From: CHENG Gao <chenggao@cyberhut.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Are webmail.el & some files under contrib dir still useful or usable?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:07:53 +0800	[thread overview]

*On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 21:16:22 +0200
* Also sprach Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>:

> CHENG Gao <chenggao@cyberhut.org> writes:
>
>> Seems netscape/my-deja etc are out of service. At least they should be
>> removed.
>
> Yup; removed.
>
>> Under contrib/ dir, one-line-cookie.diff is for patching w3 4.0pre46 to
>> use with webmail.el (refer to Gnus manual). So it may be candidate for
>> removal.
>
> I don't know if webmail.el is used at all any more.  There's been no
> major updates since 1999, apparently.
>
> Should I just remove webmail.el altogether?

Yes IMHO.

It supports hotmail/netaddress/yahoo now. But:

netaddress is a commercial service, and provideds POP/IMAP.

As I know, yahoo/hotmail provides POP now.

If webmail.el is to be removed, contrib/one-line-cookie.diff can be removed also
since it's only for pacthing w3 (4pre46) to use with wembail.el.

>> Gnus supports Emacs 22+ (am I right?) now. So
>> sendmail.el/smtpmail.el/ucs-table.el can be removed since they are all
>> bundled with Emacs (from 22 & 21).
>
> Ok, removed.  Hm...  but are they needed for XEmacs support, by any
> chance?

I just checked xemacs site, and found out its mail-lib package has
sendmail.el and smtpmail.el. So I supppose it wont hurt anyone.