* [nnir] Multiple nnml servers
@ 2000-04-27 13:10 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-04-27 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Still trying to get something that works for using nnir on a second
and third nnml server.

Servers are defined in "Server Buffer" and are accessable etc.

Since I don't know much lisp I'm using what is probably a caveman
approach to get the nnir variables to match the server I want to
search.

Dealing with only one extra server in this example:

In .gnus I have this code pertaining to nnir:
; ;;************* NNIR related;
 (load "nnir-1.47.elc")
 (setq nnir-glimpse-home "/home/reader/.glimpse-m")
 (setq nnir-search-engine `glimpse)
; ;;*********** end NNIR ************

These are the vars I need for normal use of nnir.

To use nnir on a different nnml server, I load this file to override
the .gnus settings:

(custom-set-variables
 '(nnir-excite-collection "/bak/n2m/enews.newsguy.com/")
 '(nnir-glimpse-remove-prefix "/bak/n2m/enews.newsguy.com/")
 '(nnir-mail-backend (quote (nnml "n2m")))
 '(nnir-glimpse-home "/home/reader/.glimpse-n2m")
 '(nnir-excite-remove-prefix "/bak/n2m/enews.newsguy.com/"))

This works for global searches like:

G G colors<RET>

and nnir dutifully assembles all hits from groups under nnml "n2m"
server, containing "colors"

However, when using C-u G G  colors<RET> comp.editors <RET> it fails,
even though "nnml+n2m:comp.editors" was one of the groups that
appeared in the global search hits.

The particular nnml server in this example is made up of groups that
are really newsgroups that have been stored under ~/News/agent and
rsynced to the server defined directory.  The server definition looks
like:

(nnml "n2m"
      (nnml-directory "/bak/n2m/enews.newsguy.com/")
      (nnml-nov-directory "/bak/n2m/enews.newsguy.com/")
      (nnml-active-file "/bak/n2m/enews.newsguy.com/active")
      (nnml-get-new-mail nil))

The files located there are rsynced from agent download directories
then nov data base is generated for that server, after every rsync.
The rsync command excludes "agents" active, .overview and .agentview files so
the nnml backend can make its own nov data.

The nnml groups under all nnml servers including the n2m server in
this example  have the unix style group names like so:
comp/editors  gnu/emacs/gnus

In  summary:  Thus  far,   nnir  global  search  works  admirably.  So
apparently most  of the setup is  correct.  Now how to  get a specific
group search to work?

*Messages* when using nnir in normal mode specifying a nnml"" group:

Doing glimpse query ((query . color) (group . cartman2)) on cartman2...
glimpse args: -H /home/reader/.glimpse-m -W -l -y -i -F /home/reader/Mail/;cartman2 color
Doing glimpse query ((query . color) (group . cartman2)) on cartman2...
Retrieving newsgroup: nnir:((query . "color") (group . "cartman2"))...
Fetching headers for nnir:((query . "color") (group . "cartman2"))...
Fetching headers for nnir:((query . "color") (group . "cartman2"))...done

*Messages* when doing nnir seach on nnml "n2m" specifying a nnml "n2m"
 group:

Doing glimpse query ((query . color) (group . comp.editors)) on comp.editors... [2 times]
glimpse args: -H /home/reader/.glimpse-n2m -W -l -y -i -F /bak/n2m/enews.newsguy.com/;comp.editors color
Doing glimpse query ((query . color) (group . comp.editors)) on comp.editors...
Search produced empty results.
Couldn't request group: Search produced empty results.

No hits are found when specifying a specific group, but hits *ARE* found
in this group when specifying a global search.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-04-27 13:10 UTC | newest]