From: George McNinch <McNinch.1@nd.edu>
Subject: Re: nnimap problem, maybe
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 09:27:58 -0500	[thread overview]

    Simon> George McNinch <McNinch.1@nd.edu> writes:
    Kai> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap ""
    Kai> (nnimap-address "imap-g.nd.edu")))
    >>  Sadly, this didn't work.

    Simon> What happened?

    Simon> Nnimap is a Gnus backend so the proper thing is to add a
    Simon> virtual server to `gnus-secondary-select-methods' (or
    Simon> perhaps `gnus-select-method') if you want to use it, like
    Simon> Kai described, I don't think simply setting
    Simon> `nnimap-address' to something would give the desired
    Simon> effect.

This is a repeat of what Kai said. