* Something similar to offlineimap for news server (gmane) and smtp?
@ 2014-10-18 15:02 Rainer M Krug
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-10-18 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

I really like my mail setup with offlineimap. There are only two things
I would like to have:

1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download my
news into a local news server and then read it when offline and

2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or can
I do this in gnus?)

Any tips on how I could achieve this? I would, particularly for 1,
prefer out of gnus solutions.

Thanks,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

* Re: Something similar to offlineimap for news server (gmane) and smtp?
@ 2014-10-18 15:10 ` Rainer M Krug
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-10-18 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sorry - forgot os: OS X, using homebrew.

For 2) postfix seems to be the solution - see
e.g. http://www.checkmarkmedia.com/node/10

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

* Re: Something similar to offlineimap for news server (gmane) and smtp?
@ 2014-10-18 15:23 ` Glyn Millington
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Glyn Millington @ 2014-10-18 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Hi
>
> I really like my mail setup with offlineimap. There are only two things
> I would like to have:
>
> 1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download my
> news into a local news server and then read it when offline and

Leafnode

atb

Glyn

* Re: Something similar to offlineimap for news server (gmane) and smtp?
@ 2014-10-18 15:25 ` Adam Sjøgren
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-10-18 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> 1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download my
> news into a local news server and then read it when offline and

Isn't this the exact use-case for the Gnus Agent?

> 2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
> send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or can
> I do this in gnus?)

You could save your outgoing messages as drafts, and then send them when
online, but it isn't quite as automated as installing an MTA locally.

> Any tips on how I could achieve this? I would, particularly for 1,
> prefer out of gnus solutions.

Because?

I guess Leafnode could be used - just be careful that you don't ask it
to download the entire Linux kernel mailing list or similar, because
you'll probably be auto-blocked from Gmane.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "No more than that, but very powerful all the same;          Adam Sjøgren
  simple things are good."                               asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Something similar to offlineimap for news server (gmane) and smtp?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-10-19  2:57 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-10-19  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Hi
>
> I really like my mail setup with offlineimap. There are only two things
> I would like to have:
>
> 1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download my
> news into a local news server and then read it when offline and
>
> 2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
> send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or can
> I do this in gnus?)

If you use msmtp, there's a set of scripts floating around called msmtp
queue that does this. I've though about trying it out, but haven't yet,
as there's a whiff of baling-wire-and-duct-tape about it, but maybe
that's unfair.

Anyway, another possibility.

> Any tips on how I could achieve this? I would, particularly for 1,
> prefer out of gnus solutions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rainer

* Re: Something similar to offlineimap for news server (gmane) and smtp?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-10-21  8:32 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-10-21  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Saturday, 18 Oct 2014 at 17:02, Rainer M Krug wrote:

[...]

> 2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
> send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or can
> I do this in gnus?)

gnus does this if you use "plugging" and "unplugging".  This may depend
on enabling the gnus agent system.  If unplugged, any email you send
gets put in a gnus queue.  All emails in the queue will be sent when you
"plug" back in (J j).

I use this all the time.  I read my emails on the commute to and from
work and write all my responses while on the train.  When I get to the
office or home and reconnect to the network, all my emails get sent.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 25.0.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.12 + evil-git-59cdb8f

* Re: Something similar to offlineimap for news server (gmane) and smtp?
@ 2014-11-07  9:10   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-11-07  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Saturday, 18 Oct 2014 at 17:02, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> 2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
>> send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or can
>> I do this in gnus?)
>
> gnus does this if you use "plugging" and "unplugging".  This may depend
> on enabling the gnus agent system.  If unplugged, any email you send
> gets put in a gnus queue.  All emails in the queue will be sent when you
> "plug" back in (J j).

Thanks - haven't thought about that - easy to use, no configuration
needed, so I'll use it.

Thanks

> I use this all the time.  I read my emails on the commute to and from
> work and write all my responses while on the train.  When I get to the
> office or home and reconnect to the network, all my emails get sent.

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Something similar to offlineimap for news server (gmane) and smtp?
@ 2014-11-07  9:11   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-11-07  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I really like my mail setup with offlineimap. There are only two things
>> I would like to have:
>>
>> 1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download my
>> news into a local news server and then read it when offline and
>>
>> 2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
>> send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or can
>> I do this in gnus?)
>
> If you use msmtp, there's a set of scripts floating around called msmtp
> queue that does this. I've though about trying it out, but haven't yet,
> as there's a whiff of baling-wire-and-duct-tape about it, but maybe
> that's unfair.

Yes - I think I am using msmtp, but for the moment I'll stick with Eric
F.'s suggestion, as it does not require any changes in the system.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Something similar to offlineimap for news server (gmane) and smtp?
@ 2014-11-07  9:24   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-11-07  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> 1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download my
>> news into a local news server and then read it when offline and
>
> Isn't this the exact use-case for the Gnus Agent?

I just realized that - J s is the solution here. Never looked at the
agent before...

>> 2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
>> send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or can
>> I do this in gnus?)
>
> You could save your outgoing messages as drafts, and then send them when
> online, but it isn't quite as automated as installing an MTA locally.

As Eric F. pointed out, here is the agent also the solution.

>> Any tips on how I could achieve this? I would, particularly for 1,
>> prefer out of gnus solutions.
>
> Because?

I don't know - probably because I am using dovecot locally and like the
freedom to have a simple configuration for all mail / news clients I
use? By using a local solution, I could specify my newsgroups oce
(e.g. in leafnode as you say) and then simply connect from my news
client to leafnode and have all newsgroups there.

> I guess Leafnode could be used - just be careful that you don't ask it
> to download the entire Linux kernel mailing list or similar, because
> you'll probably be auto-blocked from Gmane.

Thanks - I'll look into leafnode then.

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Something similar to offlineimap for news server (gmane) and smtp?
@ 2014-11-07  9:28   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-11-07  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glyn Millington; +Cc: ding

Glyn Millington <glyn.millington@gmail.com> writes:

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I really like my mail setup with offlineimap. There are only two things
>> I would like to have:
>>
>> 1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download my
>> news into a local news server and then read it when offline and
>
> Leafnode

Thanks

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Something similar to offlineimap for news server (gmane) and smtp?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-07  9:38 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-11-07  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

Hi Rainer,

> I really like my mail setup with offlineimap. There are only two
> things I would like to have:
>
> 1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download
> my news into a local news server and then read it when offline and

As others already suggested, using the gnus agent is probably the best
approach (and I also use that).  But anyway, similar to offlineimap but
for newsgroups is the local newsserver leafnode.  In that, you can
configure many remote nntp servers, say, gmane and the one you use for
traditional nntp groups, and then you simply connect to localhost from
within gnus and see all usenet and gmane groups.

> 2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
> send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or
> can I do this in gnus?)

When you save a mail/posting during composition, it'll be stored in your
drafts group.  So if you are offline, just save it and kill the buffer.
Then you can send it later when you're online again.

Of course, that's far from automatic but it works well enough for me.
The good thing about it that you can be really sure if and when your
mails have been sent.

Bye,
Tassilo

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Something similar to offlineimap for news server (gmane) and smtp?
@ 2014-11-10  9:08   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-11-10  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding