* RE: SOUP!
@ 1997-02-13  3:36 Brian Gorka
From: Brian Gorka @ 1997-02-13  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Finally got it working for reading packets.  That's all I really needed.
 Somewhere between Red Gnus .55-.65 and this one it stopped working.
Setting everything explicitly seemed to fix the problem.

As a side note, I'm amazed at the lack of support I had gotten from the
list.  I've always told people EMACS is the best editor on the planet,
and it has the best support money can't buy.  EMACS users are more of a
community than a userbase, and there is no problem that can't be mulled
through with the help of the masses.  Maybe it's OS bigotry (NT and
all), or maybe no one cared.

* RE: SOUP!
@ 1997-02-13 14:32 ` C. R. Oldham
From: C. R. Oldham @ 1997-02-13 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Brian Gorka wrote:

> As a side note, I'm amazed at the lack of support I had gotten from the
> list.  I've always told people EMACS is the best editor on the planet,
> and it has the best support money can't buy.  EMACS users are more of a
> community than a userbase, and there is no problem that can't be mulled
> through with the help of the masses.  Maybe it's OS bigotry (NT and
> all), or maybe no one cared.

I think it has more to do with the fact that there are so few users of
nnsoup.  Lars has always been extremely helpful, but I don't think he
uses nnsoup himself, and thus might not be familiar with all its quirks
(of which there are lots).

Also, this list is primarily the "development" list for rgnus (now gnus
5.4.12).  More general questions I think should be directed to
gnu.emacs.gnus.

--
| Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham     |         NCA Commission on Schools  |
| cro@nca.asu.edu               |  Arizona St. Univ., PO Box 873011  |

* Re: SOUP!
@ 1997-02-13 18:01   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1997-02-13 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Brian Gorka, ding

"C. R. Oldham" <cro@nca.asu.edu> writes:

| Lars has always been extremely helpful, but I don't think he uses
| nnsoup himself, and thus might not be familiar with all its quirks
| (of which there are lots).

Lars told me he uses nnsoup for himself, all the time.  I use it fairly
often myself, and surely, Lars helped me at understanding the documentation
about it.  Moreover, following our exchanges, I think he revised many
things in the manual about nnsoup, to make it clearer.

In fact, seen with a broader view, Gnus is a wonderful tool, but all
newcomers around me had some difficulty at their first steps.  Once you've
got it working for you and understand a bit was is going on, it becomes
uneasy recovering the virginity you need for more properly criticising
Gnus documentation.

My feeling is that Lars should improve the manual by paying special
attention and understanding exactly the ways by which newcomers (to various
Gnus areas -- it is a wide package to visit) are mislead, and managing so
this is less likely to happen.  The manual should assume less knowledge
or intuition all over, and be as explicit as possible.  I quite understand
this is easier to ask than to achieve :-).  Just sharing opinions!

--
François Pinard         ``Vivement GNU!''        pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Support Programming Freedom, join our League!  Ask lpf@lpf.org for info!

* Re: SOUP!
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-14  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

pinard@progiciels-bpi.ca (François Pinard) writes:

> Lars told me he uses nnsoup for himself, all the time.

I stopped using it in, uhm, November?  Yeah.  That's when I set up
suck/innd/sendmail/ppp/ad nauseam.  I think the nnagent backend will
give us the best of both worlds -- total control over what's
transferred (which I don't have now) and total automation (which I
didn't have when I used nnsoup).

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: SOUP!
@ 1997-02-14  9:36 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-14  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

gorkab@sanchez.com (Brian Gorka) writes:

> As a side note, I'm amazed at the lack of support I had gotten from the
> list.  I've always told people EMACS is the best editor on the planet,
> and it has the best support money can't buy.  EMACS users are more of a
> community than a userbase, and there is no problem that can't be mulled
> through with the help of the masses.  Maybe it's OS bigotry (NT and
> all), or maybe no one cared.

Or that nobody had anything helpful to say.  My guess is that the
intersection of people who use NT and people who use nnsoup is, how
shall I put it?, miniscule.  You're a pioneer!

So -- how did you do it, and what were the problems?  It might make a
nice addition to the FAQ or to the manual.

@ 1997-04-04  7:36 ` Dewey M. Sasser
From: Dewey M. Sasser @ 1997-04-04  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hardy> This is perhaps a FAQ, nevertheless: I am trying to setup
    Hardy> gnus to accept SOUPs - without success.  Does anybody has a
    Hardy> working setup and is willing to share it with me?

    Hardy> BTW: my platform is OS/2, emacs 19.33, gnus 5.4.37.

    Hardy> Ah, yes: another (maybe _the_) handicap is, that I cannot
    Hardy> compile several files from the gnus distribution:
    Hardy> gnus-picon.el, gnus-xmas.el (I know, it's not xmas now...),
    Hardy> nnweb.el and smiley.el.  They complain the following way:

5.4.37 compiled perfectly for me "out of the box" (also OS/2 emx
19.33).  I used this as my compilation line:

rm -f *.elc ; emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -l ./dgnushack.el -f dgnushack-compile

(or "make" will do as well, but my shell seems to be broken and
doesn't like the ';')

The files you mention as uncompilable appear to be Xemacs files, so
they are irrelevant to us.

Unfortunately, I can't help you on the SOUP problem.

