* Missing function 'gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces' using gnus from git
@ 2014-07-31  8:50 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-07-31  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

In order to apply this patch
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/84718 I am trying to
use gnus from git. I cloned the repository and compiled it, but when
I try to start gnus I get this backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces)
  gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces(1 face)
  gnus-group-highlight-line("dummy.group" 1 23)
  gnus-group-insert-group-line("dummy.group" 0 nil 0 nil)
  gnus-update-group-mark-positions()
  gnus-group-mode()
  gnus-group-setup-buffer()
  gnus-group-list-groups(nil)

Note that I have not applied the patch yet, this is happening with
a fresh clone of the repository.

I'm using emacs 24.3.1.

Is this a (known) bug?

Thanks a lot,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

* Re: Missing function 'gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces' using gnus from git
@ 2014-07-31 16:56 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-07-31 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> I try to start gnus I get this backtrace:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces)

That's odd, if I ask for documentation of that function, I get:

,----[ C-h f gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces RET ]
| gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces is a compiled
| Lisp function in `gnus-util.el'.
|
| (gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces POS PROP)
|
| The same as `get-text-property', except where `gnus-face' is set.
| If so, and PROP is `face', return the second element of its value.
| Otherwise, return the value.
`----

Admittedly with git Gnus updated in May, and GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Som magi ett ljus man drunknar i                            Adam Sjøgren
  Det finns små trick som får folk                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Missing function 'gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces' using gnus from git
@ 2014-07-31 17:02 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-07-31 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Is this a (known) bug?

Just updated from git; I can't reproduce the problem - the function is
found in gnus-util.el by my Emacs.

Did you do ./configure && make in your checkout, and configure Emacs to
get Gnus from there?

Something similar to:

  ; My own Gnus:
  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/gnus/lisp")

in ~/.emacs.d/init.el?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "It troo! Dat darn Kahlfin stole ma spacechip!"              Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Missing function 'gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces' using gnus from git
@ 2014-07-31 17:30   ` David Goldberg
From: David Goldberg @ 2014-07-31 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Apologies for replying outside of gnus.

Is the OP perhaps running on Fedora 20?  If so,  the default emacs installation sets up your load path such that you end up with a old version of,  I think, gnus-utils, that does not have that function.   I reported this several months ago here and as a bug report to Fedora which has not been acknowledged.   My workaround is to remove the site-start.el they provide and remember to do so any time emacs gets updated by yum.
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Missing function 'gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces' using gnus from git
@ 2014-08-06  7:29   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-08-06  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2014-07-31 19:02, asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> Is this a (known) bug?
>
> Just updated from git; I can't reproduce the problem - the function is
> found in gnus-util.el by my Emacs.

I confirm that I also see it in gnus-util.

> Did you do ./configure && make in your checkout,

Yes.

> and configure Emacs to get Gnus from there?
>
> Something similar to:
>
>   ; My own Gnus:
>   (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/gnus/lisp")
>
> in ~/.emacs.d/init.el?

This is what I have in my init file:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/src/gnus/lisp")
(require 'gnus-load)

(add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "~/src/gnus/texi/")
#+end_src

The strange thing is that if I manually evaluate the function I can then
start gnus.

The problem may be a missing autoload somewhere. If I had the following
to my init file, then I can start gnus.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(autoload 'gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces "gnus-util")
#+end_src

Should this be considered a bug? If so, where do I report it?

Thanks,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Missing function 'gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces' using gnus from git
@ 2014-08-07  2:16     ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2014-08-07  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> The problem may be a missing autoload somewhere. If I had the following
> to my init file, then I can start gnus.

> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (autoload 'gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces "gnus-util")
> #+end_src

> Should this be considered a bug? If so, where do I report it?

Perhaps my earlier inquiry didn't get through.  Any chance you are running on Fedora 19 or later?  I encountered what I think is the same issue about this time last year.  Fedora delivers a site-start.el file that results in an older version of gnus-util to be loaded at startup, prior to .emacs, thereby overruling any load-path fixes you might make there.  I reported it to RedHat but never did get a response.  My solution is to remove that site-start.el.  For historical context see http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/83524 and the follow up thread http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/83565

--

@ 2014-08-07  6:59       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-08-07  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2014-08-07 04:16, david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) writes:

>> The problem may be a missing autoload somewhere. If I had the following
>> to my init file, then I can start gnus.
>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>> (autoload 'gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces "gnus-util")
>> #+end_src
>
>> Should this be considered a bug? If so, where do I report it?
>
> Perhaps my earlier inquiry didn't get through.

