* gnus-pointer.xp[b]m background colour
@ 1997-09-23  0:03 Leonard Blanks
From: Leonard Blanks @ 1997-09-23  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

gnus-xmas-modeline-glyph defaults to the tiny gnu head glyph
represented in gnus-pointer.xpm and gnus-pointer.xbm.

The problem (a minor annoyance, actually) is that the glyph is not
displayed on the toolbar, but on the modeline which need not be
assigned the same background colour.  Despite this and the fact that
the glyph seems not to be used anywhere else (and certainly never on
the toolbar), it seems that the toolbar background colour is specified
in the xpm (and xbm) file:

,-----
| /* colors */
| ". c #0000ff",
| "# c #ebebeb s backgroundToolBarColor",
`-----

Am I reading this correctly and, if so, shouldn't the modeline
background colour be specified instead?

--
Len

* Re: gnus-pointer.xp[b]m background colour
@ 1997-09-23  4:46 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-23  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leonard Blanks <ltb@haruspex.demon.co.uk> writes:

> ,-----
> | /* colors */
> | ". c #0000ff",
> | "# c #ebebeb s backgroundToolBarColor",
> `-----
>
> Am I reading this correctly and, if so, shouldn't the modeline
> background colour be specified instead?

Yes...  and what is the modeline background color name?

* Re: gnus-pointer.xp[b]m background colour
@ 1997-09-23 14:21   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-09-23 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Am I reading this correctly and, if so, shouldn't the modeline
> > background colour be specified instead?
>
> Yes...  and what is the modeline background color name?

The face is called `modeline'.  Is it possible to construct the
background color in an XPM from that?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: gnus-pointer.xp[b]m background colour
@ 1997-09-23 15:51   ` Leonard Blanks
From: Leonard Blanks @ 1997-09-23 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Lars> Leonard Blanks <ltb@haruspex.demon.co.uk> writes:
 >> ,-----
 >> | /* colors */
 >> | ". c #0000ff",
 >> | "# c #ebebeb s backgroundToolBarColor",
 >> `-----
 >>
 >> Am I reading this correctly and, if so, shouldn't the modeline
 >> background colour be specified instead?

 Lars> Yes...  and what is the modeline background color name?

I am beginning to understand the reason for the universal use of the
toolbar background colours in the Gnus xpm files, since - it seems -
the toolbar is a "real" Xt widget and the modeline is not (or at least
not in the same sense as the toolbar is, having its own colour and
shading names).  This is implied in the XEmacs source, at least to
this noddy, and indicated as well in the .Xdefault settings:

  Emacs.modeline*attributeBackground

vs.

  Emacs*backgroundToolBarColor

It would be easy enough for me to customize the xpm file, but a more
general solution would have been nice.

Just out of curiosity, would a setting of "none" provide an
acceptable general solution if my assumptions about modeline as a
second-class widget with no "proper" background colour name are true?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-23 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leonard Blanks <ltb@haruspex.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I am beginning to understand the reason for the universal use of the
> toolbar background colours in the Gnus xpm files, since - it seems -
> the toolbar is a "real" Xt widget and the modeline is not (or at least
> not in the same sense as the toolbar is, having its own colour and
> shading names).

Yup.  It would be nice if the same could be done for the modeline.

But, uhm, could we use xbms instead and just set the colors to what
the modeline colors are?

* Re: gnus-pointer.xp[b]m background colour
@ 1997-09-24  1:28     ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1997-09-24  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>> > Am I reading this correctly and, if so, shouldn't the modeline
>> > background colour be specified instead?
>>
>> Yes...  and what is the modeline background color name?

> The face is called `modeline'.  Is it possible to construct the
> background color in an XPM from that?

Yes, (or any other color).

* Re: gnus-pointer.xp[b]m background colour
@ 1997-09-24  1:31       ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1997-09-24  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Leonard Blanks <ltb@haruspex.demon.co.uk> writes:
>> I am beginning to understand the reason for the universal use of the
>> toolbar background colours in the Gnus xpm files, since - it seems -
>> the toolbar is a "real" Xt widget and the modeline is not (or at least
>> not in the same sense as the toolbar is, having its own colour and
>> shading names).

> Yup.  It would be nice if the same could be done for the modeline.

> But, uhm, could we use xbms instead and just set the colors to what
> the modeline colors are?

You don't need to.  Leonard's suggestion of changing the background
color in the XPM file to `none' should work.

The background color of the XEmacs logo displayed on the splash screen
is transparent and is coded:

"k s None c None",

in the xemacs.xpm file.

* Re: gnus-pointer.xp[b]m background colour
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-24 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

SL Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:

> The background color of the XEmacs logo displayed on the splash screen
> is transparent and is coded:
>
> "k s None c None",

I've now changed the gnu mode-line head to use the same.