* BBDB Integration
@ 2021-12-06 10:51 Daniel Fleischer
From: Daniel Fleischer @ 2021-12-06 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

Is there a simple way for BBDB to learn the contacts in the newsgroups
I'm reading and/or easily add contacts when reading news?

--

Daniel Fleischer

* Re: BBDB Integration
@ 2021-12-06 10:58 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2021-12-06 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Daniel Fleischer wrote:

> Is there a simple way for BBDB to learn the contacts in the
> newsgroups I'm reading and/or easily add contacts when
> reading news?

`ecomplete', maybe ...

(info "(message) Mail Aliases")

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: BBDB Integration
@ 2021-12-06 11:44   ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2021-12-06 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On  6 December 2021 11:58 Emanuel Berg, wrote:

> Daniel Fleischer wrote:
>
>> Is there a simple way for BBDB to learn the contacts in the
>> newsgroups I'm reading and/or easily add contacts when
>> reading news?
>
> `ecomplete', maybe ...
>
> (info "(message) Mail Aliases")

I use: ":" to add contacts

: runs the command bbdb-mua-display-sender (found in
gnus-summary-mode-map), which is an interactive compiled Lisp function
in ‘bbdb-mua.el’.

It is bound to :.

(bbdb-mua-display-sender &optional UPDATE-P)

* Re: BBDB Integration
@ 2021-12-06 12:46 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-12-06 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday,  6 Dec 2021 at 12:51, Daniel Fleischer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a simple way for BBDB to learn the contacts in the newsgroups
> I'm reading and/or easily add contacts when reading news?

Check bbdb-mua-auto-update.

--
Eric S Fraga with org 9.5.1 in Emacs 29.0.50 on Debian 11.1

* Re: BBDB Integration
@ 2021-12-06 13:44   ` Daniel Fleischer
From: Daniel Fleischer @ 2021-12-06 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Monday,  6 Dec 2021 at 12:51, Daniel Fleischer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a simple way for BBDB to learn the contacts in the newsgroups
>> I'm reading and/or easily add contacts when reading news?
>
> Check bbdb-mua-auto-update.

Thanks, adding these:

    (setq bbdb-update-records-p 'query)
    (bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'gnus 'message 'mu4a)

enabling me to save contacts.

--

Daniel Fleischer

* Re: BBDB Integration
@ 2021-12-06 14:00     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-12-06 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Daniel,

I'm glad you got it working.

On Monday,  6 Dec 2021 at 15:44, Daniel Fleischer wrote:
>     (setq bbdb-update-records-p 'query)

Depending on the newsgroup or mailing list, you might find 'query rather
tiring... I use 'search instead and then manually add entries using

C-u :

i.e. bbdb-mua-display-records, to prompt for any entries to add from the
current post/message.  By using 'search, I know which ones are already
present in my bbdb.

You may also wish to have a look at the bbdb-message-all-addresses
variable.
--

@ 2021-12-06 16:09       ` Daniel Fleischer
From: Daniel Fleischer @ 2021-12-06 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric S Fraga [2021-12-06 Mon 14:00] wrote:

> Depending on the newsgroup or mailing list, you might find 'query rather
> tiring... I use 'search instead and then manually add entries using
>
> C-u :

Even better!

--

Daniel Fleischer

* Re: BBDB Integration
@ 2021-12-07 17:33     ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2021-12-07 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Aloha,

This might more properly go in the BBDB mailing list but I'm
continuing this thread.

Here are some variables that I set when capturing mail
addresses from gnus to BBDB.

(setq bbdb-mua-auto-update-p 'bbdb-select-message)
;;; We also need to change the default update behavior.
(setq bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p '(t . query))
(setq bbdb-update-records-p 'create)
;;; This causes trouble. But setting to nil causes more trouble as too
;;; many spurious dups are found.
(setq bbdb-allow-duplicates t)
;;; Auto-extend and auto-update names and emails.
(setq bbdb-add-mails t)
;;; BUT don't change primary names and bug about AKA, new mails, etc.
(setq bbdb-add-name nil)
(setq bbdb-add-aka t)
(setq bbdb-new-mails-primary nil)
(setq bbdb-ignore-redundant-emails t)
;;; Updates are silent.
(setq bbdb-mua-pop-up nil)

Also something to look into is bbdb-accept-message-alist and
bbdb-ignore-message-alist. I use these to avoid capturing
addresses from some sources, for instance, I don't want to
capture every single address on every single mailing list. I
especially don't want a zillion "donotreply" addresses in the
database.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i