* Gcc/Newsgroups header depending on mail addresses?
@ 2001-07-24 14:25 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-24 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got a group where I put mails that go to a specific mailing
list.  But some mails that belong to the same subject are addressed to
me personally and don't go to the mailing list.

So when composing a followup, I would like to omit the Gcc header if
the mailing list address is in To or Cc, but include the Gcc header
otherwise.

Is there some predefined functionality in Gnus for doing this?

(I just ditched some obfuscated code from ~/.gnus because I didn't
understand it.  This feature was in that code.  But I want to do it in
a cleaner way now.)

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Gcc/Newsgroups header depending on mail addresses?
@ 2001-07-24 16:05 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-07-24 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I've got a group where I put mails that go to a specific mailing
> list.  But some mails that belong to the same subject are addressed to
> me personally and don't go to the mailing list.
>
> So when composing a followup, I would like to omit the Gcc header if
> the mailing list address is in To or Cc, but include the Gcc header
> otherwise.
>
> Is there some predefined functionality in Gnus for doing this?

Hope this doesn't confuse the issue for Kai:

I had a similar desire but with some differences.  A way to gcc
depending on who a message is from, but not in a group where G p would
do that job.  If that sounds confusing, here is a try at explaining it
better.

I generally scan my incoming mail in a preinbox made for that
purpose. Often I find it more convenient than pawing through my
dozens of groups for things to respond to.  Once done scanning then
run `B r' respool.  So a normal split is then done.

I've found over time that probably 20% of my incoming mail, I
recognize what it is and where from, without splitting.  Also know
what to do with it.  So some stuff I handle immediately while still in
prein box.  This bypasses cool gcc or other stuff you might set in G
p.  Also means I sometimes inadvertanly double whammy people because
I'm so used to wide replying (F) to everthing.

Now how might I go about ensuring that messages that will endup in a
group with G p set for gcc, will get the gcc header even if replied to
from preinbox.  Some way for gnus to know where a split would have put
the message and gcc accordingly.

* Re: Gcc/Newsgroups header depending on mail addresses?
@ 2001-07-24 21:54   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-24 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 24 Jul 2001, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Now how might I go about ensuring that messages that will endup in a
> group with G p set for gcc, will get the gcc header even if replied
> to from preinbox.  Some way for gnus to know where a split would
> have put the message and gcc accordingly.

Hm.  You could do stuff from message-header-setup-hook.  For example,
you could do (mail-fetch-field "To" nil t), do a regex match on that,
do (mail-fetch-field "Cc" nil t), do a regex match on that.  Based on
the result, you can do (message-add-header "Gcc: foo").

Hm.  I wonder if it was possible to use the splitting machinery
instead of manually doing the regex matching?  I'm not sure.  Maybe
the splitting machinery needs to be more modularized.  Hm.  Maybe
nnmail-article-group does the right job?  (Looking at the headers and
returning a group name.)

kai
--

@ 2001-07-26  4:12 ` Michael Totschnig
From: Michael Totschnig @ 2001-07-26  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> I've got a group where I put mails that go to a specific mailing
> list.  But some mails that belong to the same subject are addressed to
> me personally and don't go to the mailing list.
>
> So when composing a followup, I would like to omit the Gcc header if
> the mailing list address is in To or Cc, but include the Gcc header
> otherwise.

I have as part of gnus-message-archive-group the following form
(let
    ((group (gnus-parameter-to-address gnus-newsgroup-name))
     (adress (message-fetch-field "To")))
  (and group adress (string-match group adress)))

It compares the value of the to-adress group parameter with the To of
the message. Am I mistaken to think that this could help you do what you want?

--
Michael Totschnig
PGP/GPG-Public-Key: http://www.er.uqam.ca/nobel/d364101/pgp.shtml