* insert signature after message-send-and-exit
@ 1996-11-09  2:01 Roderick Schertler
From: Roderick Schertler @ 1996-11-09  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I like to edit messages without my signature in the buffer and then to
have Gnus insert the signature behind the scenes after I type \C-c \C-c.
I can't see that message mode can be made to do this simply, but I
suspect I am missing something.  (This is the default behavior on other
news readers, so it seems weird that few Gnus users would want message
mode to work this way.)

If I'm not missing something and the idea isn't repugnant I'd be happy
to supply code to provide this behavior based on a variable's setting.

--
Roderick Schertler
roderick@gate.net

* Re: insert signature after message-send-and-exit
@ 1996-11-09  3:08 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-11-09  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roderick Schertler <roderick@gate.net> writes:

> I like to edit messages without my signature in the buffer and then to
> have Gnus insert the signature behind the scenes after I type \C-c \C-c.
> I can't see that message mode can be made to do this simply, but I
> suspect I am missing something.

You have to write some hookey functions to be run from
`message-send-hook', for instance.

> (This is the default behavior on other news readers, so it seems
> weird that few Gnus users would want message mode to work this way.)

It's that "strategy of least surprise" -- the messages should go out
looking more or less as they look when the user is editing it.  (I
know, some headers are generated upon exit, but generating Date,
Sender and Message-ID is impossible to do before actually sending the
message, so why not generate From and the rest as well?)

For instance, Message expands abbrevs while typing, not sending, which
is different from Mail mode.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen