* Creating an ephemeral group for a single article?
@ 2011-09-14  4:57 John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2011-09-14  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'd like to write a function that I could call from, say, Org.  It should take
a Message-Id, and create an ephemeral group containing that one message, found
by the same mechanism that uses gnus-refer-article-method -- so that it can
find the message wherever it might be.  And if it truly can't find the
message, it should ding and say that.

What I have now is a half solution, as it inserts the message into my INBOX
summary:

(defun gnus-goto-article (message-id)
  (gnus-summary-read-group "INBOX" nil t)
  (gnus-summary-refer-article message-id))

Thanks,
  John

* Re: Creating an ephemeral group for a single article?
@ 2011-09-15 20:32 ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-09-15 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Wed Sep 14 2011, John Wiegley <jwiegley-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to write a function that I could call from, say, Org.  It should take
> a Message-Id, and create an ephemeral group containing that one message, found
> by the same mechanism that uses gnus-refer-article-method -- so that it can
> find the message wherever it might be.  And if it truly can't find the
> message, it should ding and say that.
>
> What I have now is a half solution, as it inserts the message into my INBOX
> summary:
> (defun gnus-goto-article (message-id)
>   (gnus-summary-read-group "INBOX" nil t)
>   (gnus-summary-refer-article message-id))

John, did you see
[[gnus:nntp%2BLocalNNTP:gmane.emacs.gnus.general#m2r53hslyd.fsf@pluto.luannocracy.com][this
article]]?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Creating an ephemeral group for a single article?
@ 2011-09-26 20:19   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-09-26 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:32:52 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

DA> on Wed Sep 14 2011, John Wiegley <jwiegley-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'd like to write a function that I could call from, say, Org.  It should take
>> a Message-Id, and create an ephemeral group containing that one message, found
>> by the same mechanism that uses gnus-refer-article-method -- so that it can
>> find the message wherever it might be.  And if it truly can't find the
>> message, it should ding and say that.
>>
>> What I have now is a half solution, as it inserts the message into my INBOX
>> summary:
>> (defun gnus-goto-article (message-id)
>> (gnus-summary-read-group "INBOX" nil t)
>> (gnus-summary-refer-article message-id))

DA> John, did you see
DA> [[gnus:nntp%2BLocalNNTP:gmane.emacs.gnus.general#m2r53hslyd.fsf@pluto.luannocracy.com][this
DA> article]]?

That seems like a very useful function.  Dave, can your version (or
whatever works for the most cases) go into Gnus if there's nothing
already in there?

Thanks
Ted

* Re: Creating an ephemeral group for a single article?
@ 2011-09-27 16:51     ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-09-27 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Mon Sep 26 2011, Ted Zlatanov <tzz-AT-lifelogs.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:32:52 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:
>
> DA> on Wed Sep 14 2011, John Wiegley <jwiegley-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'd like to write a function that I could call from, say, Org.  It should take
>>> a Message-Id, and create an ephemeral group containing that one message, found
>>> by the same mechanism that uses gnus-refer-article-method -- so that it can
>>> find the message wherever it might be.  And if it truly can't find the
>>> message, it should ding and say that.
>>>
>>> What I have now is a half solution, as it inserts the message into my INBOX
>>> summary:
>>> (defun gnus-goto-article (message-id)
>>> (gnus-summary-read-group "INBOX" nil t)
>>> (gnus-summary-refer-article message-id))
>
> DA> John, did you see
> DA> [[gnus:nntp%2BLocalNNTP:gmane.emacs.gnus.general#m2r53hslyd.fsf@pluto.luannocracy.com][this
> DA> article]]?
>
> That seems like a very useful function.  Dave, can your version (or
> whatever works for the most cases) go into Gnus if there's nothing
> already in there?

Sure, feel free to take it... but it's still only a half-solution.
If Gnus would let me enter an empty group, it would be a full solution
pretty quickly, but I don't know how to code around Gnus' limitations in
that respect

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing