-level
>> which I set differently when at home (to see news groups)
>> and at work (to not see these and my private mail folders).
>>
>> Explicitly listing at the desired level is still possible.
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> Adrian
>>

>>> My idea is when it's weekday set this variable to 2 while weekend set
>>> it to 5.
>
> Dear Adrian,
>
> That's exactly what I'm looking for. It works great. Thanks a lot.
>
> For the record:
>
> Put this in ~/.gnus.el will show only level 2 groups during Mon to

Sorry, show group in level 2 or below.

> Fri.
>
> ,--------
> | (if (< (string-to-number (format-time-string "%u" (current-time))) 6)
> |     (setq gnus-activate-level 2
> | 	  gnus-group-default-list-level 2))
> `--------
>
> Cheers,

This is better in case you don't close emacs everyday.

(if (< (string-to-number (format-time-string "%u" (current-time))) 6)
    (setq gnus-activate-level 2
          gnus-group-default-list-level 2)
  (setq gnus-activate-level 6
        gnus-group-default-list-level 5))

--
Leon

* recent trouble with html parsing
@ 2006-04-26 13:03                   ` gdt
From: gdt @ 2006-04-26 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 994 bytes --]

I recently did a cvs update of gnus, I think yesterday, and also
installed emacs-w3m.  w3m is in my load-path, but I hadn't required it
in .emacs.

I've installed the following versions of w3m:

w3m-0.5.1nb2        Multilingualized version of a pager/text-based browser w3m
emacs-w3m-1.3.3nb2  Simple w3m interface for Emacs

I am now getting errors on looking at mail in html like the following

mm-inline-text-html-render-with-w3m: Wrong number of arguments: #[(start end &optional url) "ÂŒÆp!ˆ\b	}ˆÇ\x12Ç\x13Ç\x14Ç\x15Ç\x16\x0fÇ\x16\x10Ç\x16\x11Ç\x16\x12Ç\x16\x13Ç\x16\x14Ç\x16\x15Ç\x16\x16Ç\x16\x17Ç\x16\x18p\x16\x19\x0e\x1a\x12\x0e\x1a\x13È \x14É ÂˆÊ Â…O\0\x0e^[ƒL\0ËÂÌ!ˆÍÂÂÎ!)‡" [start end w3m-current-url w3m-current-base-url w3m-current-title w3m-current-coding-system w3m-process-stop nil w3m-rendering-multibyte-buffer w3m-fontify ...] 2 ("/usr/pkg/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m/w3m.elc" . 246227) (list (region-beginning) (region-end) (w3m-expand-file-name-as-url (or (buffer-file-name) default-directory)))], 4

Any clues?

	Gregp! Troxel <gdt@work.lexort.com>

* Re: recent trouble with html parsing
@ 2006-04-26 22:48                     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2006-04-26 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I recently did a cvs update of gnus, I think yesterday, and also
> installed emacs-w3m.  w3m is in my load-path, but I hadn't required it
> in .emacs.

> I've installed the following versions of w3m:

> w3m-0.5.1nb2        Multilingualized version of a pager/text-based browser w3m
> emacs-w3m-1.3.3nb2  Simple w3m interface for Emacs

> I am now getting errors on looking at mail in html like the following

> mm-inline-text-html-render-with-w3m: Wrong number of arguments:\
> #[(start end &optional url) "...

> Any clues?

Your emacs-w3m is too old to use with latest Gnus.

2002-10-25  TSUCHIYA Masatoshi  <tsuchiya <at> namazu.org>

	* w3m.el (emacs-w3m-version): Release 1.3.3

Use the latest one, which is 1.4.4.  But it might be better to
use CVS emacs-w3m if you're interested in use of CVS Gnus.
Please go to <URL:http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/>.