* Problem with %a in topic line formats
@ 2022-04-20 14:30 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2022-04-20 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Beta Testers

  Hello,

I've recently upgraded a Homebrew emacs-mac distribution and got a new
error launching Gnus, which I tracked down to my topic line format using
the %a specifier.

Gnus complains at launch that "entries" is a void variable, and the
culprit I think is here:

(defconst gnus-topic-line-format-alist
  '((?n name ?s)
    (?v visible ?s)
    (?i indentation ?s)
    (?g number-of-groups ?d)
    (?a (gnus-topic-articles-in-topic entries) ?d)
    (?A total-number-of-articles ?d)
    (?l level ?d)))

When I compare this with another installation that still works on
another Mac, I can see that Emacs goes from 27.1 to 28.1, but Gnus stays
at version 5.13. However, there /is/ a difference, namely, the fact that
in the more recent installation, the gnus-topic library has a
lexical-binding on (in the file's header).

I suspect this is the problem. Is this known? I don't know where this
comes from, but it's unfortunate that there are differences between two
gnus installs that advertise the saem version...

Thanks!

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Lisp, Jazz, Aïkido: http://www.didierverna.info