* bundle no gnus with emacs CVS
@ 2006-04-27 16:56 Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-04-27 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

Thanks all answering my question of which gnus version is newer, no
gnus or gnus 5.11.

I'm a big fan of gnus and would like to experience its latest
features. I would like to bundle no gnus CVS with emacs CVS. But I
don't know how to completely remove gnus 5.11 in emacs CVS and replace
it with no gnus CVS. Any suggestions?

Regards,
--
Leon

* Re: bundle no gnus with emacs CVS
@ 2006-04-27 17:00 ` gdt
From: gdt @ 2006-04-27 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  I'm a big fan of gnus and would like to experience its latest
  features. I would like to bundle no gnus CVS with emacs CVS. But I
  don't know how to completely remove gnus 5.11 in emacs CVS and replace
  it with no gnus CVS. Any suggestions?

You don't need to remove it.  I'm running CVS gnus with a released
emacs and just put

  (setq load-path
        (cons (expand-file-name "~/SOFTWARE/GNUS/gnus/lisp") load-path))
  (require 'gnus-load)

in my .emacs (following advice from somewhere).

--
	Greg Troxel <gdt@work.lexort.com>

* Re: bundle no gnus with emacs CVS
@ 2006-04-27 17:24   ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-04-27 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

gdt@work.lexort.com writes:

>   I'm a big fan of gnus and would like to experience its latest
>   features. I would like to bundle no gnus CVS with emacs CVS. But I
>   don't know how to completely remove gnus 5.11 in emacs CVS and replace
>   it with no gnus CVS. Any suggestions?
>
> You don't need to remove it.  I'm running CVS gnus with a released
> emacs and just put
>
>   (setq load-path
>         (cons (expand-file-name "~/SOFTWARE/GNUS/gnus/lisp") load-path))
>   (require 'gnus-load)
>
> in my .emacs (following advice from somewhere).

Thank you.

I have used gnus this way before. But I am thinking about
bundling it in emacs.

--

@ 2006-04-27 21:21     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-04-27 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 27 2006, Leon wrote:

> gdt@work.lexort.com writes:
[...]
>>   (setq load-path
>>         (cons (expand-file-name "~/SOFTWARE/GNUS/gnus/lisp") load-path))
>>   (require 'gnus-load)
[...]
> I have used gnus this way before. But I am thinking about
> bundling it in emacs.

Maybe you should explain what you mean with "bundling it in emacs".

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: bundle no gnus with emacs CVS
@ 2006-04-27 23:34       ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-04-27 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Thu, Apr 27 2006, Leon wrote:
>
>> gdt@work.lexort.com writes:
> [...]
>>>   (setq load-path
>>>         (cons (expand-file-name "~/SOFTWARE/GNUS/gnus/lisp") load-path))
>>>   (require 'gnus-load)
> [...]
>> I have used gnus this way before. But I am thinking about
>> bundling it in emacs.
>
> Maybe you should explain what you mean with "bundling it in emacs".
>
> Bye, Reiner.

I want to upgrade gnus in my local emacs cvs tree to No Gnus. But I
don't know how to cleanly do this i.e. can I just upgrade lisp/gnus to
the latest gnus.

Cheers,
--

@ 2006-04-28  7:48         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2006-04-28  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I want to upgrade gnus in my local emacs cvs tree to No Gnus. But I
> don't know how to cleanly do this i.e. can I just upgrade lisp/gnus
> to the latest gnus.

Why not just check out No Gnus separately and put it into the
load-path before the system elisp files?

From my .emacs (I'm sure it can be made more elegant, I'm no lisp
expert):

(defvar cvs-workspace
  (if windows-emacs
      (expand-file-name "~/workspacecvs/")
    (expand-file-name "~/cvs/"))
   "The place where I check out CVS workspaces.  On linux I like this to
be lowercase \"cvs\" for shortness.  But on Win32, that name conflicts
with the \"CVS\" directory in my CVS-versioned home directory, so it has
to be something different.")

;; CVS version of Gnus:
(let ((cvs-gnus-directory
       (if (string-match "XEmacs" emacs-version)
	   (concat cvs-workspace "gnus.xemacs")
	   (concat cvs-workspace "gnus"))))
  (add-to-list 'load-path (concat cvs-gnus-directory "/lisp"))
  (let ((cvs-gnus-info-dir (concat cvs-gnus-directory "/texi")))
    (if (boundp 'Info-directory-list)
	(add-to-list 'Info-directory-list cvs-gnus-info-dir)
      (setq Info-directory-list (append
				 (list cvs-gnus-info-dir)
				 Info-default-directory-list)))))