--
Dewey M. Sasser 			voice: (617) 494-6000
dewey@newvision.com                     PGP Key from public servers

* SOUP!?
@ 1997-04-03 20:26 Hardy Griech
From: Hardy Griech @ 1997-04-03 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is perhaps a FAQ, nevertheless:

I am trying to setup gnus to accept SOUPs - without success.  Does
anybody has a working setup and is willing to share it with me?

BTW: my platform is OS/2, emacs 19.33, gnus 5.4.37.

Ah, yes: another (maybe _the_) handicap is, that I cannot compile
several files from the gnus distribution: gnus-picon.el, gnus-xmas.el
(I know, it's not xmas now...), nnweb.el and smiley.el.  They complain
the following way:

Compiling file d:/emacs/19.33/zip/gnus-5.4.37/lisp/smiley.el at Thu Apr 03 21:33:27 1997
  !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "annotations"))

Compiling file d:/emacs/19.33/zip/gnus-5.4.37/lisp/nnweb.el at Thu Apr 03 21:33:39 1997
  !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "w3"))

Compiling file d:/emacs/19.33/zip/gnus-5.4.37/lisp/gnus-xmas.el at Thu Apr 03 21:33:56 1997
  !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "text-props"))

Compiling file d:/emacs/19.33/zip/gnus-5.4.37/lisp/gnus-picon.el at Thu Apr 03 21:34:25 1997
  !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "xpm"))

Any ideas?

--
Hardy Griech, Ernetstr. 10/1, D-77933 Lahr
http://privat.swol.de/ReinhardGriech/

* Re: SOUP!
@ 1997-02-13  1:15 ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-02-13  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen', 'ding@ifi.uio.no'

Try "A z"

--
Eze Ogwuma

* RE: SOUP!
@ 1997-02-12 15:26 Brian Gorka
From: Brian Gorka @ 1997-02-12 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, I've gotten SOUP to go to the right directory.  I still cannot get
it to show me the groups it noticed...

Reading d:/emacs/.newsrc.eld...
Reading active file via nnsoup...
nnsoup: unpacking d:/emacs/Soupout29.j...
Unpacking: jar32 e d:/emacs/Soupout29.j -o
Unpacking...done
Incorporating file 0...
Incorporating file 1...
Incorporating file 2...
Incorporating file 4...
Incorporating file 5...
Incorporating file 6...
Incorporating file 7...
Incorporating file 9...
Incorporating file 29...
Incorporating file 30...
Incorporating file 31...
Incorporating file 32...
Incorporating file 33...
Incorporating file 34...
Incorporating file 35...
Incorporating file 36...
Incorporating file 37...
Incorporating file 38...
Incorporating file 39...
Incorporating file 40...
Incorporating file 41...
Incorporating file 42...
Incorporating file 43...
Incorporating file 44...
Unpacking...done
Reading active file via nnsoup...
Reading active file via nnsoup...done
First time user; subscribing you to default groups
Opening nndoc server on gnus-help...

`A k' to list killed groups
Checking new news...
Checking new news...done

* RE: SOUP!
@ 1997-02-12 14:00 Brian Gorka
From: Brian Gorka @ 1997-02-12 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-02-12  8:53 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-12  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

gorkab@sanchez.com (Brian Gorka) writes:

> gnus notices this and unpacks it into ~/Soup (I set that as the tmp
> directory because I had a problem with the copying from /tmp to
> ~/Soup...

Eeek.  Don't do that.  Set the tmp directory to *anything* else than
that.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* SOUP!
@ 1997-02-12  1:30 Brian Gorka
From: Brian Gorka @ 1997-02-12  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need a little more information on SOUP packets (or at least more than
is provided in the info files)

I'm running gnus 5.4.12 on NT 4.0 and Windows 95.

Here's the process I am using to test this:

pick a newsgroup using NNTP
G s b (gnus soup brew)
	at this point I have 3 files in ~/Soupbrew
	1.idx
	1.msg
	areas

G s p (gnus soup pack)
	now the three above files are in 1 packed file

Change my server select method to nnsoup
delete ~/.newsrc*.*
Copy the soupout2 file into ~/
gnus notices this and unpacks it into ~/Soup (I set that as the tmp
directory because I had a problem with the copying from /tmp to
~/Soup...
I now have 3 files in ~/Soup
	1.msg
	1.idx
	areas

A k reveals nothing killed
A z reveals no zombies

gnus seems to not notice the unpacked soup packet.  In the docs it
mentions an active file and how screwed you are without one.  Where does
it come from?  Am I doing somthing wrong?  If someone can tell me where
somthing is not doing the right thing, I can look into it more.

I seem to remember more files being part of a soup package...  (like a
list file)  This used to work.  If anyone has any insight, let me know.

---------------------
from my .emacs...

;; Set or backend
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnsoup ""))

;; Soup Packer and Unpacker
(setq nnsoup-packer "jar32 m -m4 Soupout%d.j $HOME/SoupBrew/ %s")
(setq gnus-soup-packer "jar32 m -m4 Soupout%d.j $HOME/SoupBrew/ %s")
(setq nnsoup-unpacker "jar32 e %s -od:/emacs/soup")
(setq gnus-soup-unpacker "jar32 e %s -od:/emacs/soup")
(setq gnus-soup-packet-directory "~/Soup")
(setq nnsoup-tmp-directory "~/Soup")
(setq nnsoup-active-file "~/Soup/active")