* Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-03 15:24 Kai Grossjohann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-02-03 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Michael.Huehne

Hi all,

Michael uses movemail to read mail from a POP3 server.  If a mail
doesn't end with an empty line, the following mail isn't split
correctly.

Example:

,-----
| From foo@frob.org
| From: Foo <foo@frob.org>
| Subject: The Gnats and Gnus society
|
| bla bla bla bla
| From pimpel@pampel.de
| From: Pimpel <pimpel@pampel.de>
| Subject: Pimpelnde Pampeln pampeln Pimpel
|
| bla bla bla bla
`-----

Note that there is no empty line between the first "bla bla" and the
second mail.

These two mails are not split correctly, they're saved in a single
file in the nnml folder.

Has anyone seen this, too?
kai
--
My heart is down, my head is turning around;
I had to leave a little girl in Kingston town. -- Harry Belafonte

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-03 16:36 ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-02-03 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | Warning: pregnant women, the
Prescient Technologies, Inc.              | elderly, and children under 10

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-03 20:01   ` visigoth
From: visigoth @ 1997-02-03 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@PrescientTech.com> writes:

> Then the mail server is messing up, because there *must* be one.  The
> Unix mail separator is "\nFrom ...".  The newline must be there to
> distinguish one message from the next.

Actually, I read recently that "^From ..." is the separator.  Any
reasonable mail agent ought to produce only "\nFrom ", but should
accept any line beginning with "From " as beginning a new message,
regardless of whether or not it was preceeded by a blank.

John.

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-04  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

visigoth@naiad.fac.cs.cmu.edu writes:

> Actually, I read recently that "^From ..." is the separator.  Any
> reasonable mail agent ought to produce only "\nFrom ", but should
> accept any line beginning with "From " as beginning a new message,
> regardless of whether or not it was preceeded by a blank.

No; the mail delivery agent should always put a blank line before the
"From " line.  That's the de facto standard in this area.  If a
delivery agent doesn't do that, it's broken.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-04 10:14 ` dave edmondson
From: dave edmondson @ 1997-02-04 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

surely discussions about delivery agent are secondary.  the first
thing i'd check is that the pop server is actually dishing the
messages out in distinct pieces.  if this is the case, then movemail
should be coerced into generating a correct mailbox file (ie. it
should be told to ensure that there is a \n\nFrom seperator).  if the
pop server _doesn't_ give out these two as seperate messages, then
perhaps it and the delivery agent on the pop serving machine should be
examined.

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-04 12:05   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-02-04 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Michael.Huehne, Bernard.Steiner

  KG> Note that there is no empty line between the first "bla bla" and
  KG> the second mail.

  Rich> Then the mail server is messing up, because there *must* be
  Rich> one.  The Unix mail separator is "\nFrom ...".  The newline
  Rich> must be there to distinguish one message from the next.

The POP3 server spits out mails separated by "\nFrom " but not
"\n\nFrom ".  If the standard sez one "\n" is enough then Gnus should
grok that, too, shouldn't it?

Sadly, I haven't read the RFC (which one is it?) myself so I'm not
really sure whether the standard requires "\n\n" or not.

kai
--

@ 1997-02-04 13:03     ` Bernard.Steiner
From: Bernard.Steiner @ 1997-02-04 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Rich Pieri, ding, Michael.Huehne, Bernard.Steiner

Hi,

       KG> Note that there is no empty line between the first "bla bla" and
       KG> the second mail.

That is completely beside the point, since the server sends all mails
seperately.

       Rich> Then the mail server is messing up, because there *must* be
       Rich> one.  The Unix mail separator is "\nFrom ...".  The newline
       Rich> must be there to distinguish one message from the next.

     The POP3 server spits out mails separated by "\nFrom " but not
     "\n\nFrom ".  If the standard sez one "\n" is enough then Gnus should
     grok that, too, shouldn't it?

The POP3 server spits out messages *exactly* like
+OK\r\nFrom ....\r\nRest of header\r\n\r\nbody with trailing\r\n.\r\n

If the client side is able to receive single pieces of mail and then munges
them up so as lateron not to be able to separate them again, this has nothing
whatsoever to do with the server.

Just for the record - there's no way in hell apart from a broken filesystem
that the server mistakes two mails as one.

Bernard

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-04 13:10     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-02-04 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> The POP3 server spits out mails separated by "\nFrom " but not
> "\n\nFrom ".  If the standard sez one "\n" is enough then Gnus should
> grok that, too, shouldn't it?

As far as I can see from RFC 1939 and movemail.c:

A pop server always spit out a single message a time, so it doesn't
have any use for unix mbox format.  In fact, it would be a violation
of the protocol if a messages began with `From '.  It may contain as
many "From " lines as wants, with or without a preceding empty line.
They are still part of a single message.

Movemail creates its output in BABYL format, and furthermore quotes
all "From " lines it sees just to be sure.

If I read these correct, you have a seriously broken POP server.

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-04 13:43       ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-02-04 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Bernard.Steiner

  Per> If I read these correct, you have a seriously broken POP server.

See Bernard's mail: I was all wrong, of course.

As I see it now, the following is what happens:

The POP3 server spits out a message at a time.  The last line of some
messages is empty, or some others it is non-empty.  movemail concats
all messages.  This results in a file that contains several messages,
one after the other, and in some cases, a message begins with
"\r\n\r\nFrom " (twice CRLF) whereas in other cases, a message begins
with "\r\nFrom " (just one CRLF).  Gnus tries to read this file and
does something strange when it sees the just-one-CRLF case.

I do not know whether a POP3 server should be required to tack on an
extra CRLF to the end of each message, thereby ensuring the twice-CRLF
case always, or whether movemail should tack on the extra CRLF, or
whether Gnus should be taught to do without the extra CRLF.

But somehow I think that the POP3 server is *not* the problem here.

kai
--

@ 1997-02-04 14:41         ` Bernard.Steiner
From: Bernard.Steiner @ 1997-02-04 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Per Abrahamsen, ding, Bernard.Steiner

     The POP3 server spits out a message at a time.  The last line of some
     messages is empty, or some others it is non-empty.  movemail concats
     all messages.  This results in a file that contains several messages,
     one after the other, and in some cases, a message begins with
     "\r\n\r\nFrom " (twice CRLF) whereas in other cases, a message begins
     with "\r\nFrom " (just one CRLF).  Gnus tries to read this file and
     does something strange when it sees the just-one-CRLF case.

Not exactly. You should be aware of the fact that all occourances (sp ?) of
"\r\n\r\nFrom " result from a non-initial mail in the mailbox, where the
preceding mail happens to contain a trailing empty line.
If you then interpret the empty trailing line (with the "\r\nFrom ") as a
separator, this may turn out OK. However, there's no reason why a mail should
contain a trailing empty line, and such a thing is certainly not required by
RFC 1939 (quoted below)

   are clearly indicated below, after sending the first line of the
   response and a CRLF, any additional lines are sent, each terminated
   by a CRLF pair.  When all lines of the response have been sent, a
   final line is sent, consisting of a termination octet (decimal code
   046, ".") and a CRLF pair.

BTW the whole business about multiple mails with separators utterly fails
to produce recoverable results: Just consider PGP-signed mails that contain
an empty line, followed by a single "From " such as in

>From what I can see, this is a legal string iside a mail.

Now, you can say that your clever little mail-sorer will escape that to yield
a ">From " line, but then, the unpacking side will (correct me if I'm wrong)
never do a delete-one-greater-sign-from-a-string-matching-"^>>>*From ".
This is likely to produce checksum failures.

     I do not know whether a POP3 server should be required to tack on an
     extra CRLF to the end of each message, thereby ensuring the twice-CRLF
     case always, or whether movemail should tack on the extra CRLF, or
     whether Gnus should be taught to do without the extra CRLF.

     But somehow I think that the POP3 server is *not* the problem here.

Nope, it just is required to make sure there's a \r\n.\r\n sequence to signify
end of mail, where the CRLF pair before the dot belongs to the message.
See RFC 1939.

Bernard

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-04 14:52   ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-02-04 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain
Prescient Technologies, Inc.              | types of skin.

@ 1997-02-04 15:23         ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-02-04 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | Caution: Happy Fun Ball may
Prescient Technologies, Inc.              | suddenly accelerate to dangerous

@ 1997-02-04 15:31           ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-02-04 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Michael.Huehne, Bernard.Steiner

  Rich> I am inclined to agree; it is the delivery agent this guy is
  Rich> using that is the problem.  It is failing to create proper
  Rich> delimiters in the system mailbox, resulting in the POP server
  Rich> seeing the entire mailbox as a single message.

I know for sure that the POP3 server works well in that respect:
talking POP3 directly to the server reveals that it groks the
different messages all right.  (I use the same POP3 server and have
talked to it like that.)

kai
--

@ 1997-02-05 10:47 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-02-05 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Kai> Hi all,
  Kai> Michael uses movemail to read mail from a POP3 server.  If a mail
  Kai> doesn't end with an empty line, the following mail isn't split
  Kai> correctly.

Rehi,

in the last thread I said some strange things.  I must've been out of
my mind (or haven't thought long enough about what happens).

OK, it seems that movemail creates a babyl file if reading from a POP3
server.  I have already asked Michael to please run movemail manually
to show you the babyl file that's produced when a message doesn't end
with an empty line.

Anyhow, it worked for him with Gnus 5.2.40 and Rgnus 0.50 (!) and
discontinued working in rgnus 0.70 (or 0.71 or so).  It still doesn't
work with 5.4.8.

I did a cursory search of nnmail-process-babyl-mail-format in 5.2.40's
nnmail.el and in 5.4.11's nnmail.el but couldn't find anything
offhand.  These functions *are* different, though, but I can't
immediately see the effects.

You'll be hearing from us later, I presume.

kai
--

@ 1997-02-05 22:40   ` Michael Huehne
From: Michael Huehne @ 1997-02-05 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

 dave> surely discussions about delivery agent are secondary.  the
 dave> first thing i'd check is that the pop server is actually
 dave> dishing the messages out in distinct pieces.  if this is the
 dave> case, then movemail should be coerced into generating a correct
 dave> mailbox file (ie. it should be told to ensure that there is a
 dave> \n\nFrom seperator).  if the pop server _doesn't_ give out
 dave> these two as seperate messages, then perhaps it and the
 dave> delivery agent on the pop serving machine should be examined.

Hello Dave,

I  need to say  thanks  to all you  friendly   folks trying  to help
me.  But, as far as I  could see this  must  be a problem  of a gnus
later then rgnus-0.50.

I   have never   had this  kind   of problems  using   rguns-0.50 or
gnus-5.2.40 or much older gnus.  I have not changed my emacs-19.34.1
or movemailbinary since many month.

I first saw this problem in  gnus-0.71 or so.  After loosing several
Mails I gave  up testing beta gnus  versions later than .50.

But now the problem  occurs again with  a  official gnus-5.4.8.   In
this  moment  I told  Kai   (my  friend an   Lisp  GURU)  about  the
problem. He was so kind  to suport me with his  initial mail in this
thread.

All I have changed is gnus ! So there must be the problem.

By  the way ... I love  to use gnus. But  the  sgnus t-shirts in xxl
from Lars are *not* fitting for 3 meter giants !

--
   Freundliche Grüße,
   Best regards,

   Michael Hühne

 ==================================== Michael Hühne
 =    ____                          = Lt. technische Vertriebsunterstützung
 =   /      /   /   ___    ___  _/_ = Email: Michael.Huehne@Germany.EU.net
 =  /----  /   /  /   /  /___/  /   = EUnet Deutschland GmbH
 = /____  /___/  /   /  /___   /    = Emil-Figge-Str. 80
 ===                              === D-44227 Dortmund Germany
 === Connecting Europe since 1982 === Tel.: +49/231/972-1071 Fax.: -1122

 #include <disclaimer.h>

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-08  9:25   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-08  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> OK, it seems that movemail creates a babyl file if reading from a POP3
> server.  I have already asked Michael to please run movemail manually
> to show you the babyl file that's produced when a message doesn't end
> with an empty line.
>
> Anyhow, it worked for him with Gnus 5.2.40 and Rgnus 0.50 (!) and
> discontinued working in rgnus 0.70 (or 0.71 or so).  It still doesn't
> work with 5.4.8.

Yes; the change was made around 0.70, I think.  The new version is
more correct than the last version, but it doesn't deal with these
types of misconstructed spool files.  The "From " header is supposed
to have a blank line before it, from what I understand.

@ 1997-02-08 11:50     ` visigoth
From: visigoth @ 1997-02-08 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Yes; the change was made around 0.70, I think.  The new version is
> more correct than the last version, but it doesn't deal with these
> types of misconstructed spool files.  The "From " header is supposed
> to have a blank line before it, from what I understand.

Okay--here's a quote from the document I found which talks about mbox
format.  It's from the man pages that come with qmail (yes,
D.J. Bernstein is a flaming, uh, maniac, but I think this is
reasonable):

       A message encoded in mbox format begins with a From_ line,
       continues with a series of non-From_ lines, and ends  with
       a  blank  line.   {...}

HOW A MESSAGE IS READ

       A reader scans through an  mbox  file  looking  for  From_
       lines.   Any  From_ line marks the beginning of a message.
       The reader should not attempt to  take  advantage  of  the
       fact  that  every  From_  line  (past the beginning of the
       file) is preceded by a blank line.

{...}

It's my belief, that regardless of what any standard says, Gnus should
accept messages in this broken format.  Remember: the goal is to
accept as many formats as possible, even if they're broken, and to
produce only correct output.

>From ...
some stuff
>From this line is in the message, not a new one
some more stuff

should never be generated as an mbox file, unless Content-Length is
included in the file, because From lines are quoted with >.  This is
*not* ambiguous.  The above can only be generated by two sequential
messages.

The fact that we know of at least one place that the above can happen
for two messages and no places where it can occur for a single message
leads me to a rather obvious conclusion.

Sorry to rant, but I don't see why this is being argued about.

John.

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-08 12:32       ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-02-08 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

visigoth@naiad.fac.cs.cmu.edu writes:

> Okay--here's a quote from the document I found which talks about mbox
> format.  It's from the man pages that come with qmail (yes,
> D.J. Bernstein is a flaming, uh, maniac, but I think this is
> reasonable):

Apropos: I think it would be nice if Gnus supported the less brain
damaged mbox format DJB advocates: When a plain text message is
imported to an mbox, all lines matching "^>*From " are quoted.  When
a mbox message is exported (displayed, saved to plain text), all
lines staring with `^>+From " are unquoted.

It has two advantages:

1) No loss of information occurs when used on new messages.  Ever.

2) When the algorithm is used on old messages already in an mbox
   folder, in 99.8% percent of the cases, the results are more
   correct.

JWZ hates it, but he is wrong and DJB is right.

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-08 16:08         ` Frank D. Cringle
From: Frank D. Cringle @ 1997-02-08 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
[ about mbox From_ quoting ]

>JWZ hates it, but he is wrong and DJB is right.

I agree.

--
Frank Cringle,      fdc@cliwe.ping.de
voice: (+49 2304) 467101; fax: 943357

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-08 19:11           ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1997-02-08 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank D Cringle writes:

> Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
> [ about mbox From_ quoting ]

>> JWZ hates it, but he is wrong and DJB is right.

> I agree.

As do I.  Isn't this what Gnus is doing now?  Or was it that only
archiving outgoing messages was changed?
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be billed at $250/message.

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-09  2:58         ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-02-09  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | Do not use Happy Fun Ball on
Prescient Technologies, Inc.              | concrete.

@ 1997-02-09  9:34           ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-02-09  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@PrescientTech.com> writes:

> So tell me, how does this algorithm know that a given quoted "From "
> line in the body of the message is one that should be dequoted?

Yes.  They all should, if created by the algorithm above.  This leads
to zero loss of information, unlike the traditional algorithm.

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-09 14:56             ` Randal Schwartz
From: Randal Schwartz @ 1997-02-09 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Rich Pieri, ding

Per> Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@PrescientTech.com> writes:

>> So tell me, how does this algorithm know that a given quoted "From "
>> line in the body of the message is one that should be dequoted?

Per> Yes.  They all should, if created by the algorithm above.  This leads
Per> to zero loss of information, unlike the traditional algorithm.

