From: Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com>
Subject: Re: encrypting mailfiles...
Date: 15 Feb 1996 11:59:32 -0800	[thread overview]

>>>>> "Andy" == Andy Eskilsson <mpt95aes@pt.hk-r.se> writes:

Andy> Well the date has come, Big Brother wants to read our mailboxes (Well
Andy> its not really so bad, but a thought struck me), so any thoughts about
Andy> automagic encryption/decryption of my saved mail?

Andy> 	/andy

When the code is working (it wasn't the last time I checked) reading
encrypted messages and encrypted mailing lists/nnml groups with Gnus
is as easy as reading any ``normal'' mailing list.  Doing automatic
encryption and decryption isn't very useful due to the need to have
the unencrypted password hanging around somewhere.

The most useful mode I can think of would be to PGP encrypt all your
e-mail traffic and keep any sensitive e-mail in an encrypted nnfolder.
I think hooks would be enough to keep the whole folder encrypted.
I'll be experimenting with stuff like this pretty quick if the current
restraining order on the CDA isn't renewed (there should be news on
that Thursday, 15-Feb).

As an aside, due to certain language being considered indecent and
punishable as a felony in the US, access has been removed to the
hypermail archive of this list and the Gnus 5 manual (but not the
September Gnus manual, that was voluntarily censored) on
www.miranova.com.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.