From: Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org>
To: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Connecting to IMAP when exiting a group that has nnml emails
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 22:10:25 +0530	[thread overview]

On Mon, Sep 28 2020, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

>> 1. While in a group that has emails from nnml backend, I presed 'm'
>> and started composing email. After pressing C-c C-c to send the email
>> a buffer opened for a very short time and vanished. I had doubt, so I
>> check the 'sent archive' group. It didn't have the email. Then I went
>> to server and checked that the email has actually gone.

>> 2. While in the same group, I marked a few emails as expirable. Then
>> pressed 'q' to exit to group buffer. Gnus started to connect to
>> IMAP. I don't know why. The emails are managed by nnml backend in
>> this group.

> Perhaps you've got posting styles slightly misconfigured so that, when
> composing a message from the nnml group, the Gcc header is set to the
> nnimap "Sent" group? And/or your `nnmail{-fancy,}-expiry-target' is
> set to a group on the nnimap server? That would account for Gnus
> connecting to IMAP after send/expiry.

You got it. The nnmail-expiry-target was wrong. I was setting it in the
gnus-secondary-select-method. Along with (nnimap-address, nnimap-inbox)
etc.

So when entered an imap group it works. But after exiting from the group
the value of nnmail-expiry-target is not reset to 'delete'. Hence I was
facing the issue.

> When you compose a mail, check what the Gcc header says. And I'm
> guessing the expiry thing is a separate problem.

Nope. The Gcc header is correct. It is

Gcc: nnfolder+archive:sent.2020-09

But still the sent mail is not saved in the above group.

--
Pankaj Jangid

GnuPG Fingerprint => 0B62 7424 3B26 A911 052A DDE6 7C95 6E6F F858 7689