* problem with pdf manual
@ 2004-08-25  8:37 Aasmund Oestvold
From: Aasmund Oestvold @ 2004-08-25  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

First I want to thank you all for making a very good news/mail reader.

When I do "make gnus.pdf" in /texi I get a pdf document with bookmarks
that all links to the front page.  While I compile I get allot of this
error messages that I think is realated to the problem:

! pdfTeX warning (dest): name{2} has been referenced but does not
exist, replaced by a fixed one

! pdfTeX warning (dest): name{1} has been referenced but does not
exist, replaced by a fixed one

! pdfTeX warning (dest): name{6} has been referenced but does not
exist, replaced by a fixed one

What is it that I do wrong?

Aasmund

* Re: problem with pdf manual
@ 2004-08-25 14:19 ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2004-08-25 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aasmund Oestvold <asmundo@tihlde.org> writes:

> Hi
>
> First I want to thank you all for making a very good news/mail reader.
>
> When I do "make gnus.pdf" in /texi I get a pdf document with bookmarks
> that all links to the front page.  While I compile I get allot of this
> error messages that I think is realated to the problem:
>

> ! pdfTeX warning (dest): name{2} has been referenced but does not
> exist, replaced by a fixed one

What is happening is that (La)TeX is trying to find where the
reference points to but since it haven't processed the entire file
yet, it does not yet know. This information is written to an external
file (named .aux) during the process and when (La)TeX is started it
checks if this file exist and reads the information in it. It is
designed this way. The drawback is that if you modify your LaTeX-file
and moves around the sections this aux-file will be out of date and
the result will contain errors.

What you need to do is to run the program twice (sometimes one needs
to run it more then that if there are references that is hard to
resolve or if the content changes due to e.g. automatic inclusion).

Bottom line: run pdflatex several times until you see no error
messages related to references (errors like "underfull hbox" or
"overfull hbox" can be ignored, the same goes for font substitution).

In case make think there isn't anything to make since the file are up
to date, remove the PDF file but leave the aux, log and toc files intact.

(In case you don't know: pdfTeX/pdfLaTeX is the same as LaTeX and Tex
but produces PDF files instead of DVI files. LaTeX is an extension to
TeX similar to the way modern programming languages are an extension
to assembler programming.)

HTH, ask again if I didn't make sense.

--
(        http://hem.bredband.net/steverud/        !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )