* variable 'gnus-default-subscribed-newgroups' removed?
@ 2012-11-06  1:03 Easior Lars
From: Easior Lars @ 2012-11-06  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi, all!

I always see a variable 'gnus-default-subscribed-newgroups' when I search the
configuration on gnus with google. But it doesn't take effect when I use it.
Is it removed? Which variable in gnus is its replacement?

Thank in advance!

Cheer,

Easior

* Re: variable 'gnus-default-subscribed-newgroups' removed?
@ 2012-11-06 15:57 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2012-11-06 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 09:03:38 +0800, Easior wrote:

> I always see a variable 'gnus-default-subscribed-newgroups' when I
> search the configuration on gnus with google. But it doesn't take
> effect when I use it. Is it removed? Which variable in gnus is its
> replacement?

It was removed in 2010:

 * http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/commit/?id=3c241eab11755103e216295cb90967f6026a2fe3
 * http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/commit/?id=73810150c110e51bd89a6922664c617ae5d42c12

As far as I can see it was merely a list of newsgroups that you would be
subscribed to automatically when running Gnus the first time.

The replacement could simply be to subscribe to the groups you would
like to follow (use ^ to go to the *Server* buffer, go RET on the server
in question, then u on the groups you want, and finally q q to get back
to the *Group* buffer).

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "My lack of interest in this conversation could only         Adam Sjøgren
  be described as religious in intensity."               asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: variable 'gnus-default-subscribed-newgroups' removed?
@ 2012-11-07  4:14   ` Easior
From: Easior @ 2012-11-07  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

    AS> On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 09:03:38 +0800, Easior wrote:
    >>  I always see a variable 'gnus-default-subscribed-newgroups' when I
    >>  search the configuration on gnus with google. But it doesn't take
    >>  effect when I use it. Is it removed? Which variable in gnus is its
    >>  replacement?

    AS> It was removed in 2010:

    AS> *
    AS> http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/commit/?id=3c241eab11755103e216295cb90967f6026a2fe3
    AS> *
    AS> http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/commit/?id=73810150c110e51bd89a6922664c617ae5d42c12

    AS> As far as I can see it was merely a list of newsgroups that you would
    AS> be
    AS> subscribed to automatically when running Gnus the first time.

    AS> The replacement could simply be to subscribe to the groups you would
    AS> like to follow (use ^ to go to the *Server* buffer, go RET on the
    AS> server
    AS> in question, then u on the groups you want, and finally q q to get
    AS> back
    AS> to the *Group* buffer).

    AS> Best regards,

    AS> Adam

    AS> --
    AS> "My lack of interest in this conversation could only Adam Sjgren
    AS> be described as religious in intensity." asjo@koldfront.dk

Thank you, Adam.

easior

--