Huh?  What if my *original* message just happened to have ">From " in one
of the lines?  You've now turned it into "From ".

There is *no* way to get both "From " and ">From " safely from the
original message all the way to the end user, if "From " is also the
intermessage delimiter.  So, you must compromise on one or the other.

Most MUAs that I've seen turn "From " into ">From ", and then leave it
alone.  That seems reasonable, but it may just be that it's
particularly familiar.

Email: <merlyn@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger merlyn@ora.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me

* mbox quoting (was: Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines)
@ 1997-02-09 15:32               ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-02-09 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randal Schwartz <merlyn@stonehenge.com> writes:

> Huh?  What if my *original* message just happened to have ">From " in one
> of the lines?  You've now turned it into "From ".

No.  "\n>From " matches the regexp "^>*From " and is therefore quoted
by this algorithm when imported.  When exported, the quote is removed.
I.e.

plain file:

	>From whatever

becomes when added to the mbox:

	>>From whatever

and then again when exported to plain text:

	>From whatever

Zero corruption.

The arguments for are:

- When used on new messages, the new algorithm is always perfect.
- When used on old messages, the new algorithm is usually better.

The argument against:

- Better continue with well known corruption of new messages, than to
  make any risk of introducing new kinds of corruption to old messages.

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-09 16:19             ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-02-09 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | When not in use, Happy Fun Ball
Prescient Technologies, Inc.              | should be returned to its special

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-09 22:21               ` Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1997-02-09 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Let's try that again: tell me, how does this algorithm know that a given
> quoted "From " line in the body of the message is one that should be

I think what you're missing is that you *don't* just quote ^From
lines, you also quote ^>From, iteratively... you have to, it's the
only way to do it reliably. So, (xx inserted so the example doesn't
get mangled)

xxFrom
xx>From
xx>>From

in an actual *message* gets stored as

xx>From
xx>>From
xx>>>From

and then the MTA before displaying it strips one > from any >*From
line (that's a regexp "kleene" * not a glob *) yielding

xxFrom
xx>From
xx>>From

That's the Right Way(tm) to quote From lines.  I've *never* seen a
mailer actually do that; they all corrupt messages instead, taking
only any xxFrom and making it xx>From, then any xx>From and making
xxFrom even if it wasn't one it converted.

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-10  4:44                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-10  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> xxFrom
> xx>From
> xx>>From
>
> in an actual *message* gets stored as
>
> xx>From
> xx>>From
> xx>>>From
>
> and then the MTA before displaying it strips one > from any >*From
> line (that's a regexp "kleene" * not a glob *) yielding
>
> xxFrom
> xx>From
> xx>>From
>
> That's the Right Way(tm) to quote From lines.

This seems reasonable to me, and it's easy to implement.  I've put it
on the Quassia Gnus todo list.

@ 1997-02-10  4:45       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-10  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

visigoth@naiad.fac.cs.cmu.edu writes:

> It's my belief, that regardless of what any standard says, Gnus should
> accept messages in this broken format.  Remember: the goal is to
> accept as many formats as possible, even if they're broken, and to
> produce only correct output.
>
> >From ...
> some stuff
> >From this line is in the message, not a new one
> some more stuff
>
> should never be generated as an mbox file, unless Content-Length is
> included in the file, because From lines are quoted with >.  This is
> *not* ambiguous.  The above can only be generated by two sequential
> messages.

Uhm...  But the problem is that "From " lines in some mboxes *aren't*
quoted.

@ 1997-02-10  8:05         ` visigoth
From: visigoth @ 1997-02-10  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Uhm...  But the problem is that "From " lines in some mboxes *aren't*
> quoted.

Yes--but those mailboxes should be using a Content-Length header to
show how long the message is.  You do it one way or the other, not
both.  If the mboxes are CL-style, you shouldn't be looking at the
>From lines at all.  If From-lines are being looked at, all lines
starting with "From " are from-lines and should be interpreted as the
beginning of new messages.

BEGIN Rathole-Protocol v1
IHAVE From lines
IDONTWANT From lines
IHAVE From lines
IDONTWANT From lines

<grin>

John.

