* NoCeM flakiness in 0.74 and higher
@ 1996-12-17 18:36 Sudish Joseph
From: Sudish Joseph @ 1996-12-17 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's trying to fetch the entire spool each time (well, I kill it
at the start).

My News/NoCeM/active has:
(setq gnus-nocem-active (quote (
	("news.admin.net-abuse.announce" (10845 . 11363))
	("alt.nocem.misc" (25378 . 26700)))))

news.lists.filters isn't in there coz I just upgraded to 0.76 in the
hopes of getting proper treatment for alt.nocem.misc (which, BTW,
shouldn't be checked anymore, right? Or maybe not, I haven't been
following this stuff.)  No dice, 0.76 just tried to get everything
again.

[atreides]% telnet news nntp
[...]
group news.lists.filters
211 273 5 306 news.lists.filters
group alt.nocem.misc
211 1122 25533 26811 alt.nocem.misc
[...]

Here's where I stopped gnus:
Checking article 25608 in alt.nocem.misc for NoCeM...
Good signature from user "AutoMoose1 (Automated Cancelmoose)".
Verifying...

It'd been running for a longish while before I killed it.  I wathced
it start on news.lists.filters, said "yay, no more alt.nocem.misc",
went for a smoke to give it time to scan the 250+ articles in n.l.f
and came back to find it'd finished that and gone back to the a.n.m
flakiness.

This is pretty ugly.  I have to set g-u-nocem to nil to see new news.
It'd be neat if there was an explicit -batch interface to NoCeM,
expecially since the gnus-daemon stuff has never worked for me in
XEmacs.  I've been meaning to see why, never had the time.

While I'm whining about stuff I'm not fixing/coding myself, I might as
well mention that having the nocem stuff work off the scoring
mechanism would be tres cool.

In particular, it'd be neat if one could have an alist that let you
specify the type of score entry you want generated for articles
that're being eliminated by nocem.  A followup entry (I.e., low score
on references) would be the most useful.  (Subject scores are less
useful, given that a spammer could well choose a subject line that
matches useful articles.)

An alist might be useful if we could come up with a reasonably concise
description of a nocem-issuer that combined newsgroup context.
Something that allowed statements like "issue followup scoredowns for
nocems issued for articles in groups that match this regexp and issued
by this person".  Maybe not very useful.  A single option allowing
score type selection would be very useful, though.

Bleagh, apologies for the rambling.

-Sudish