Xavier Maillard writes: > Rainer M Krug writes: > >> Glyn Millington writes: >> >>> Xavier Maillard writes: >>> >>>> Thanks for your feedback. I am considering to go « full NNTP » for all my >>>> mailing-lists needs (as long as it is possible). For example, I know gnu.* >>>> hierarchy offers many groups I regularly read without having to write a line >>>> of sieve script or without subscription. >>> >>> >>> You know about gmane? >>> >>> http://gmane.org/> >>> Almost certainly you do! but worth flagging it up in this thread. >> >> I had a similar setup, but moved back to mailing lists because of >> >> 1) many groups (particularly but not exclusively google groups) I can >> not post to via gmane but I have to use mail. And in many cases, the >> posts to gmane simply disappear in these cases - any suggestions on how >> I can solve this (posting to via mail instead of gmane), and I am likely >> to move back to gmane for all mailing lists > > If I understand correctly, you want to automatically switch to a mail-message > when posting on certain gmane groups instead of news-message, right ? > Dunno if it could work but did you try specifying `gnus-parameters' for these > groups ? Yes - exactly (as pointed out in my question here). I will look into these later today. > >> 2) archiving of the posts as a ressource to search is much faster when >> using offline storage of the posts and notmuch for indexing. I can >> search gmane from gnus as well, but I kind of prefer notmuch. > > I dropped notmuch entirely; too much « work » to maintain its index and I > always forget the query syntax altogether ;) Maintenance: I use offlineimap to sync my gmail account to a local dovecot imap server, and after each sync, "notmuch" -new is called - so no maintenance on my side. query syntax: This is tricky, but I usually use simple searches which are no problem via the emacs interface. And I am sure the gmane search syntax is also not to simple? Oh - one other advantage of mailing list: I can read them on all my devices. OK - I have to filter them by using rules on the server (gmail in my case), but than I can read them from all devices (gnus, web gmail, iPhone, whatever I use t access my gmail account). Cheers, Rainer > > -- Xavier. -- Rainer M. Krug email: Rainerkrugsde PGP: 0x0F52F982