* howto have nnimap setup for smtp out
@ 2021-01-20 15:21 Harry Putnam
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2021-01-20 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

emacs-version 28

Been using several nnimap entries similar to this one.
From .gnus

   (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
   	     '(nnimap "hputnam3"
                         (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))

I had heavy duty idiotic accident involving losing my hosts I normally
use for mail.

I'm having a heck of a time getting a mail server setup. Started with
sendmail but never got it to work, then switched to postfix and still
have not gotten a working setup.

Consequently if I try to send a message using the nnimap groups
It tries to go out with a non existent mail server and fails.

How can I make any messages I create in nnimap groups go out to gmails
smtp servers?

I mean is there code I can add to my nnimap entries that will send any
messages direct to gmail servers?  Maybe something like the smtp code
people use on windows with gnus or the like.

Does anyone have such a thing in nnimap use?

I've never been more than a hideously poor elisp coder so will need to
see some kind of examples I can hack up for my use if possible.

* Re: howto have nnimap setup for smtp out
@ 2021-01-20 16:03 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2021-01-20 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

    Harry> emacs-version 28
    Harry> Been using several nnimap entries similar to this one.
    Harry> From .gnus

    Harry>    (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
    Harry>    	     '(nnimap "hputnam3"
    Harry>                          (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))

    Harry> I had heavy duty idiotic accident involving losing my hosts I normally
    Harry> use for mail.

    Harry> I'm having a heck of a time getting a mail server setup. Started with
    Harry> sendmail but never got it to work, then switched to postfix and still
    Harry> have not gotten a working setup.

    Harry> Consequently if I try to send a message using the nnimap groups
    Harry> It tries to go out with a non existent mail server and fails.

    Harry> How can I make any messages I create in nnimap groups go out to gmails
    Harry> smtp servers?

    Harry> I mean is there code I can add to my nnimap entries that will send any
    Harry> messages direct to gmail servers?  Maybe something like the smtp code
    Harry> people use on windows with gnus or the like.

Sending email from gnus using smtp is entirely separate from imap. Iʼd
recommend something like

(setq send-mail-function smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-stream-type tls
      smtpmail-smtp-service 465
      user-mail-address "yourusername@gmail.com")

(this is of course assuming you want to send as
yourusername@gmail.com)

Robert

* Re: howto have nnimap setup for smtp out
@ 2021-01-20 16:04 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2021-01-20 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Harry writes:

> How can I make any messages I create in nnimap groups go out to gmails
> smtp servers?

By configuring the two variables message-send-mail-function and
smtpmail-default-smtp-server, and by adding a relevant line to your
.authinfo file.

Did you try the suggestion I gave you last Monday, when you asked the
same question?

 · https://xref.news/news.gmane.io/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/89830

I've shamelessly stolen the information from a web-page I once wrote on
the subject:

 · https://koldfront.dk/text/gnus-email-gmail.html#sending

I've just tested it, and it seems you now also need to find the "Allow
less secure apps" setting in your Google account and turn that on - see:

 · https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?p=less-secure-apps&hl=en&visit_id=637467547433148214-4189927916&rd=1

I'm not sure if there is any way around that.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Up is down. That's just maddingly unhelpful. Why          Adam Sjøgren
  are these things never clear?"                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: howto have nnimap setup for smtp out
@ 2021-01-20 16:12 ` dick.r.chiang
From: dick.r.chiang @ 2021-01-20 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

To reader@newsguy.com,

In a previous post, you asserted Windows'ness.  I refrained from chiming in
then because I only know what works under GNU/Linux.  But your questions this
iteration really betray a deep-seated confusion.

Outgoing is orthogonal to nnimap.  I will not mention nnimap henceforth except
to say nnimap-gmail without dovecot is unusable with any serious email volume.

The casual user should not attempt outgoing with sendmail or postfix.  Use a
thing called "msmtp" to wrangle smtp.gmail.com.

