From: Jonas Steverud <tvrud@bredband.net>
Subject: Re: Configuring spam.el: A few questions
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:57:07 +0200	[thread overview]

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, tvrud@bredband.net wrote:
[...]
>> As I've understood it, all spam marked mails will be moved to the
>> Spam-group due to the topic parameter above, but then?
>
> With a spam exit processor, the spam will also be processed before
> it's moved.  Also, it will be marked expired.

I.e. if I set

nnfolder:Spam:
 ((spam-contents gnus-group-spam-classification-spam)
 (ham-marks
  (gnus-ticked-mark)))

 And the Email topic:
 ((spam-process-destination . nil) ;; Necessary at all?
 (spam-process
  (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-bogofilter)))

And use spam-split in fancy-splitting to nnfolder:Spam I will have the
following setup:

1. Detected spam during splitting will end up in nnfolder:Spam

2. Undetected spam will be split as an ordinary email.

I then start to read my mail and

a. Spam in ordinary groups (e.g. nnfolder:Ding) will be marked with
   M-d and then bogofilter will be trained on it upon exit. The spam
   will be marked expired.

b. Emails in nnfolder:Spam will be considered spam unless I tick 'em.

b1. Ticked emails are moved to ham-process-destination (which I will
    set on topic level to my main mailbox) and bogofilter will be
    trained on it as ham after adding
      (ham-process (gnus-group-ham-exit-processor-bogofilter)) to the
    Email topic parameter.

b2. Spam (i.e. all emails I do not tick) is ... now my understanding
    starts to slip again. It is marked as expired by
    (spam-contents gnus-group-spam-classification-spam), right? Is
    bogofilter trained on it again? (Doesn't make sense but have to ask.)
    (Will the emails in the Spam group have the $-sign automagically?
    [Have to ask again.])

If this is the case, I will "only" need to add the following to .gnus
and then I'm past the finish line, right?

(setq   gnus-registry-cache-file (concat gnus-dribble-directory
					 "gnus.registry.eld")

	spam-use-bogofilter t
	spam-use-BBDB t ;; Whitelist
	spam-log-to-registry t

	spam-mark-ham-unread-before-move-from-spam-group t
	)

(spam-initialize)
(gnus-registry-initialize)

I also need to add (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent) to the
split rules.

I quite don't understand the difference between the
(: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent) and the
(: nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent). Anyone that cares to explain the
difference and/or the idea behind the registry?

>> If I've understood it correctly, if I set the group parameters of
>> nnfolder:Spam to
>>      ((spam-contents gnus-group-spam-classification-spam))
>> everything will work as expected, i.e. bogofilter is trained on the
>> contents of nnfolder:Spam and the content is not moved anywhere,
>> right?
>
> What that parameter does is mark all UNSEEN articles in the Spam group
> as spam when you enter the Spam group.

Unseen = all emails that for one reason or the other is nor shown in
the summary buffer, e.g. read emails. Or is there some other (Gnus
specific) terminology I've missed?

> I recommend to use a "Spam" and a "Train" folder since above you're
> trying to use the "Spam" folder as both

OK. I will try to avoid the Train folder if possible, which according
to my understanding above I can.

Thanks for the help so far! :-)

--
(        http://hem.bredband.net/steverud/        !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )