* Idea: gnus-summary-next-thread-conclusion
@ 2008-10-31  6:18 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-10-31  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: rdc1x

Idea: there should be new commands:
gnus-summary-next-thread-conclusion
gnus-summary-prev-thread-conclusion
that jump to the "concluding article" of the next and previous
threads, so you can get to the bottom of the story right away.
They should also mark the whole thread as read by default, even if
(defcustom gnus-mark-article-hook '(gnus-summary-mark-read-and-unread-as-read)...
has been set to nil perhaps.

What the definition of the concluding article (deepest in the thread?,
newest?) is, I leave up to you all, or make a variable.

These functions are not something I hardly would use so often to
bother to write a personal function, but maybe others might find the
idea worthy to add to gnus.

* Re: Idea: gnus-summary-next-thread-conclusion
@ 2008-10-31 11:51 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-10-31 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: ding, rdc1x

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:18:50 +0800 jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

j> Idea: there should be new commands:
j> gnus-summary-next-thread-conclusion
j> gnus-summary-prev-thread-conclusion
j> that jump to the "concluding article" of the next and previous
j> threads, so you can get to the bottom of the story right away.
j> They should also mark the whole thread as read by default, even if
j> (defcustom gnus-mark-article-hook '(gnus-summary-mark-read-and-unread-as-read)...
j> has been set to nil perhaps.

j> What the definition of the concluding article (deepest in the thread?,
j> newest?) is, I leave up to you all, or make a variable.

j> These functions are not something I hardly would use so often to
j> bother to write a personal function, but maybe others might find the
j> idea worthy to add to gnus.

Since both the definition of the function and its possible uses are
nebulous, I don't think it's needed in the Gnus core.

Ted