* www.emacs.org?
@ 1997-03-30 23:33 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-03-30 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I try to connect to www.emacs.org, I end up on whee.com's web
page.

~/bin 524>nslookup www.emacs.org
Server:  mimming.ifi.uio.no
Address:  129.240.64.16

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.emacs.org
Address:  204.72.147.224

~/bin 523>nslookup www.whee.com
Server:  mimming.ifi.uio.no
Address:  129.240.64.16

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.whee.com
Address:  204.72.147.224

What's going on here?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: www.emacs.org?
@ 1997-03-31  0:45 ` David Moore
From: David Moore @ 1997-03-31  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> When I try to connect to www.emacs.org, I end up on whee.com's web
> page.

emacs.org and whee.com seem to be the same people according to
internic.  I don't think www.emacs.org ever pointed at emacs stuff, did
it?

The gnu project page is at: <URL:http://www.fsf.org/>

: sdnp5 ; whois emacs.org
The EMACS Collective (EMACS2-DOM)
   3025 Harbor Lane N. Suite 217
   Plymouth, MN 55447
   US

: sdnp5 ; whois whee.com
Member Services International (WHEE-DOM)
   3025 Harbor Lane
   Suite 217
   Plymouth, Mn, 55447

* Re: www.emacs.org?
@ 1997-03-31 10:44   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-03-31 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Moore <dmoore@ucsd.edu> writes:

> emacs.org and whee.com seem to be the same people according to
> internic.  I don't think www.emacs.org ever pointed at emacs stuff, did
> it?
>
> The gnu project page is at: <URL:http://www.fsf.org/>

Ah, right.  I'll update the Gnus pages.

> : sdnp5 ; whois emacs.org
> The EMACS Collective (EMACS2-DOM)

These people should have their fingers slapped.  Not only have they
stolen the domain; they have a misleading whois entry.  Feh.

  lmi@gnus.org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: www.emacs.org?
@ 1997-04-03 17:53     ` Jason R. Mastaler
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 1997-04-03 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <lmi@gnus.org> writes:

> These people should have their fingers slapped.  Not only have they
> stolen the domain; they have a misleading whois entry.  Feh.

I contacted the maintainers of emacs.org last week about this, and
finally got a response back.

  It will soon have information about emacs, but, mainly about xemacs
  because I feel its a much better program then GNU Emacs.

  Brian

Hmm...

--
Jason R. Mastaler                                 jason@mastaler.com

* Re: www.emacs.org?
@ 1997-04-03 18:08       ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-04-03 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jason R. Mastaler writes:
>Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <lmi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> These people should have their fingers slapped.  Not only have they
>> stolen the domain; they have a misleading whois entry.  Feh.
>
>I contacted the maintainers of emacs.org last week about this, and
>finally got a response back.
>
>  It will soon have information about emacs, but, mainly about xemacs
>  because I feel its a much better program then GNU Emacs.

  That's just silly, considering we already have a xemacs.org heirarchy.
Perhaps we should just draft this guy into the XEmacs web master arena.  Or
just shoot him, whatever. :)

-Bill P.

* Re: www.emacs.org?
@ 1997-04-03 18:45       ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-04-03 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

jason@mastaler.com (Jason R. Mastaler) writes:

>   It will soon have information about emacs, but, mainly about xemacs
>   because I feel its a much better program then GNU Emacs.
>
>   Brian

I hope they won't word it that way. :-(

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: www.emacs.org?
@ 1997-04-03 19:07       ` Brian T. O'Neill
From: Brian T. O'Neill @ 1997-04-03 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <lmi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > These people should have their fingers slapped.  Not only have they
> > stolen the domain; they have a misleading whois entry.  Feh.
>
> I contacted the maintainers of emacs.org last week about this, and
> finally got a response back.
>
>   It will soon have information about emacs, but, mainly about xemacs
>   because I feel its a much better program then GNU Emacs.
>
>   Brian
>
> Hmm...
>
> --
> Jason R. Mastaler                                 jason@mastaler.com

You know, its kinda funny, just cause whats currently on the emacs.org domain
is there cause I haven't had the time yet to setup my emacs page. Its also
kinda funny that you're talking about this on the ding@gnus list, when, I am a
subscriber to this list, and have been for quite some time now. I'm sorry you
all feel like I'm being an asshole about this, but, I'm not. The biggest
reason I got the domain in the first place, was to put alot of information on
using Emacs for things such as reading mail and news using Gnus. I only have
so much time in my life, and, if I'm not quick enough to make you happy, so be
it.

Brian O'Neill
--
  /\ /\                                | Brian T. O'Neill
/\\ \\ \ M E M B E R  S E R V I C E S  | Systems Engineer

* Re: www.emacs.org?
@ 1997-04-03 20:56   ` Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 1997-04-03 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

jason@mastaler.com (Jason R. Mastaler) writes:

> Simmer down sport.  I don't keep track of who is on the ding list,
> and you don't exactly contribute alot.  Besides, this discussion has
> been going on for some time now.  Maybe you should have stepped up
> earlier?  If I was really being an "asshole" about this I would have
> included the full headers of the message you sent me including your
> e-mail address instead of making it anonymous.

Oops, I misread Brian's response.  Ignore the above paragraph.

* Re: www.emacs.org?
       [not found] <199704031907.OAA27218@ashanti.vcinet.com>
@ 1997-04-03 19:59 ` Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 1997-04-03 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

"Brian T. O'Neill" <btoneill@member.com> writes:

> You know, its kinda funny, just cause whats currently on the emacs.org domain
> is there cause I haven't had the time yet to setup my emacs page. Its also
> kinda funny that you're talking about this on the ding@gnus list, when, I am a
> subscriber to this list, and have been for quite some time now. I'm sorry you
> all feel like I'm being an asshole about this, but, I'm not. The biggest
> reason I got the domain in the first place, was to put alot of information on
> using Emacs for things such as reading mail and news using Gnus. I only have
> so much time in my life, and, if I'm not quick enough to make you happy, so be
> it.

Simmer down sport.  I don't keep track of who is on the ding list,
and you don't exactly contribute alot.  Besides, this discussion has
been going on for some time now.  Maybe you should have stepped up
earlier?  If I was really being an "asshole" about this I would have
included the full headers of the message you sent me including your
e-mail address instead of making it anonymous.

Getting back to the subject, I find that the best way to handle
transitions like this is to either put up an "under construction"
or "coming soon" page, or to just not add the domain to DNS until
it is ready.  The fact that www.emacs.org resolves to another website
only confuses things.  It's not a crime to be busy, and were are not
blaming you for this.  I just think it was an issue of us being
unaware of the intentions of the domain.  It's good to see that
you plan on putting up an emacs page eventually, but please use it
for GNU Emacs information, not XEmacs which already has a domain
and website (http://www.XEmacs.org).

--
Jason R. Mastaler                                 jason@mastaler.com