* Gnus Suggestion: Default score rules
@ 1996-04-02  8:47 Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-04-02  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

While scoring is very much a matter of personal taste, I think the
following two rules would make Gnus much more useful to novice users.

- Raise the score of followups to your own postings.

- Lower the score of massively crossposted articles.

So I suggest that a missing "all.SCORE" file would be interpreted as

	`(("followups"
	   (,user-mail-address 100 nil s))
	  ("xref"
	   (":.*:.*:.*:" -10 nil r))) ; or maybe a faster regexp...

Note that there isn't any mark or expunge, so to the new user the only
thing he would notice was the + or - in the beginning of the line, and
the bold/italic font if his frame support that.

* Re: Gnus Suggestion: Default score rules
@ 1996-04-02 20:01 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-02 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> So I suggest that a missing "all.SCORE" file would be interpreted as
>
> 	`(("followups"
> 	   (,user-mail-address 100 nil s))
> 	  ("xref"
> 	   (":.*:.*:.*:" -10 nil r))) ; or maybe a faster regexp...

While I think that most people would definitely like to have rules
such as these, I think it would be kinda naughty to have use them by
default.  Particularly the first one, which will result in lots and
lots of ADAPT files being created.

I also think it would be confusing that scoring on followups to your
own articles will suddenly disappear if you create an "all.SCORE".

So I don't think it's a good idea.  However, perhaps there should be a
menu (or whatever) of "Standard Useful Score Entries", and then the
user could just tick the ones she wants.  Perhaps using the `custom'
interface?

* Re: Gnus Suggestion: Default score rules
@ 1996-04-03 18:13   ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-04-03 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
>> So I suggest that a missing "all.SCORE" file would be interpreted as
>>
>> `(("followups"
>> (,user-mail-address 100 nil s))
>> ("xref"
>> (":.*:.*:.*:" -10 nil r))) ; or maybe a faster regexp...

Lars> While I think that most people would definitely like to have rules
Lars> such as these, I think it would be kinda naughty to have use them by
Lars> default.  Particularly the first one, which will result in lots and
Lars> lots of ADAPT files being created.

Lars> I also think it would be confusing that scoring on followups to your
Lars> own articles will suddenly disappear if you create an "all.SCORE".

Lars> So I don't think it's a good idea.  However, perhaps there should be a
Lars> menu (or whatever) of "Standard Useful Score Entries", and then the
Lars> user could just tick the ones she wants.  Perhaps using the `custom'
Lars> interface?

This is a good idea, but please don't put more stuff in ``custom''
until it runs on XEmacs too.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.