* scoring by article age?
@ 1997-04-09 11:41 Dewey M. Sasser
From: Dewey M. Sasser @ 1997-04-09 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any way in the current Gnus (well, in 5.4.42 at least.  Lars
may have made another release while I wasn't looking :) to score
articles based on age, as in XX days old (not as in "before date YY").

I have a large mailing list that I often don't fully ready, and I'd
like to have old messages automatically "go away" unless they've been
ticked.

I did RTFM and RTFapropos before posting this.

Thanks,

--
Dewey M. Sasser 			voice: (617) 494-6000
dewey@newvision.com                     PGP Key from public servers

* Re: scoring by article age?
@ 1997-04-10 17:31 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-04-10 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dewey M. Sasser" <dewey@newvision.com> writes:

> Is there any way in the current Gnus (well, in 5.4.42 at least.  Lars
> may have made another release while I wasn't looking :) to score
> articles based on age, as in XX days old (not as in "before date YY").

I don't think so.  I've now added this to the todo list.

* Re: scoring by article age?
@ 1997-04-10 21:03   ` Michael Welsh Duggan
From: Michael Welsh Duggan @ 1997-04-10 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Dewey M. Sasser" <dewey@newvision.com> writes:
>
> > Is there any way in the current Gnus (well, in 5.4.42 at least.  Lars
> > may have made another release while I wasn't looking :) to score
> > articles based on age, as in XX days old (not as in "before date YY").
>
> I don't think so.  I've now added this to the todo list.

As long as you are adding things to the wishlist, I would like to be
able to say: retrieve all messages since <date>.  A little extra work
would allow it to accept dates like "1 week ago".

--
Michael Duggan
(md5i@schenley.com)

* Re: scoring by article age?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-04-11 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael Welsh Duggan" <md5i@schenley.com> writes:

> As long as you are adding things to the wishlist, I would like to be
> able to say: retrieve all messages since <date>.  A little extra work
> would allow it to accept dates like "1 week ago".

It would, in principle, have to retrieve all headers in the group.
Which would be slow.

* Re: scoring by article age?
@ 1997-04-14 13:27       ` Michael Welsh Duggan
From: Michael Welsh Duggan @ 1997-04-14 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Michael Welsh Duggan" <md5i@schenley.com> writes:
>
> > As long as you are adding things to the wishlist, I would like to be
> > able to say: retrieve all messages since <date>.  A little extra work
> > would allow it to accept dates like "1 week ago".
>
> It would, in principle, have to retrieve all headers in the group.
> Which would be slow.

However, it shouldn't be too slow in a nnml group, which is where I
usually am wanting this option anyway.  In this case it is a simple
scan down the .overview file, doing a date comparason at each entry.

--
Michael Duggan
(md5i@schenley.com)

* Re: scoring by article age?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-04-15 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael Welsh Duggan" <md5i@schenley.com> writes:

> However, it shouldn't be too slow in a nnml group, which is where I
> usually am wanting this option anyway.  In this case it is a simple
> scan down the .overview file, doing a date comparason at each entry.

This would have to be done on the newsreader side, not the server
side, so Gnus will have to retrieve all the headers anyway.

Which doesn't really matter.  I've now added this to the todo list.