* Mail directory, gnus, and KDE Kmail
@ 2004-10-24 10:38 J. David Boyd
       [not found] ` <m2r7nobduu.fsf-BQINsHsjPNnQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: J. David Boyd @ 2004-10-24 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Every time that I send a message with gnus, it seems to be creating a Mail
directory in my home directory.  The next time that I start Kmail, I get a
message that "Mail directory exists, cannot copy mail", and Kmail starts
showing no mail from prior runs.

I've grepped through the gnus source, but don't seem to be able to locate the
code that creates the Mail directory.  It has to be there, but somehow I'm
missing it.

Any clues as to what file, so I can find out what the variable is and fill it
with some innocuous name and leave Kmail alone?

Dave

* Re: Mail directory, gnus, and KDE Kmail
       [not found] ` <m2r7nobduu.fsf-BQINsHsjPNnQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-10-24 14:58   ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2004-10-24 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 06:38:17 -0400 J David Boyd wrote:

JDB> I've grepped through the gnus source, but don't seem to be able to locate the
JDB> code that creates the Mail directory.  It has to be there, but somehow I'm
JDB> missing it.

Guess this is what you are looking for, although I believe its default
value is "~/News/"...
,----[ C-h v gnus-directory RET ]
| gnus-directory's value is "~/Mail/"
|
| Documentation:
| *Directory variable from which all other Gnus file variables are derived.
|
| Note that Gnus is mostly loaded when the `.gnus.el' file is read.
| This means that other directory variables that are initialized from
| this variable won't be set properly if you set this variable in `.gnus.el'.
| Set this variable in `.emacs' instead.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| Defined in `gnus'.
`----

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

@ 2004-10-24 15:04 ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2004-10-24 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think message-directory is what you should look into. Default value is
"~/Mail/".
You can see I have set it differently.

,----[ C-h v message-directory RET ]
| message-directory's value is "~/gnus/mail/"
|
| *Directory from which all other mail file variables are derived.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| Defined in `message'.
`----
HTH,

--
我有数行泪
不落十余年

* Re: Mail directory, gnus, and KDE Kmail
@ 2004-10-24 18:44   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2004-10-24 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:

> I think message-directory is what you should look into. Default value is
> "~/Mail/".
> You can see I have set it differently.

message-directory is what was causing my problem.  Thanks!

Dave