* Re: mbox quoting (was: Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines)
@ 1997-02-10 14:52                 ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-02-10 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 1997-02-10 15:30                   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-02-10 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@PrescientTech.com> writes:

> For the third time,

Please read Mark Eichin's explanation.

* Re: mbox quoting (was: Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines)
@ 1997-02-10 15:45                   ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1997-02-10 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@PrescientTech.com> writes:
> For the third time, how does this algorithm distinguish between a From
> line quoted by it and one that happens to have a funky citation leader
> that happens to match the regular expression?

Because it quotes ALL ">*From" lines!  ">>From" can only be in an
article, if the algorithm put the first > there.

Just like the NNTP server quotes all leading .'s, so it can be certain
that a single dot on the line means end of data.
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen             <URL:http://www.daimi.aau.dk/~gnort/>

	      I am *not* selling crack from my cubicle!!!

* Re: mbox quoting (was: Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines)
@ 1997-02-11  9:25                     ` Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1997-02-11  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Because it quotes ALL ">*From" lines!  ">>From" can only be in an
> article, if the algorithm put the first > there.

> Just like the NNTP server quotes all leading .'s, so it can be certain
> that a single dot on the line means end of data.

this would be a perfectly consistent and probably superior format but the
important thing to realize is that it would be a different format than the
existing mbox.  It's really far too late in the game to be fiddling with the
mbox format, you lose compatibility with an enormous number of other clients
and invent yet another mail format only one with no published spec and one
that's easily mistaken for another format. If you really dislike this little
wart in the mbox format use babyl, or mh, or any other mail format, it's just
not worth inventing a new one.

greg

* Re: mbox quoting (was: Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines)
@ 1997-02-11 11:36                       ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-02-11 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Greg Stark <gsstark@MIT.EDU> writes:

> you lose compatibility with an enormous number of other clients

You don't lose compatibility with any software.  The algorithm will
work on any syntactically correct mbox, and produce a syntactically
correct mbox.  All existing tools will continue to work.

The two cases are:

(1) When software using the old algorithm is used on mboxes created by
the new algorithm, no additional damage is done.

(2) When software using the new algorithm is used on mboxes created by
the old algorithm, the result is usually, but not always, better or
equal to what software using the old algorithm would produce.

Conclusion:

(a) The new algorithm doesn't corrupt new messages, protect them
against damage corruption by old clients, and usually work better on
already corrupted mboxes.

(b) The old algorithm corrupts old messages, and doesn't work very
well on already corrupted mboxes, but at least doesn't inflict further
damage on uncorrupted mboxes.

> If you really dislike this little wart in the mbox format use babyl,

BABYL is even more broken than mbox.  BABYL doesn't escape its
delimiter at all.

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-11 12:38           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-11 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

visigoth@naiad.fac.cs.cmu.edu writes:

> > Uhm...  But the problem is that "From " lines in some mboxes *aren't*
> > quoted.
>
> Yes--but those mailboxes should be using a Content-Length header to
> show how long the message is.

They should, but some don't.

> You do it one way or the other, not both.

You can do one, the other, both and neither.

@ 1997-02-11 12:52                         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-11 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> (1) When software using the old algorithm is used on mboxes created by
> the new algorithm, no additional damage is done.

Original mail (indented to avoid mailers choking):

    She said:

    >From the beginning of time
    >man has yearned to destroy the sun.

People who use old software on new mboxes will see things like:

    She said:

    >>From the beginning of time
    >man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I think this may be called "additional damage".

> (2) When software using the new algorithm is used on mboxes created by
> the old algorithm, the result is usually, but not always, better or
> equal to what software using the old algorithm would produce.

It is usually better, but people using new software on old mboxes
would then see:

    She said:

    From the beginning of time
    >man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'm not arguing that the new format is worse than the old -- it
isn't.  It's much better.  But we have to keep in mind that it is a
*new* format, and using it will introduce new problems.  It isn't
simply an improvement of the old format; it's a new, incompatible
format.

