* Re: GNUS...
       [not found] ` <m2zpxs7yp6.fsf@proletcult.slip.ifi.uio.no>
@ 1997-01-30 11:19   ` Per Persson
From: Per Persson @ 1997-01-30 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

gnus-bug@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) writes:

> > Why did you people strip out gnus-postings-styles from GNUS? It was
> > the single most useful thing, I thought, in GNUS.
>
> It'll make its return in the next version of Gnus.

Is someone currently hacking on this? If not, I think I'm interested
in doing it myself (it's a function I want, so damn if it doesn't work
they way I want it to. ;-)

My guess is that it should be a part of the Group Parameters
thingiebob now, no? This seems like the most sensible thing to me.

--pp
http://sno.pp.se/~pp/

* Re: GNUS...
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-01-30 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Persson <pp@swip.net> writes:

> Is someone currently hacking on this?

Not that I know of.

> My guess is that it should be a part of the Group Parameters
> thingiebob now, no? This seems like the most sensible thing to me.

I guess...

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Posting styles
@ 1997-01-30 17:30       ` Steinar Bang
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-01-30 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Per Persson <pp@swip.net> writes:
[about posting styles]

>> Is someone currently hacking on this?

> Not that I know of.

>> My guess is that it should be a part of the Group Parameters
>> thingiebob now, no? This seems like the most sensible thing to me.

> I guess...

Could someone summarize the posting styles of GNUS?

I know what I would like to be able to modify, based on the group I'm
in:
	- email address (in such a way that you can cancel a message
	  on this group)
	- organization header
	- signature
	- what MIME encoding to use (eg. whether, or not to use q-p,
          whether or not to use RFC 1522 encoding of headers)

The latter would presumably be settings in TM.

But what else?

I currently have the twp top items, under rgnus-0.82+TM.  I also plan
to have the third, once I figure out how TM does this.

But this are through, separate, more or less hacked elisp (especially
the first one, where I use defadvice...).  Ie. not a tidy structure,
with single point of change, defaults, etc. etc.

- Steinar

* Re: Posting styles
@ 1997-01-30 21:47       ` Edward J. Sabol
       [not found]       ` <199701302147.QA <19970201184031.24574.qmail@sunsite.auc.dk>
From: Edward J. Sabol @ 1997-01-30 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from mail: (30-Jan-97) Posting styles by Steinar Bang
Steinar> Could someone summarize the posting styles of GNUS?

Gnus-posting-styles was originally implemented in September Gnus 0.10 and
later removed right before the Gnus 5.2 release (I assume due to some
incompatibility with message-mode which was added late in the September Gnus
development period) under the cloak of darkness and without even a ChangeLog
entry. See the Ding nnml archive circa September 28th, 1995 for the whole
story of the origin of gnus-posting-styles.

The gnus-posting-styles variable was an alist of `(MATCH . STYLE-LIST)'
pairs where MATCH could be either a regexp or a function/form to be eval'ed
and STYLE-LIST was an alist of `(ATTRIBUTE . VALUE)' pairs. Valid attributes
were supposed to be one of `signature', `from', `organization', and `xface'
or a string signifying an abtitrary message header. VALUE could also be a
function or form to be eval'ed. For example:

 (setq gnus-post-style
       '((".*" . ((signature . nil)
                  (xface . "~/.xface")
                  (organization . "Rebel Alliance")
		  ("X-Home-Page" . (getenv "WWW_HOME"))
                  ("X-Arbitrary-Header" . "blah, blah, blah")
                  ))
         ((posting-from-work-p) . ((signature . "~/.work-signature")
                                   (from . "user@bar.com")))
         ((not (usenet-post-p)) . ((signature . "~/.mail-signature")))
         ("^rec.humor" . ((signature . (my-funny-signature-randomizer))
                          (from . "user@foo.com")))
         ("^alt.quotations" . ((signature . (my-quote-randomizer))
                               (from . "user@foo.com")))
         ("^comp" . ((signature . "My computer is better than yours!")
	             (organization . "Whiz-Bang Computer, Inc.")))
         (".*emacs.*" . ((signature . "Give me Emacs or give me death!")))
         ("^nnml: . ((signature . "~/.mail-signature")))
         ))

Gnus iterated through each element of the alist in order and used all the
styles that match. Thus, the order of items in the list was significant. In
the above example, the signature "Give me Emacs or give me death!" would be
used in both comp.editors.emacs.* and alt.religion.emacs, but not
comp.unix.programmer.

