* Pterodactyl Gnus v0.52 is released
@ 1998-11-20  4:31 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-20  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bug fixes and stuff.

Get it from <URL:http://www.gnus.org/pgnus.tar.gz> or
"/ftp@ftp.gnus.org:/pub/emacs/gnus/".  The patch is available as
<URL:http://www.gnus.org/patches/pgnus-0.51-0.52.diff.gz>.

ChangeLog since last release:

Fri Nov 20 05:30:26 1998  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@menja.ifi.uio.no>

	* gnus.el: Pterodactyl Gnus v0.52 is released.

1998-11-20 04:32:23  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@gnus.org>

	* rfc2047.el (rfc2047-encode-message-header): Encode the default
	encoding.

	* gnus-art.el (gnus-mime-display-single): Insert buttons for
	undisplayed text types.

	* mm-decode.el (mm-automatic-display-p): Only prefer inlinable
	types.

1998-11-19  Felix Lee  <flee@cygnus.com>

	* nntp.el (nntp-after-change-function-callback): recover from C-g.

1998-11-19  Felix Lee  <flee@cygnus.com>

	* gnus-async.el (gnus-asynch-obarray): rename to
	gnus-async-hashtb, and don't buffer-local it.

	(gnus-async-article-callback): new function.
	(gnus-make-async-article-function): use it.

	(gnus-async-current-prefetch-group): new var.
	(gnus-async-current-prefetch-article): new var.
	(gnus-async-request-fetched-article): are we fetching it already?

	(gnus-async-delete-prefected-entry): s/prefected/prefetched/

1998-11-20 02:49:21  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@gnus.org>

	* gnus-sum.el (gnus-summary-show-article): Require.

	* message.el: Provide before hooks.
	(message-send-news): Do MIME before headers.

	* gnus-art.el (gnus-article-check-buffer): New function.
	(gnus-article-read-summary-keys): Use it.

	* mm-decode.el (mm-user-automatic-display): Display all inline
	images.

	* gnus-art.el (gnus-mime-display-single): Don't buttonize so
	much.
	(gnus-unbuttonized-mime-types): New variable.

1998-11-19 06:29:03  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@gnus.org>

	* gnus-sum.el (gnus-inhibit-user-auto-expire): Changed to t.

	* mm-decode.el (mm-quote-arg): Quote semicolons.

	* gnus-art.el (gnus-mime-display-single): Don't display
	attachments.
	(gnus-mime-externalize-part): New command and keystroke.

	* mm-decode.el (mm-dissect-buffer): Pass on the description info.
	(mm-alternative-precedence): Changed order.

1998-11-07 17:41:47  Simon Josefsson  <jas@pdc.kth.se>

	* gnus.el (gnus-method-simplify): New function.
	(gnus-native-method-p): New function.
	(gnus-secondary-method-p): Use gnus-method-equal.

	* gnus-start.el (gnus-group-change-level): Shorten select method.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Pterodactyl Gnus v0.52 is released
@ 1998-11-20  8:49 ` Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 1998-11-20  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

One problem with nntp groups. On entering the group, the 1st unread
article is displayed. On moving to the 2nd, the message "waiting for
async article" is displayed in the mini-buffer. This stays there (I
went away, made a coffee etc and returned). C-g allows reading of the
rest of the group. Coming back to the 2nd article will eventually
display it. This only seems to affect the 2nd article read in a
group. Here is the backtrace

Signaling: (quit)
  accept-process-output(#<process nntpd<1>> 1)
  nntp-accept-process-output(#<process nntpd<1>>)
  gnus-async-request-fetched-article("comp.dcom.isdn" 504 #<buffer *Article*>)
  gnus-request-article-this-buffer(504 "comp.dcom.isdn")
  gnus-article-prepare(504 nil)
  gnus-summary-display-article(504)
  gnus-summary-next-article(t nil)
  gnus-summary-next-unread-article()
  gnus-summary-next-page(nil)
* call-interactively(gnus-summary-next-page)

* Re: Pterodactyl Gnus v0.52 is released
@ 1998-11-20 10:52   ` Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 1998-11-20 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Further information.