@ 1997-02-11 12:57                         ` Randal Schwartz
From: Randal Schwartz @ 1997-02-11 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Greg Stark, ding

Per> Greg Stark <gsstark@MIT.EDU> writes:
>> you lose compatibility with an enormous number of other clients

Per> You don't lose compatibility with any software.  The algorithm will
Per> work on any syntactically correct mbox, and produce a syntactically
Per> correct mbox.  All existing tools will continue to work.

Per> The two cases are:

Per> (1) When software using the old algorithm is used on mboxes created by
Per> the new algorithm, no additional damage is done.

Wrong.  >>From becomes >From, where it wasn't originally.  That looks
like damage to me.

Per> (2) When software using the new algorithm is used on mboxes created by
Per> the old algorithm, the result is usually, but not always, better or
Per> equal to what software using the old algorithm would produce.

Content of paragraph: zero. :-)

@ 1997-02-11 13:28                           ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-02-11 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Greg Stark, ding

Randal Schwartz <merlyn@stonehenge.com> writes:

> Per> (1) When software using the old algorithm is used on mboxes created by
> Per> the new algorithm, no additional damage is done.
>
> Wrong.  >>From becomes >From, where it wasn't originally.  That looks
> like damage to me.

Wrong.  The old algorithm doesn't unqote "^>>From" so no change happens.
You /could/ argue that it does damage by *not* unquoting it, though.

Perhaps you were talking about the case (2), where this can happen?

* Re: mbox quoting (was: Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines)
@ 1997-02-11 13:33                             ` Randal Schwartz
From: Randal Schwartz @ 1997-02-11 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Randal Schwartz, Greg Stark, ding

Per> Randal Schwartz <merlyn@stonehenge.com> writes:

Per> (1) When software using the old algorithm is used on mboxes created by
Per> the new algorithm, no additional damage is done.
>>
>> Wrong.  >>From becomes >From, where it wasn't originally.  That looks
>> like damage to me.

Per> Wrong.  The old algorithm doesn't unqote "^>>From" so no change happens.
Per> You /could/ argue that it does damage by *not* unquoting it, though.

Per> Perhaps you were talking about the case (2), where this can happen?

Oops.  Yes, I read this backwards.

Really, the two things are just plain incompatible.  I don't know why
you tried to explain it any better than that.  Using a "new" quoting
on an old box or an "old" quoting on a new box will break things.

@ 1997-02-11 13:44                           ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-02-11 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> People who use old software on new mboxes will see things like:
>
>     She said:
>
>     >>From the beginning of time
>     >man has yearned to destroy the sun.
>
> I think this may be called "additional damage".

Right.  My point was that the original would still be recoverable (by
using the new algorithm).  The message in the mbox does not change.
In this way it is different than the Content-Length hack.  If you use
the old tools on that a CL-mbox, it could do unrecoverable damage to
the mbox and the individual messages.

* Re: mbox quoting (was: Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines)
@ 1997-02-11 14:16                               ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-02-11 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Randal Schwartz <merlyn@stonehenge.com> writes:

> Really, the two things are just plain incompatible.

The old algorithm is incompatible with itself.

> Using a "new" quoting on an old box or an "old" quoting on a new box
> will break things.

Using "old" quoting on an "old" box will also break things, and worse
than either of the two above.

The only way to avoid breaking things is "new" quoting on a "new" box.

	"old" + "old" gives you: much damage, but damage we are used to.
	"old" + "new" gives you: less, but different, damage.
	"new" + "new" gives you: no damage.

* Re: mbox quoting (was: Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines)
@ 1997-02-11 15:00                               ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-02-11 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

@ 1997-02-11 16:13                                 ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-02-11 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid
Prescient Technologies, Inc.              | core, which, if exposed due to

* Re: mbox quoting (was: Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines)
@ 1997-02-11 18:43                           ` Sudish Joseph
From: Sudish Joseph @ 1997-02-11 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
> People who use old software on new mboxes will see things like:

If this is the only obstacle, that of using other MUA's, why not make
it a group parameter to nnfolder and be done with it?  nnml shouldn't
do any quoting at all, of course.

I would love to have the functionality.  It's obvious that there're a
few who don't want it.  Make it optional.