I think this has a *lot* of intrisic freedom that using group parameters
doesn't give you. See the above example where in two cases the MATCH portion
of the alist are `(posting-from-work-p)' and `(not (usenet-post-p)'. Group
parameters couldn't do that.

Excerpts from mail: (30-Jan-97) Re: GNUS... by Per Persson
Per> My guess is that it should be a part of the Group Parameters thingiebob
Per> now, no? This seems like the most sensible thing to me.

The problem with using group parameters for posting styles comes when you
have well over 200 hundred groups that you are subscribed to. Setting a
specific style for say, all the comp.* groups gets pretty tedious. Topics can
help with this, but then you're forcing everyone to use topics.

For the best of both worlds, maybe if similar group parameters exist they
could override the variable settings?

My suggestion is to keep it as a variable as defined above and possibly
rename it message-posting-styles. I can see people wanting to use it or
something like it outside of Gnus whereever there is message-mode. The
definition of this message-posting-styles variable would probably have to be
tweaked in some manner to make it non-Gnus-specific. For example, instead of

 (setq gnus-posting-style
       '(("^rec.humor" . ((signature . (my-funny-signature-randomizer))
                          (from . "user@foo.com")))))

there would be

 (setq message-posting-style
       '((gnus-group-name-matches "^rec.humor") .
           ((signature . (my-funny-signature-randomizer))
            (from . "user@foo.com")))))

This way it could be generic.

Later,
Ed

* Re: Posting styles
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-01-31 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Edward J. Sabol" <sabol@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> Gnus iterated through each element of the alist in order and used all the
> styles that match. Thus, the order of items in the list was significant. In
> the above example, the signature "Give me Emacs or give me death!" would be
> used in both comp.editors.emacs.* and alt.religion.emacs, but not
> comp.unix.programmer.
>
> I think this has a *lot* of intrisic freedom that using group parameters
> doesn't give you. See the above example where in two cases the MATCH portion
> of the alist are `(posting-from-work-p)' and `(not (usenet-post-p)'. Group
> parameters couldn't do that.

Yup.  I think perhaps we should just reinstate `gnus-posting-styles'
as `message-posting-styles' in Quassia Gnus.  Perhaps allow a
`post-style' Group parameter to override the variable.  Uhm...  No,
actually, I think it should be `gnus-posting-styles'; that may be
slightly more unclean, but will allow us to do more neat stuff, I
think.

@ 1997-02-01 18:40       ` anonymous
       [not found]       ` <199701302147.QA <19970201184031.24574.qmail@sunsite.auc.dk>
From: anonymous @ 1997-02-01 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

A01798@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> <m2enf1biqm.fsf@proletcult.slip.ifi.uio.no>
From: dubach1@fas.harvard.edu (Joev Dubach)
Date: 01 Feb 1997 13:40:30 -0500

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Yup.  I think perhaps we should just reinstate `gnus-posting-styles'
> as `message-posting-styles' in Quassia Gnus.  Perhaps allow a
> `post-style' Group parameter to override the variable.  Uhm...  No,
> actually, I think it should be `gnus-posting-styles'; that may be
> slightly more unclean, but will allow us to do more neat stuff, I
> think.

But what if people want to use it for mail originated outside of Gnus?
If there's really clever stuff that people need to be inside Gnus to
use, why not have both variables, with gnus-posting-styles overriding
message-posting-styles when necessary?

