* rgnus 0.[49-52] and XEmacs ?
@ 1996-10-17 14:32 Jens Lautenbacher
From: Jens Lautenbacher @ 1996-10-17 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anybody gotten these newer versions of rgnus to work with xemacs?
I didn't, because topic mode seems to be screwed up (clicking on a
group hides it and generally just messes up the whole display) and
even without topics, I can not select an article inside the summary
buffer, as it gives me some errors like function gnus-make-overlay is
undefined.

Any clues?

By the way, I'm using tm7.81 if this is of any help... I have heard
there are some problems with tm and newer rgnus, though I can't think
of any problems to appear at least with topic mode.

	Jens

* Re: rgnus 0.[49-52] and XEmacs ?
@ 1996-10-17 15:03 ` Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1996-10-17 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Lautenbacher <jens@lemming5.lem.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> Has anybody gotten these newer versions of rgnus to work with xemacs?

Nope.

> I didn't, because topic mode seems to be screwed up (clicking on a
> group hides it and generally just messes up the whole display)

I noticed this too. I've send a report to gnus-bug. It seems Gnus
thinks the next available topic is also on all preceding newsgroup
lines, so clicking on the newsgroup causes the next available topic to
be expanded or collapsed.

> I can not select an article inside the summary buffer, as it gives
> me some errors like function gnus-make-overlay is undefined.

Likewise, also send a report on this to gnus-bug. Problem seems to be
that some redefine function in gnus-xmas.el isn't (correctly?)
called. When I ran that manually at least that part worked again.

> By the way, I'm using tm7.81 if this is of any help... I have heard
> there are some problems with tm and newer rgnus, though I can't think
> of any problems to appear at least with topic mode.

I'm using tm7.80, but maybe tm is the common factor to these bugs.

Hans

* Re: rgnus 0.[49-52] and XEmacs ?
@ 1996-10-17 15:11 ` Sean Lynch
From: Sean Lynch @ 1996-10-17 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jens> Has anybody gotten these newer versions of rgnus to work with
Jens> xemacs?  I didn't, because topic mode seems to be screwed up
Jens> (clicking on a group hides it and generally just messes up the
Jens> whole display) and even without topics, I can not select an
Jens> article inside the summary buffer, as it gives me some errors
Jens> like function gnus-make-overlay is undefined.

Jens> Any clues?

Jens> By the way, I'm using tm7.81 if this is of any help... I have
Jens> heard there are some problems with tm and newer rgnus, though I
Jens> can't think of any problems to appear at least with topic mode.

I have exactly the same problem.  I added the following hack to my
.gnus.el to fix it:

;; Temporary hack for problem with rgnus-0.50
(add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook 'gnus-xmas-define)

This is the only problem that seems to be left over from the problems
I started having with rgnus-0.50, including various variables' not
being set.

I am using rgnus-0.52 and tm7.88.  I have experienced no problems with
any of the tm stuff, though people have started complaining about
trying to read all my multipart email with elm... Of course, my
response is that they should all switch to Gnus.

Sean Lynch,  Internex Network Operations                 <noc@internex.net>
Voice: +1 408 327 2355  Fax: +1 408 496 5484  <URL:http://www.internex.net>
Technical support: <support@internex.net> <URL:http://support.internex.net>
Voice: +1 408 327 2200  Network status: x2        <net-status@internex.net>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 345 bytes --]

* Re: rgnus 0.[49-52] and XEmacs ?
@ 1996-10-17 15:46   ` Eric Hendrickson
From: Eric Hendrickson @ 1996-10-17 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jens Lautenbacher, ding

I'm using 0.52 right now, and was using 0.48 before, with XEmacs
19.14.  I haven't had any problems, except that I haven't taken the
time to figure out why all my groups are marked with *'s instead of
unread article counts.  I assume it is just not doing that
automatically anymore?  I'm not using tm, though.

		--eric
--
			   "Too much leeway in the marketing department."
[ALMOST LIVE, local Seattle humor program]

* Re: rgnus 0.[49-52] and XEmacs ?
@ 1996-10-17 16:05   ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-10-17 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

 [Red Gnus >v0.48 loses on XEmacs]

Jens> Any clues?

Jens> By the way, I'm using tm7.81 if this is of any help... I have
Jens> heard there are some problems with tm and newer rgnus, though I
Jens> can't think of any problems to appear at least with topic mode.

There's a patch available (and it's fixed in tm7.90).  The Red Gnus
detection code broke when a symbol disappeared.

Sean> I have exactly the same problem.  I added the following hack to my
Sean> .gnus.el to fix it:

Sean> ;; Temporary hack for problem with rgnus-0.50
Sean> (add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook 'gnus-xmas-define)

That sounds about right.  The Group buffer looks like the bad old
days before Lars fixed the extent boundaries code.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be billed at $250/message.

* Re: rgnus 0.[49-52] and XEmacs ?
@ 1996-10-17 17:00     ` Sean Lynch
From: Sean Lynch @ 1996-10-17 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Sean Lynch, Jens Lautenbacher, ding

I went from 0.48 to 0.50 and then to 0.51 and 0.52.  I did not
experience any problems with the transition itself, just with bugs
starting with 0.50 that caused the problems I described before.

I really don't know what's causing all the groups to be marked with
*s, but if it's just your mail groups I would say your active file has
been corrupted.  You might want to take a look at it.  If all your
mail groups are nnml, you can just remove the active file and Gnus
will regenerate it.  Not sure what it does with other mail backends.

You might also try killing all the mail groups... Gnus will
resubscribe you the next time you go back in.  Again, this only works
with nnml, as far as I know.

If you take my advice and it deletes everything, then you will know
you shouldn't have listened to me.

Eric> I'm using 0.52 right now, and was using 0.48 before, with XEmacs
Eric> 19.14.  I haven't had any problems, except that I haven't taken
Eric> the time to figure out why all my groups are marked with *'s
Eric> instead of unread article counts.  I assume it is just not doing
Eric> that automatically anymore?  I'm not using tm, though.

Eric> 		--eric -- "Too much leeway in the marketing
Eric> department."  [ALMOST LIVE, local Seattle humor program]

@ 1996-10-17 18:06       ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 1996-10-17 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sean Lynch writes:

  Sean> [1 <multipart/mixed>] [1.1 <text/plain; US-ASCII (7bit)>] I went
  Sean> from 0.48 to 0.50 and then to 0.51 and 0.52.  I did not experience
  Sean> any problems with the transition itself, just with bugs starting
  Sean> with 0.50 that caused the problems I described before.

You are not alone!

  Sean> I really don't know what's causing all the groups to be marked with
  Sean> *s, but if it's just your mail groups I would say your active file
  Sean> has been corrupted.  You might want to take a look at it.  If all
  Sean> your mail groups are nnml, you can just remove the active file and
  Sean> Gnus will regenerate it.  Not sure what it does with other mail
  Sean> backends.

I experience the same thing.  I am using nnfolder for all my mail groups and
rgnus-0.52 complains about illegal active file on all my nnfolder groups and
show *s instead of # of unread articles.  I tried to set
nnfolder-ignore-active-file to nil but it doesn't cure the problem.

May be Lars can give us some clues....

--
                                                                ^..^