* New Agent stuff ..
@ 1999-07-05 18:03 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-07-05 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars writes:
> Yup.  Fix in Pterodactyl Gnus v0.91.

I see new code and mention in the change log of new functions

+ 1999-07-04 04:35:28  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@gnus.org>
+
+ 	* gnus-agent.el (gnus-agent-save-active-1): New function.
+ 	(gnus-agent-save-active): use it.
+ 	(gnus-agent-save-groups): Ditto.
+
+ 	* gnus-cache.el (gnus-cache-write-active): Use it.
+
+ 	* gnus-agent.el (gnus-agent-write-active): Use it.
+
+ 	* gnus-util.el (gnus-write-active-file): New function.
+
+ 	* gnus-agent.el (gnus-agent-write-active): New function to keep
+ 	lower boundaries and canceled groups.
+ 	(gnus-agent-save-groups): Use it.
+ 	(gnus-agent-save-active): Use it.
+ 	(gnus-agent-save-group-info): Only write active files.
+ 	(gnus-agent-expire): Update active file.
+

Its a bit of a puzzle how any of this works or what it is supposed to
do unless one is well conversant with lisp code.

Finding the functions in the *.el files, I hoped for some comments or
even better, something in the info pages.  At least some clues as to
how to use this.

Am I just not finding documentation of some kind? or a pointer...

When first starting pgnus-0.91, my first move was to put some comments
in GroupParams p of a couple of agentized groups indicating what the oldest
articles were and marking them with ?.  Just 7-8 in two groups.

comp.lang.awk
gnu.emacs.gnus

Some of those messages have already disappeared from gnus agent's
view. in the 2 days or so that have elapsed.

If this is fixed, how do you view the server expunged posts.

* Re: New Agent stuff ..
@ 1999-07-06 15:52 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-07-06 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Its a bit of a puzzle how any of this works or what it is supposed to
> do unless one is well conversant with lisp code.

Uhm.  You're supposed to push `g'.  :-)

> If this is fixed, how do you view the server expunged posts.

Articles that have already disappeared won't be made visible.  This
only fixes things for new(er) articles.

* Re: New Agent stuff ..
@ 1999-07-06 21:23   ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 1999-07-06 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > If this is fixed, how do you view the server expunged posts.
>
> Articles that have already disappeared won't be made visible.  This
> only fixes things for new(er) articles.

I'm not shure if I understand this. Do you mean that if the (new) agent
downloads an article (which I would like to keep) and the article is
expunged later on my ISP's server, will it's local copy still be visible
to the agent or not?

Robert Epprecht

* Re: New Agent stuff ..
@ 1999-07-07  0:46   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-07-07  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Its a bit of a puzzle how any of this works or what it is supposed to
> > do unless one is well conversant with lisp code.
>
> Uhm.  You're supposed to push `g'.  :-)

Ooops.. that sly stealth command again.... : )

> > If this is fixed, how do you view the server expunged posts.
>
> Articles that have already disappeared won't be made visible.  This
> only fixes things for new(er) articles.

You may have missed part of my previous post, where I explained that
some posts that *were* visible when I first installed pgnu-0.91 are no
longer visible.  i.e.  Some messages have been expunged since
installing "91" and those messages have disappeared from gnus view.
Some more went south today.

Or are you saying that only messages downloaded by "91" or later will
be kept visible? i.e.  I won't see  any change until messages of July
4 (pgnus-0.91 installation date) or later are expunged by server.

* Re: New Agent stuff ..
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-07-08  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@sunweb.ch> writes:

> I'm not shure if I understand this. Do you mean that if the (new) agent
> downloads an article (which I would like to keep) and the article is
> expunged later on my ISP's server, will it's local copy still be visible
> to the agent or not?

It will be visible.  Unless there's a bug in the code.  :-)

* Re: New Agent stuff ..
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-07-08  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Or are you saying that only messages downloaded by "91" or later will
> be kept visible?

No, but it sounds (from your other posts) like there's something
seriously wrong with your Agent setup, I think.

* Agent does not loose articles any more
@ 1999-08-08 15:43       ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 1999-08-08 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Robert Epprecht <epprecht@sunweb.ch> writes:
>
> > Do you mean that if the (new) agent downloads an article
> > (which I would like to keep) and the article is expunged
> > later on my ISP's server, will it's local copy still be
> > visible to the agent or not?
>
> It will be visible.  Unless there's a bug in the code.  :-)

There's no one left :-)

I've tested this now for a while with Pterodactyl Gnus v0.95
I didn't loose any articles any more.

Thank you, Lars.

Robert Epprecht