From: Sudish Joseph <sudish@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Gnus startup
Date: 14 Jul 1996 11:45:12 -0400	[thread overview]

In article <w8s91cnq6wi.fsf@hler.ifi.uio.no>,
Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
> You mean it just displays the logo and then returns to the command
> loop and you can issue any commands?  That's odd.

No.  On XEmacs 19.14, GNUS can hang after displaying the (awesome)
logo.  XEmacs wakes up on any keypress or mouse activity and GNUS will
then connect to the server.  This is very much an XEmacs bug, it
occurs outside of GNUS as well.  IM-ignorant-O, it's hanging inside a
sit-for (or the equivalent).

You can avoid the hang by pressing another key immediately after
starting GNUS, but then you lose the logo screen coz the redisplay's
skipped on pending input.  Since the logo was one of the things that
prompted me to switch to XEmacs (honest, it's so mysteriously cool :-)
it's kinda hard to forgo viewing it.

Hmm, I recall some discussion way back about how the logo ate too many
colors.  Does anyone have that version of the logo?  I'd like to look
at it.

Hmm, can XEmacs put glyphs inside the modeline?  If so, a tiny version
in the modeline for GNUS buffers would rock.  As would modifying the
icon for an iconified GNUS buffer.

Completely unrelated:  How about not converting smilies that are at the
beginning of non-empty (other than the smiley itself) lines?  Too many
people use `:' as a quoting prefix.

Of course, another approach would be to extend gnus-cite to replace
recognized cite prefixes by a unique pixmap.  Add a "unsmiley" command
and things would be cool even when stuff like patches are viewed.

-Sudish