A reference setup can be found in

https://github.com/dickmao/gnus-imap-walkthrough/blob/master/dot.msmtprc

* Re: howto have nnimap setup for smtp out
@ 2021-01-25 22:20   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2021-01-25 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>     Harry> emacs-version 28
>     Harry> Been using several nnimap entries similar to this one.
>     Harry> From .gnus
>
>     Harry>    (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>     Harry>    	     '(nnimap "hputnam3"
>     Harry>                          (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))
>
>     Harry> I had heavy duty idiotic accident involving losing my hosts I normally
>     Harry> use for mail.
>
>     Harry> I'm having a heck of a time getting a mail server setup. Started with
>     Harry> sendmail but never got it to work, then switched to postfix and still
>     Harry> have not gotten a working setup.
>
>     Harry> Consequently if I try to send a message using the nnimap groups
>     Harry> It tries to go out with a non existent mail server and fails.
>
>     Harry> How can I make any messages I create in nnimap groups go out to gmails
>     Harry> smtp servers?
>
>     Harry> I mean is there code I can add to my nnimap entries that will send any
>     Harry> messages direct to gmail servers?  Maybe something like the smtp code
>     Harry> people use on windows with gnus or the like.
>
> Sending email from gnus using smtp is entirely separate from imap. Iʼd
> recommend something like
>
> (setq send-mail-function smtpmail-send-it
>       smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>       smtpmail-stream-type tls
>       smtpmail-smtp-service 465
>       user-mail-address "yourusername@gmail.com")

I tried that out with these changes:

      user-mail-address "hputnam3@gmail.com")

@ 2021-01-25 22:42     ` Clemens Schüller
From: Clemens Schüller @ 2021-01-25 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

Hello!

Harry Putnam wrote:

> I tried that out with these changes:
>
> (setq send-mail-function smtpmail-send-it
>       smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>       smtpmail-stream-type tls
>       smtpmail-smtp-service 465
>       user-mail-address "hputnam3@gmail.com")

My SMTP out Setup has the dependency of the from header:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp

(defun exal-change-smtp ()
  "Change the SMTP server according to the current from line."
  (save-excursion
    (let ((from
           (save-restriction
             (message-narrow-to-headers)
             (message-fetch-field "from"))))
      (message "From is `%s', setting `smtpmail-smtp-server' to `%s'"
               from
               (cond
                ((string-match "gmx.at" from)
                  ;; Use stmp-auth
                  (message "Using smtp-auth for GMX account")
                   ;; Sending mail
                  (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("mail.gmx.net" 587 nil nil))
;;                      smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net"
                        smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net"
                        send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
                        message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
                        smtpmail-smtp-service 587
                        smtpmail-auth-credentials (expand-file-name "~/.authinfo")
			smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net"))

                ((string-match "mailbox.org" from)
                   ;; Use SMTP for mailbox.org account
                 (message "Using smtp-auth for mailbox.org account")
		 (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
		       smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("barnburner.local" 25 nil nil))
		       smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("barnburner.local" 25 "mente" nil))
		       smtpmail-default-smtp-server "barnburner.local"
		       smtpmail-smtp-service 25
		       smtpmail-smtp-server "barnburner.local"))

                (t
                 (message
                  (concat "Sending via nntp... "
                          from))))))))

(add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'exal-change-smtp)

#+end_src
--
Best Regards, Clemens Schüller

* Re: howto have nnimap setup for smtp out
@ 2021-01-25 23:37       ` Malcolm Purvis
From: Malcolm Purvis @ 2021-01-25 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> My SMTP out Setup has the dependency of the from header:

[...]

Another approach is that Message mode supports the
X-Message-SMTP-Method custom header[1] which I set on a per-group
basis in gnus-posting-styles.

Malcolm

[1]
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/message/Mail-Variables.html

--
          Malcolm Purvis <malcolm@purvis.id.au>

* Re: howto have nnimap setup for smtp out
@ 2021-01-25 23:37     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2021-01-25 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[...]

>> Sending email from gnus using smtp is entirely separate from imap. Iʼd
>> recommend something like
>>
>> (setq send-mail-function smtpmail-send-it
>>       smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>>       smtpmail-stream-type tls
>>       smtpmail-smtp-service 465
>>       user-mail-address "yourusername@gmail.com")
>>

> I tried that out with these changes:
>
> (setq send-mail-function smtpmail-send-it
>       smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>       smtpmail-stream-type tls
>       smtpmail-smtp-service 465
>       user-mail-address "hputnam3@gmail.com")

Sorry, about half of my post got left out:

I discovered it would not work and so saved the backtrace to include
in this mail but then didn't do it.