Why Randal couldn't munge all his mailboxes into either format in one
line of Perl is beyond me. :)
-Sudish

* Re: mbox quoting (was: Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines)
@ 1997-02-12  7:28                                   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-02-12  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@PrescientTech.com> writes:

Apparently I did again fail to make myself clear.

> PA> 	"old" + "old" gives you: much damage, but damage we are used to.

This refers to using the old dequoting rules (i.e. none) on an mbox
generated with the old quoting rules.

> PA> 	"old" + "new" gives you: less, but different, damage.

This refers to using the new dequoting rules on an mbox generated with
the old quoting rules.

> PA> 	"new" + "new" gives you: no damage.

This refers to using the new dequoting rules on an mbox generated with
the new quoting rules.

Hope this helps.

* Re: mbox quoting (was: Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines)
@ 1997-02-12  7:35                             ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-02-12  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sudish Joseph <sudish@mindspring.com> writes:

> Why Randal couldn't munge all his mailboxes into either format in one
> line of Perl is beyond me. :)

Because information is lost for messages stored with the old
algorithm.   You can easily remove the extra quoting performed by the
new algorithm, like this

	s/^>(>*From )/\1/

but I cannot see why anyone would want to do that.

* Re: mbox quoting (was: Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines)
@ 1997-02-12  8:47                             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-12  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sudish Joseph <sudish@mindspring.com> writes:

> If this is the only obstacle, that of using other MUA's, why not make
> it a group parameter to nnfolder and be done with it?

I think it's a good idea to use the new format -- but we have to be
aware that it is a new format; that's all.  The lossage will in all
probability be less by using the new format than the old.

@ 1997-02-12 12:52                               ` Randal Schwartz
From: Randal Schwartz @ 1997-02-12 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: The Ding List

Per> Sudish Joseph <sudish@mindspring.com> writes:

>> Why Randal couldn't munge all his mailboxes into either format in one
>> line of Perl is beyond me. :)

Per> Because information is lost for messages stored with the old
Per> algorithm.   You can easily remove the extra quoting performed by the
Per> new algorithm, like this

Per> 	s/^>(>*From )/\1/

Per> but I cannot see why anyone would want to do that.

No, that's not cool enough:

	s/^>(?=>*From )//;

New positive lookahead feature.  Very cool, literally "replace this >
with nothing *only* when it is followed by >*From".

And yours should have had $1 on right, not \1.  Oh well. :-)

Enough perl.  Back to ding-ing around.

@ 1997-02-04  3:22   ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1997-02-04  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> nnmail now uses a simpler (ie., more complicated) rule; involving
LMI> "\n\nFrom".

Sometimes Lars just has to show everyone that he operates on a completely
different plane...

 - J<

* Re: Gnus, movemail, POP3, trailing empty lines
@ 1997-02-04  1:59 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-04  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

"St. Suika Fenderson Roberts" <wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> writes:

> On the subject, a while back I was playing with my .forward file, and
> found that gnus would properly handle mails split by `^From ...' instead
> of the more standard `\n\nFrom ...' (I found this out by munging things
> until I found a way to echo a bare `\n' onto the end of each mail :/ )
>
> Has the code changed since?

Yes.  The Emacs regexp handler overflowed on the complex regexp used
to identify the "From " headers.  (And it didn't recognize some of
them.)

@ 1997-02-03 23:48 St. Suika Fenderson Roberts
From: St. Suika Fenderson Roberts @ 1997-02-03 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

visigoth@naiad.fac.cs.cmu.edu wrote:
> Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@PrescientTech.com> writes:

> > Then the mail server is messing up, because there *must* be one.  The
> > Unix mail separator is "\nFrom ...".  The newline must be there to
> > distinguish one message from the next.

> Actually, I read recently that "^From ..." is the separator.  Any
> reasonable mail agent ought to produce only "\nFrom ", but should
> accept any line beginning with "From " as beginning a new message,
> regardless of whether or not it was preceeded by a blank.

On the subject, a while back I was playing with my .forward file, and
found that gnus would properly handle mails split by `^From ...' instead
of the more standard `\n\nFrom ...' (I found this out by munging things
until I found a way to echo a bare `\n' onto the end of each mail :/ )

Has the code changed since?

	Suika
--
                      wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
An effective way to deal with predators is to taste terrible.