It did, but as I found a way around the bug, I did not reply, sorr.

> Any chance you are running on Fedora 19 or later?

No, I'm on OS X.

> I encountered what I think is the same issue about this time last
> year.  Fedora delivers a site-start.el file that results in an older
> version of gnus-util to be loaded at startup, prior to .emacs, thereby
> overruling any load-path fixes you might make there.  I reported it to
> RedHat but never did get a response.  My solution is to remove that
> site-start.el.  For historical context see
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/83524 and the
> follow up thread
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/83565

I've looked at the site-start.el files (both from the provided emacs
and from my homebrew installation) and they do not mention
gnus-util. I've started emacs with the '-q' option and I don't see it in
the features variable.

This may be a bug local only to my setup, but I'm not sure how to
investigate it.

Best,

Alan

--

@ 2014-08-07 18:47         ` Wolfgang Jenkner
From: Wolfgang Jenkner @ 2014-08-07 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: ding

On Thu, Aug 07 2014, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> I've looked at the site-start.el files (both from the provided emacs
> and from my homebrew installation) and they do not mention
> gnus-util. I've started emacs with the '-q' option and I don't see it in
> the features variable.

IIUC, there must be a form in your init file which somehow loads an old
version of gnus-util.

You could try the following:

$ emacs -q

C-x C-f <your init file>

M-: (while (not (or (eobp) (featurep 'gnus-util)))
  (eval (read (current-buffer))))

(I assume that your init file does not set the lexical-binding file
local variable)

This should leave point after the offending form.

In my case, I was surprised to learn that gnus-util was pulled in by
(ffap-bindings).

Wolfgang

* Re: Missing function 'gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces' using gnus from git
@ 2014-08-08 14:35           ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-08-08 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello Wolfgang,

On 2014-08-07 20:47, Wolfgang Jenkner <wjenkner@inode.at> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 07 2014, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>
>> I've looked at the site-start.el files (both from the provided emacs
>> and from my homebrew installation) and they do not mention
>> gnus-util. I've started emacs with the '-q' option and I don't see it in
>> the features variable.
>
> IIUC, there must be a form in your init file which somehow loads an old
> version of gnus-util.
>
> You could try the following:
>
> $ emacs -q
>
> C-x C-f <your init file>
>
> M-: (while (not (or (eobp) (featurep 'gnus-util)))
>   (eval (read (current-buffer))))
>

> (I assume that your init file does not set the lexical-binding file
> local variable)
>
> This should leave point after the offending form.

Thank you for this very nice trick! I was able to figure out the issue
happens when loading my custom.el. I find two lines mentioning gnus
there:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
 '(gnus-auto-select-subject (quote unread))
 '(gnus-buttonized-mime-types (quote ("multipart/signed")))
#+end_src

I guess I should try to delay the loadig of custom.el until after I have
loaded gnus. I'll try this next.

(Later ...)

Yes, I confirm that loading gnus before custom.el works.

Thanks again,

Alan

--

@ 2014-08-09 15:32             ` Wolfgang Jenkner
From: Wolfgang Jenkner @ 2014-08-09 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: ding

On Fri, Aug 08 2014, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> On 2014-08-07 20:47, Wolfgang Jenkner <wjenkner@inode.at> writes:
[...]
>> M-: (while (not (or (eobp) (featurep 'gnus-util)))
>>   (eval (read (current-buffer))))
[...]
> Thank you for this very nice trick!

For the record, the (eobp) test is bogus because trailing whitespace or
comments will cause an end-of-file error if the featurep test never
returns t. So, for our diagnostic purposes, it's best to just omit the
(eobp).

Oh, and it is not a trick ;-)

Wolfgang

* Re: Missing function 'gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces' using gnus from git
@ 2014-08-11 12:13               ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-08-11 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2014-08-09 17:32, Wolfgang Jenkner <wjenkner@inode.at> writes:

> Oh, and it is not a trick ;-)

Sorry, I meant "thanks for this nice and informational tip" ;-)

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7