('smtpmail-send-it) so tried it that way too, but still fails, again
saved a back trace

  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable smtpmail-send-it)
    (setq send-mail-function smtpmail-send-it)
    eval-region(380 578)  ; Reading at buffer position 578
    funcall-interactively(eval-region 380 578)
    call-interactively(eval-region record nil)
    command-execute(eval-region record)
    execute-extended-command(nil "eval-region" nil)
    funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "eval-region" nil)
    call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
    command-execute(execute-extended-command)

But I got to looking at the code you sent and started thinking there
was a single quote missing right before smtpmail-send-it like
('smtpmail-send-it) so tried it that way too, but still fails, again
saved a back trace

  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable smtpmail-stream-type)
    eval-region(380 579)  ; Reading at buffer position 579
    funcall-interactively(eval-region 380 579)
    call-interactively(eval-region record nil)
    command-execute(eval-region record)
    execute-extended-command(nil "eval-region" nil)
    funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "eval-region" nil)
    call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
    command-execute(execute-extended-command)

So wasn't really able to test it in mail

* Re: howto have nnimap setup for smtp out
@ 2021-01-25 23:47       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2021-01-25 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Clemens Schüller <cs.mlists+gnus@mailbox.org> writes:

> Hello!
>
> Harry Putnam wrote:
>

>> I tried that out with these changes:
>>
>> (setq send-mail-function smtpmail-send-it
>>       smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>>       smtpmail-stream-type tls
>>       smtpmail-smtp-service 465
>>       user-mail-address "hputnam3@gmail.com")
>
> My SMTP out Setup has the dependency of the from header:

Pretty slick.  thanks. Nice to see concrete examples

Let me ask if your host has a real FQDN.  Not like mine which is a
host on dhcp from  ISP and not resolvable on the internet, not the host
and not the domain.  That has been a real problem in trying to get
some outgoing mail to work.

* Re: howto have nnimap setup for smtp out
@ 2021-01-26  2:53       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2021-01-26  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Some of you here will likely be a bit relieved to know that I finally
managed to get something working.

I failed utterly at getting sendmail or postfix or exim4 to get mail
relayed at a Smarthost or smtp relay host.  I mean to say that was
some rough slogging too.

And now I utterly failed to get anywhere dinking around with
smtp.gmail.  But finally I managed to get the smtpmail-send-it code to
work with another mail outfit where I've had creds for several years
even though I was unable to get any of the big 3 mail software to get
relayed thru them.

what finally worked:
      (setq send-mail-function  'smtpmail-send-it
          smtpmail-smtp-server  "smtp.xxxxxxx.com"
          smtpmail-stream-type  'ssl
          smtpmail-smtp-service 465
          user-mail-address "xxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com")

So I can finally reach the internet with my email.

One thing I keep pondering though is that, OK, I kind of understand
what happens after mail reaches the relay point or relaying
smtp.server.  But I'm not understanding what gets it that far.

since I broke out on sendmail, postfix and exim4, I have no mta running,
so not clear to me how messages are getting to the smtp.server in the
code above.

Thank you all for putting up with some seriously dim witted questions.

* Re: howto have nnimap setup for smtp out
@ 2021-01-26 10:10         ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2021-01-26 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

    Harry> Some of you here will likely be a bit relieved to know that I finally
    Harry> managed to get something working.

    Harry> I failed utterly at getting sendmail or postfix or exim4 to get mail
    Harry> relayed at a Smarthost or smtp relay host.  I mean to say that was
    Harry> some rough slogging too.

    Harry> And now I utterly failed to get anywhere dinking around with
    Harry> smtp.gmail.  But finally I managed to get the smtpmail-send-it code to
    Harry> work with another mail outfit where I've had creds for several years
    Harry> even though I was unable to get any of the big 3 mail software to get
    Harry> relayed thru them.

    Harry> what finally worked:
    Harry>       (setq send-mail-function  'smtpmail-send-it
    Harry>           smtpmail-smtp-server  "smtp.xxxxxxx.com"
    Harry>           smtpmail-stream-type  'ssl
    Harry>           smtpmail-smtp-service 465
    Harry>           user-mail-address "xxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com")

Ah, what I sent you had a missing ', sorry about that.

    Harry> So I can finally reach the internet with my email.

    Harry> One thing I keep pondering though is that, OK, I kind of understand
    Harry> what happens after mail reaches the relay point or relaying
    Harry> smtp.server.  But I'm not understanding what gets it that far.

