From: Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com>
Subject: Re: Custom problems on XEmacs
Date: 20 Oct 1996 10:29:52 -0700	[thread overview]

>>>>> "Per" == Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

Per> Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

sb> The extent boundaries look like they're not being properly
sb> terminated (folding and unfolding things result in a mess).

Per> I use text properties.  There is some display glitches under
Per> XEmacs, but they don't seem too bad.

They are not display glitches.  You are not opening or closing (the
terminology still confuses me) the endpoints properly.  Lars had the
same problem in topics mode.  The buttons are getting merged together,
things like the (show) button on faces may only be pressed once, etc.

sb> It's also excruciatingly slow.

Per> It does feel quote a bit slower under XEmacs, I don't know why.

Yup.  I've compared the performance under Emacs 19.34 and XEmacs 19.15
beta compiled under similar optimization, and we've got some major
optimization to do before releasing 19.15. :-(   It may be slowish
under 19.34, but it's usable (even on a wimpy Cyrix 486-DX66).

sb> Where did my customizations go?  I carefully hit Apply after
sb> completing each change.

Per> You need to hit `Set Default' to make the changes permanent.

O.K.

Per> Browsing the documentation might be wise.

<DEVIL'S ADVOCATE>
If reading the manual is going to be mandatory, why can't I just set
things in Lisp as is traditional?
</DEVIL'S ADVOCATE>

Per> It is problem with faces that are part of a list, like
Per> `gnus-cite-face-list'.   You need to press `Set Default' in each
Per> individual face (by activating the blue `[*]' button, instead of just
Per> pressing the `Set Default' button at the bottom.  I haven't found a
Per> good way to solve this, yet.

I hit the blue `[*]' buttons.  You mean I have to also hit `Set
Default' as well?
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be billed at $250/message.