* Wow, the mailcap stuff works
@ 1998-08-30  0:01 SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1998-08-30  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have the folling in /etc/mailcap:

# The following displays Japanese text at sites where the "kterm" program is installed:
text/plain; kterm -geometry +0+0  -e more %s /dev/null; test=test "`echo %{charset} | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]'`" = iso-2022-jp

Should /etc/mailcap be followed when inline methods are available?
(This has always annoyed me about the W3 defaults -- it prefers to
start a dumb viewer instead of displaying inline when it can).

* Re: Wow, the mailcap stuff works
@ 1998-08-30 10:02 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-08-30 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

SL Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:

> I have the folling in /etc/mailcap:
>
> # The following displays Japanese text at sites where the "kterm" program is installed:
> text/plain; kterm -geometry +0+0  -e more %s /dev/null; test=test "`echo %{charset} | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]'`" = iso-2022-jp
>
> Should /etc/mailcap be followed when inline methods are available?

I think /etc/mailcap should always be followed.  I also think there
should be a way to choose what you want from mailcap itself.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Wow, the mailcap stuff works
@ 1998-08-30 10:04 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-30 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

SL Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:

> Should /etc/mailcap be followed when inline methods are available?
> (This has always annoyed me about the W3 defaults -- it prefers to
> start a dumb viewer instead of displaying inline when it can).

I think there should be an interface to override the /etc/mailcap
file.  Like:

(mm-define-method "image/gif"
		   (lambda (picture) (do-that-inline-thing ... picture ...)))

* Re: Wow, the mailcap stuff works
@ 1998-08-30 10:45   ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1998-08-30 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes in ding@gnus.org:

> SL Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:
>> Should /etc/mailcap be followed when inline methods are available?
>> (This has always annoyed me about the W3 defaults -- it prefers to
>> start a dumb viewer instead of displaying inline when it can).

> I think there should be an interface to override the /etc/mailcap
> file.  Like:

> (mm-define-method "image/gif"
> 		   (lambda (picture) (do-that-inline-thing ... picture ...)))

O.K.  Fair enough.  I'd like to see this autodetected (and not by
editor type or version), but that's clearly a refinement.

How would you propose to make that work with charsets?  If I'm running
in XEmacs/Mule I would like to see Japanese inline.  If I'm running in
XEmacs/no-Mule I would like to see it punted to /etc/mailcap methods.
Similarly for KOI8, etc.

* Re: Wow, the mailcap stuff works
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-30 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

SL Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:

> How would you propose to make that work with charsets?  If I'm running
> in XEmacs/Mule I would like to see Japanese inline.  If I'm running in
> XEmacs/no-Mule I would like to see it punted to /etc/mailcap methods.
> Similarly for KOI8, etc.

Hm.  I guess the general presentation thingie (however we decide to do
that) should treat text message the same as other messages -- if they
are inlinable, they should be inlined, and if not, they should be
forked off to external viewers.

* Re: Wow, the mailcap stuff works
@ 1998-08-31 10:36       ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1998-08-31 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes in ding@gnus.org:

> SL Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:
>> How would you propose to make that work with charsets?  If I'm running
>> in XEmacs/Mule I would like to see Japanese inline.  If I'm running in
>> XEmacs/no-Mule I would like to see it punted to /etc/mailcap methods.
>> Similarly for KOI8, etc.

> Hm.  I guess the general presentation thingie (however we decide to do
> that) should treat text message the same as other messages -- if they
> are inlinable, they should be inlined, and if not, they should be
> forked off to external viewers.

Right.  For text, you should probably arrange to prefer kterm (if it
found) above anything else since the latest versions handle almost
anything.