    Harry> since I broke out on sendmail, postfix and exim4, I have no mta running,
    Harry> so not clear to me how messages are getting to the smtp.server in the
    Harry> code above.

Emacs is making a tls/smtp connection to your smtp.xxxxxxxx.com
server, and delivering the email to it, essentially functioning like
sendmail/postfix etc

Robert

* Re: howto have nnimap setup for smtp out
@ 2021-01-26 17:05   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2021-01-26 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

dick.r.chiang@gmail.com writes:

> To reader@newsguy.com,
>
> In a previous post, you asserted Windows'ness.  I refrained from chiming in
> then because I only know what works under GNU/Linux.  But your questions this
> iteration really betray a deep-seated confusion.

That was in desperation after so much trouble on my linux hosts.. I
have a windows host but have done nearly all mail on linux or Solaris
for many years.

> Outgoing is orthogonal to nnimap.  I will not mention nnimap henceforth except
> to say nnimap-gmail without dovecot is unusable with any serious email volume.

I see I've stated the nnimap bit in way that seems I don't know that
nnimap is not involved in smtp.

My meaning was certainly unclear, but what I was talking about is
adding smtp code into my exisiting nnimap groups defined in gnus like:

   (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                    	       '(nnimap "harrygp3"
 		                (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))

I was talking about adding smtp out code to the lines above

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the gentle nudge when you
could justifiably been a lot pricklier.

> The casual user should not attempt outgoing with sendmail or postfix.  Use a
> thing called "msmtp" to wrangle smtp.gmail.com.

Probably true but I've managed to have one or another mta running
semi-continously since about 1996 when I first started blundering
around with linux.  I would still be pounding along on my trusty
debian (stretch) host with full mta right now, as I have for the last
5 or so years when I moved everything off of gentoo hosts, but I
managed to competely delete beyond hope my entire host (a vm) along
with years of notes and working configs for sendmail, postfix, and
exim4 All of which I used for mta at one time or another

> A reference setup can be found in
>
> https://github.com/dickmao/gnus-imap-walkthrough/blob/master/dot.msmtprc

thanks for the pointer... I did readup a bit on msmtp during my
tribulations with sendmail but failed on it as well.  It all seems to
revolve around a lack of a real resolvable host. And the fact that
internet mail has become a good bit more complex that it was even just
5-7 yrs ago.

Not sure why that lack of being resolvable doesn't even come up using
the smtp send-it code, but I am right glad to quit fussing with it.

* Re: howto have nnimap setup for smtp out
@ 2021-01-26 17:48     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2021-01-26 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

    Harry> Not sure why that lack of being resolvable doesn't even come up using
    Harry> the smtp send-it code, but I am right glad to quit fussing with it.

Before, you had:

Emacs -> MTA -> Destination MTA

And the first two were under your control. In that situation, the
Destination MTA tends to ask questions like "is MTA likely to be a
spammer", and insisting on proper DNS entries is one way to check for
that.

With what you have now, MTA is smtp.gmail.com or similar, and you have
to provide credentials in order to send email via them, so they

a) Know who you are
b) Can cut you off if you misbehave
c) Donʼt care about DNS, since you've authenticated yourself.

Robert

* Re: howto have nnimap setup for smtp out
@ 2021-01-26 17:49         ` Clemens Schüller
From: Clemens Schüller @ 2021-01-26 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello!

Harry Putnam wrote:
> Clemens Schüller <cs.mlists+gnus@mailbox.org> writes:

>> Harry Putnam wrote:
>>

>>> I tried that out with these changes:
>>>
>>> (setq send-mail-function smtpmail-send-it
>>>       smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>>>       smtpmail-stream-type tls
>>>       smtpmail-smtp-service 465
>>>       user-mail-address "hputnam3@gmail.com")
>>
>> My SMTP out Setup has the dependency of the from header:
>
> Pretty slick.  thanks. Nice to see concrete examples
>
> Let me ask if your host has a real FQDN.  Not like mine which is a
> host on dhcp from  ISP and not resolvable on the internet, not the host
> and not the domain.  That has been a real problem in trying to get
> some outgoing mail to work.

barnburner.local is a Raspberry Pi with postfix installed.
Only accessible in the local net.

--
Best Regards, Clemens Schüller