* nnrss keeps forgetting feed URLs after session
@ 2004-07-14 18:38 clemens fischer
From: clemens fischer @ 2004-07-14 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

(this is a copy of my post to gnus.bugs, which should be more appropriate
here.)

No Gnus v0.3

GNU Emacs 21.3.50.2 (i386-unknown-freebsd4.9, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2004-03-27 on spotteswoode.dnsalias.org

200 Leafnode NNTP daemon, version 2.0.0.alpha20040513a at
ID-23066.news.dfncis.de

hi.

i have had this problem for quite some time:  every once in a while nnrss
groups loose the URLs of their feeds.  the minibuffer queries for them
showing a default of "http://".  as there's no easy way to retrieve them,
i have to rely on the contents of News/rss/nnrss.el, which doesn't contain
any but the URLs saved in the current session.

i can `G R' a RSS group, *after* the gnus session it will be lost
permanently, but it works during the session.

one other thing:  i cannot edit the groups title or description:  if i do
that, RSS will either refuse to access the URL or not make it at all.  i
used to save the URL in the groups title to keep at least the URL.

is there anything i can do besides deleting all the feeds and starting
over?  i had removed the entire contents of News/rss/* and began anew
(several times), but as it stands now, nnrss is unusable!

regards,  clemens

------------------ Environment follows ------------------
(setq gnus-default-nntp-server "")
(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "localhost"))
(setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnml:out")
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnfolder ""
                  (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail")
                  (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/active")
                  (nnfolder-newsgroups-file "~/Mail/newsgroups")
                  (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil))
        (nnmaildir ""
                   (directory "~/nnmaildir")
                   (get-new-mail nil)
                   (directory-files nnheader-directory-files-safe))
        (nnml ""
              (directory "~/mail-nnml")
              (get-new-mail t)
              (nov-is-evil nil)
              (nov-file-name ".overview"))))
(setq mm-inlined-types
      '("application/pgp$" "image/.*" "text/.*" "message/delivery-status" "message/rfc822" "message/partial" "message/external-body" "application/emacs-lisp" "application/x-emacs-lisp" "application/pgp-signature" "application/x-pkcs7-signature" "application/pkcs7-signature" "application/x-pkcs7-mime" "application/pkcs7-mime"))
(setq mm-automatic-display
      '("application/pgp$" "text/plain" "text/enriched" "text/richtext" "text/html" "text/x-vcard" "image/.*" "message/delivery-status" "multipart/.*" "message/rfc822" "text/x-patch" "application/pgp-signature" "application/emacs-lisp" "application/x-emacs-lisp" "application/x-pkcs7-signature" "application/pkcs7-signature" "application/x-pkcs7-mime" "application/pkcs7-mime"))
(setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
      '("text/html" "text/richtext"))

* Re: nnrss keeps forgetting feed URLs after session
@ 2004-07-15  7:00 ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2004-07-15  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

clemens fischer <ino-qc@spotteswoode.dnsalias.org> writes:

> i have had this problem for quite some time:  every once in a while nnrss
> groups loose the URLs of their feeds.  the minibuffer queries for them
> showing a default of "http://".

I've had the same problem. I created the groups with G m and then
entered the URL at first entry. I didn't test very much to see when
and why the URLs were forgotten but it was so very annoying that I
decided that I should stop reading the RSS feeds until it was fixed.

Bottom line: You're not alone. :-)

--
(        http://hem.bredband.net/steverud/        !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

* Re: nnrss keeps forgetting feed URLs after session
@ 2004-07-16 19:22 ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2004-07-16 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

* clemens fischer:

> No Gnus v0.3
>
> GNU Emacs 21.3.50.2 (i386-unknown-freebsd4.9, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
>  of 2004-03-27 on spotteswoode.dnsalias.org
>
> 200 Leafnode NNTP daemon, version 2.0.0.alpha20040513a at
> ID-23066.news.dfncis.de
>
> i have had this problem for quite some time:  every once in a while nnrss
> groups loose the URLs of their feeds.  the minibuffer queries for them
> showing a default of "http://".  as there's no easy way to retrieve them,
> i have to rely on the contents of News/rss/nnrss.el, which doesn't
> contain any but the URLs saved in the current session.

... which seems to be the problem.  AFAICS nnrss.el will work as expected
when *every* RSS group is visited.  i reckon the variables saved
`nnrss-group-alist' and `nnrss-server-data' only contain information about
actually visited RSS groups in gnus' memory.

a possible fix could be to make a backup of them everytime gnus is started
and merge in updates before writing them back when gnus finishes.

don't know how to do this, though.  if anyone can provide enough pointers
to me, i'll propably do the fix myself ...

  clemens