From: Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com>
Cc: ding@ifi.uio.no, David Worenklein <dcw@gcm.com>
Subject: Re: Unsolicited ads
Date: 10 Jun 1996 10:26:20 -0700	[thread overview]

DW> Has anyone thought
DW> about ways of dealing with this?

Per> Complain.  I usually forward a copy to `postmaster', `abuse', and
Per> the technical and administrative contact (from whois) of the
Per> first host(s) mentioned in the `received:' headers and the DNS
Per> server of that host.

When you complain be firm but polite when directing the email to the
domain contacts.  In some cases I've had to deal with, the technical &
administrative contacts for spamming domains are lower-level staff who
don't really have much control over the matter.

Don't expect an answer, and resist the temptation to email them an
emacs core dump, as it will probably hurt your system more when it
bounces.

You can always try the tactic of billing (via snail mail) them for your
time in cleaning up after their spam.  This is reasonably effective
against repeat spamming all by itself, however there are enough people
without a clue and outside of the local jurisdiction that you probably
can't sue when they don't pay, and do it more than once (like the
Internet Business Bureau, which I see has changed its ``good'' name in
the last month -- at least Internet Business Broadcasting is a more
appropriate name for a Spammer).

Per> It is a boring and time consuming job, but I think it is the only
Per> way to keep the noise at a manageable level.

Yup.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.