* Minor annoyance with `z'
@ 1997-09-26 17:11 Stefan Waldherr
From: Stefan Waldherr @ 1997-09-26 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Waldherr

Hi,

I think the suspend action is not quite consistent. Imagine two frames in one
big XEmacs window

	---------
	|   |   |
	| A | B |
	|   |   |
	---------

Running gnus in frame `A' and suspending it via `z' results in one big frame
with some previous buffer.  Quitting gnus via `q' results in the expected
behaviour, that is TWO frames. Is there a reason, why the two behave
differently wrt frames?

cu
Stefan.
--
Stefan Waldherr                office +1 (412) 268-3837
                                  fax +1 (412) 268-5576

* Re: Minor annoyance with `z'
@ 1997-09-26 20:46 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-09-26 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Waldherr <swa@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> Running gnus in frame `A' and suspending it via `z' results in one big frame
> with some previous buffer.  Quitting gnus via `q' results in the expected
> behaviour, that is TWO frames. Is there a reason, why the two behave
> differently wrt frames?

I assume you are running this framey stuff via the XEmacs toolbar news
button?  Well, the command `toolbar-news' puts the frame-removing code
to `gnus-exit-gnus-hook'.

Lars, does `z' run `gnus-exit-gnus-hook'?  If not, why not?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Minor annoyance with `z'
@ 1997-09-26 21:35   ` Stefan Waldherr
From: Stefan Waldherr @ 1997-09-26 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hrvoje> Stefan Waldherr <swa@cs.cmu.edu> writes:
    >> Running gnus in frame `A' and suspending it via `z' results in one big
    >> frame with some previous buffer.  Quitting gnus via `q' results in the
    >> expected behaviour, that is TWO frames. Is there a reason, why the two
    >> behave differently wrt frames?

    Hrvoje> I assume you are running this framey stuff via the XEmacs toolbar
    Hrvoje> news button?  Well, the command `toolbar-news' puts the
    Hrvoje> frame-removing code to `gnus-exit-gnus-hook'.

I dunno if it is the same, but I do C-x 3 to get two frames, and M-x gnus to
fire up gnus.

cu
Stefan.
--

@ 1997-09-26 22:33     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-09-26 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Waldherr <swa@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

>     Hrvoje> I assume you are running this framey stuff via the XEmacs toolbar
>     Hrvoje> news button?  Well, the command `toolbar-news' puts the
>     Hrvoje> frame-removing code to `gnus-exit-gnus-hook'.
>
> I dunno if it is the same,

It is not the same.

> but I do C-x 3 to get two frames,

What we have here is a terminology mismatch.  `C-x 3' doesn't create
two frames.  It creates two windows on a single frame.  So, I
misunderstood the original question, thinking that both A and B were
frames.

I don't know why `q' and `z' behave differently in that respect, BTW.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
Then...  his face does a complete change of expression.  It goes from
a "Vengeance is mine" expression, to a "What the fuck" blank look.

* Re: Minor annoyance with `z'
@ 1997-09-27  3:43 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-27  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Waldherr <swa@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> Running gnus in frame `A' and suspending it via `z' results in one big frame
> with some previous buffer.  Quitting gnus via `q' results in the expected
> behaviour, that is TWO frames. Is there a reason, why the two behave
> differently wrt frames?

(You're using the Emacs terms "frame" and "window" in the reverse way
that they're supposed to be used.)

I'd suggest using two frames instead of two windows in one frame.