Joev                            <URL:http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dubach1/>

  "In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!"
          -- Homer, The Simpsons

* Re: Posting styles
       [not found]       ` <199701302147.QA <19970201184031.24574.qmail@sunsite.auc.dk>
@ 1997-02-03  4:39         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-03  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

anonymous@sunsite.auc.dk writes:

> But what if people want to use it for mail originated outside of Gnus?
> If there's really clever stuff that people need to be inside Gnus to
> use, why not have both variables, with gnus-posting-styles overriding
> message-posting-styles when necessary?

That's one possibility.  We'll see how best to do this when that time
comes.

@ 1997-02-03 19:33           ` Edward J. Sabol
From: Edward J. Sabol @ 1997-02-03 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from mail: (31-Jan-97) Re: Posting styles by Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> Yup. I think perhaps we should just reinstate `gnus-posting-styles' as
> `message-posting-styles' in Quassia Gnus. Perhaps allow a `post-style'
> Group parameter to override the variable. Uhm... No, actually, I think
> it should be `gnus-posting-styles'; that may be slightly more unclean,
> but will allow us to do more neat stuff, I think.

Define "neat stuff." I don't see anything that can be done in a
gnus-posting-styles that couldn't be done in a message-posting-styles, or am
I missing something? I really think it should be generic and part of
message-mode...

Later,
Ed

* Re: Posting styles
@ 1997-02-04  0:49             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-04  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Edward J. Sabol" <sabol@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> Define "neat stuff." I don't see anything that can be done in a
> gnus-posting-styles that couldn't be done in a
> message-posting-styles, or am I missing something?

Gnus has a lot more information about the groups.  For instance, doing
something based on what nntp server the message is being posted by,
and stuff like that.  Perhaps.

> I really think it should be generic and part of message-mode...

Perhaps.  We'll see.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: posting styles
@ 1999-09-24 22:33 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-09-24 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

GS> Is there any way to choose a posting style when doing C-x m manually?
GS> (I have mail-user-agent set to message mode).

Yes.  And how do you ensure that a message generated with
'M-x message-mail' also has the Gcc headers in it?  I have tried a few
things like
        (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'gnus-inews-insert-archive-gcc)
and they work marginally well.

Actually, this is kinda funny.  Gnus will insert a GCC based on the group I
am currently reading, regardless of my method of firing message-mail.  I
expect it to insert the regular Gcc if I reply or followup, maybe if I hit
'm.'  But when I do C-x m and its cousins, I expect Gnus to insert the Gcc
that gets inserted if newsgroups is nil.

I would also like message-mail to not use gnus-configuration, or at least
to do it right.  If I have a non-Gnus buffer (buffer X) open and do
        * message-mail or message-mail-other-window
        * compose and send the message
I am not returned to "buffer X."  Due to the configuration stuff, I am
returned to some collection of Gnus windows.

--
Jack Vinson
Bart: My homework was not stolen by a one-armed man.

* posting styles
@ 1999-09-24 21:24 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1999-09-24 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-03-14 20:04 ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1999-03-14 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ((posting-style
>   (name "Harry Putnam")
>   (address "Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>")))
>
> Shouldn't the above cause the "From: " header to say
> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>  ?

I don't think your syntax for `address' is correct.  Try something
like the following instead:

 ((posting-style
   (name "Harry Putnam")
   (address "reader@newsguy.com")))

* Posting styles
@ 1999-03-14 18:48 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-03-14 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Attempting to use Group Parameters to employ posting styles like so:

((posting-style
  (name "Harry Putnam")
  (address "Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>")))

Shouldn't the above cause the "From: " header to say
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>  ?

I'm posting from root due to problems getting user accounts setup
properly (this post is from a separate machine).  With the parameter
above installed, messages still have a "From" header that says `root
<reader@newsguy.com>'.

--
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Running Redhat Linux 5.2