* Custom problems on XEmacs
@ 1996-10-19  4:42 Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-10-19  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

The extent boundaries look like they're not being properly terminated
(folding and unfolding things result in a mess).

It's also excruciatingly slow.  I just fought for an hour trying to
get my customizations back in for gnus-summary-highlight, and
gnus-cite-face-list, and at the end when I selected save I got: :-(

(custom-set-variables)
(custom-set-faces)

Where did my customizations go?  I carefully hit Apply after
completing each change.

Tomorrow I'll try it in 19.34 and see if that works any better.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be billed at $250/message.

* Re: Custom problems on XEmacs
@ 1996-10-20 16:16 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-10-20 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

> The extent boundaries look like they're not being properly terminated
> (folding and unfolding things result in a mess).

I use text properties.  There is some display glitches under XEmacs,
but they don't seem too bad.

> It's also excruciatingly slow.

It does feel quote a bit slower under XEmacs, I don't know why.

> Where did my customizations go?  I carefully hit Apply after
> completing each change.

You need to hit `Set Default' to make the changes permanent.

Browsing the documentation might be wise.

It is problem with faces that are part of a list, like
`gnus-cite-face-list'.   You need to press `Set Default' in each
individual face (by activating the blue `[*]' button, instead of just
pressing the `Set Default' button at the bottom.  I haven't found a
good way to solve this, yet.

* Re: Custom problems on XEmacs
@ 1996-10-20 17:29   ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-10-20 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per> Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

sb> The extent boundaries look like they're not being properly
sb> terminated (folding and unfolding things result in a mess).

Per> I use text properties.  There is some display glitches under
Per> XEmacs, but they don't seem too bad.

They are not display glitches.  You are not opening or closing (the
terminology still confuses me) the endpoints properly.  Lars had the
same problem in topics mode.  The buttons are getting merged together,
things like the (show) button on faces may only be pressed once, etc.

sb> It's also excruciatingly slow.

Per> It does feel quote a bit slower under XEmacs, I don't know why.

Yup.  I've compared the performance under Emacs 19.34 and XEmacs 19.15
beta compiled under similar optimization, and we've got some major
optimization to do before releasing 19.15. :-(   It may be slowish
under 19.34, but it's usable (even on a wimpy Cyrix 486-DX66).

sb> Where did my customizations go?  I carefully hit Apply after
sb> completing each change.

Per> You need to hit `Set Default' to make the changes permanent.

O.K.

Per> Browsing the documentation might be wise.

<DEVIL'S ADVOCATE>
If reading the manual is going to be mandatory, why can't I just set
things in Lisp as is traditional?
</DEVIL'S ADVOCATE>

Per> It is problem with faces that are part of a list, like
Per> `gnus-cite-face-list'.   You need to press `Set Default' in each
Per> individual face (by activating the blue `[*]' button, instead of just
Per> pressing the `Set Default' button at the bottom.  I haven't found a
Per> good way to solve this, yet.

I hit the blue `[*]' buttons.  You mean I have to also hit `Set
Default' as well?
--

@ 1996-10-20 18:31     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-10-20 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

SLB> The buttons are getting merged together,
SLB> things like the (show) button on faces may only be pressed once, etc.

Pushing `show' multiple times on a face works for me on XEmacs 19.14.

SLB> <DEVIL'S ADVOCATE>
SLB> If reading the manual is going to be mandatory, why can't I just set
SLB> things in Lisp as is traditional?
SLB> </DEVIL'S ADVOCATE>

You can.  I also changed the face code so you can use `edit-faces' if
you prefer that.

The `Apply'/`Reset'/`Set Default' terminology is from the OPEN LOOK
GUI standard.  It would probably be better to use CUA (IBM)
terminology, but I do not know that.

SLB> I hit the blue `[*]' buttons.  You mean I have to also hit `Set
SLB> Default' as well?

If you hit `[*]', a menu will appear.  Select `Set Default' from that
menu.

* Re: Custom problems on XEmacs
@ 1996-10-20 19:26       ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-10-20 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

SLB> The buttons are getting merged together, things like the (show)
SLB> button on faces may only be pressed once, etc.

Per> Pushing `show' multiple times on a face works for me on XEmacs
Per> 19.14.

I'll investigate further, for now customize works so much better on
GNU Emacs that it seems better to do the customizations there instead
of XEmacs (just like the old days :-( ).

SLB> <DEVIL'S ADVOCATE>
SLB> If reading the manual is going to be mandatory, why can't I just set
SLB> things in Lisp as is traditional?
SLB> </DEVIL'S ADVOCATE>

Per> You can.  I also changed the face code so you can use `edit-faces' if
Per> you prefer that.

I just figured that out.  It's futile to try to define new faces in
customize, but if you put defface declarations in your .gnus, it all
works out quite nicely. :-)

Per> The `Apply'/`Reset'/`Set Default' terminology is from the OPEN
Per> LOOK GUI standard.  It would probably be better to use CUA (IBM)
Per> terminology, but I do not know that.

I suppose (being a fan of olvwm) I have no excuse for being confused.
I found hitting `Set Default' and `Apply' worked.

SLB> I hit the blue `[*]' buttons.  You mean I have to also hit `Set
SLB> Default' as well?

Per> If you hit `[*]', a menu will appear.  Select `Set Default' from that
Per> menu.

Yup.

I have a customized Gnus again, I'm happy :-)
--
steve@miranova.com baur
GNU Emacs 19.34.1 (i486-pc-linux, X toolkit) of Sun Aug 25 1996 on deanna.miranova.com