If the group has just 1 unread article it is displayed OK.

If the group has 2 unread articles, the first is displayed OK, but
attempting to read the 2nd hangs. C-g then exitting the group and
re-entering it displays the article OK.

If the group has 3 unread articles, then the first displays correctly
on entry. Moving to the 3rd article displays OK. Attempting to read
the 2nd article hangs either if attempted after the first or after
reading the 3rd. Again, exitting the group and re-entering allows the
article to be read.

If the group has more then 3 articles, then the first is displayed on
entry. Attempting to read the 2nd article next hangs. If instead of
attempting to read the 2nd article, you read *any* other article then

* Re: Pterodactyl Gnus v0.52 is released
@ 1998-11-20 14:25     ` Karl Kleinpaste
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-11-20 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:
> If the group has just 1 unread article it is displayed OK.
> If the group has 2 unread articles, the first is displayed OK, but
> attempting to read the 2nd hangs...

What's your server incantation?  I have an INN 1.7.2-insync as my
native method and a very non-standard thing at CMU as a secondary,
both of which have been happy with p0.5x.  Did you upgrade a long way
in the p0.X series just now?

My first guess would have been that your server has decided it doesn't
like multiple connections from one host (hence async retrieval is
failing, on inability to open 2nd connection), but there's no reason
for that to have taken a toll on you just with the latest version.

* Re: Pterodactyl Gnus v0.52 is released
@ 1998-11-20 14:59       ` Felix Lee
From: Felix Lee @ 1998-11-20 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com>:
> My first guess would have been that your server has decided it doesn't
> like multiple connections from one host (hence async retrieval is
> failing, on inability to open 2nd connection), but there's no reason
> for that to have taken a toll on you just with the latest version.

well, yes, there is.  I sent lars a patch that will wait for
the async connection to finish fetching its article if it
thinks it's in middle of fetching the article, rather than
requesting it again (which would mean 2x the suckage.)

but it doesn't recover if the async connection hangs
forever.  which is what I suspect is happening.  will poke
at it a bit.

* Re: Pterodactyl Gnus v0.52 is released
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-20 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:

> My first guess would have been that your server has decided it doesn't
> like multiple connections from one host (hence async retrieval is
> failing, on inability to open 2nd connection), but there's no reason
> for that to have taken a toll on you just with the latest version.

0.52 includes fixes to make Gnus wait for the asynch article to arrive
if it has been requested, but not fully arrived yet.  That's the most
likely cause.  Felix?

* Re: Pterodactyl Gnus v0.52 is released
@ 1998-11-20 15:30       ` Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 1998-11-20 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:

> What's your server incantation?  I have an INN 1.7.2-insync as my
> native method and a very non-standard thing at CMU as a secondary,
> both of which have been happy with p0.5x.  Did you upgrade a long way
> in the p0.X series just now?

The native method goes to an INN 1.7 server on this box. The only
secondary method is nnml. The first pgnus I applied was 0.33 (at the
same time as I upgraded OS and switched from emacs 19.34 and qgnus)
and I have applied every subsequent upgrade the same day as it was
released. I have only been running the local news server for a week,
before that I was using Agent mode.

> My first guess would have been that your server has decided it doesn't
> like multiple connections from one host (hence async retrieval is
> failing, on inability to open 2nd connection), but there's no reason
> for that to have taken a toll on you just with the latest version.

There are *no* errors shown in my INN logs. Also it seems strange that
it only affects the 2nd unread (in order on the summary screen)
article when entering a group. It is also strange that order of
reading affects the result. It only started happening when I moved
from 0.51 to 0.52. As an experiment, I reverted to 0.51 and the
problem went away. Coming back to 0.52 the problem returned.