* how to start unplugged gracefully
@ 1998-12-19  2:13 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-12-19  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Opening gnus "unplugged" is easy enough to do.
Either " emacs -l ~/.gnus -f gnus-unplugged" from the command line or
M-x "gnus-unplugged" from a running emacs once "gnus-agent" libraries
are loaded.

Only problem is neither way allows access to postings in the  "agent"
directory. That is, no news  groups can be entered even though there
are postings on disk  in the "agent" directory.  Attempts  to open
such groups gives the messages:

 o Retrieving newsgroup: gnu.emacs.gnus...
 o Opening nntp server on enews.newsguy.com...
 o Opened server enews.newsguy.com using directory
 o ~/News/agent/nntp/enews.newsguy\.com/
 o Couldn't request group gnu.emacs.gnus: Opened server enews.newsguy.com
 o using di\rectory ~/News/agent/nntp/enews.newsguy.com/

Am I just the last one to figure out how to access the Agent directory
starting unplugged?  Or is it even possible to do so?

Starting plugged then going unplugged works fine.  But it is sometimes
not possible to have an internet connection.

--
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Running Redhat Linux 5.1

* Re: how to start unplugged gracefully
@ 1998-12-19  8:15 ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 1998-12-19  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> ... is it even possible to do so?

no problem here:
alias gu='emacs -f gnus-unplugged'

(Gnus v5.6.44 emacs 20.3)

Robert Epprecht

* Re: how to start unplugged gracefully
@ 1998-12-19 22:09 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-19 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  o Opened server enews.newsguy.com using directory
>  o ~/News/agent/nntp/enews.newsguy\.com/

That's weird.  What's that backslash doing in the path?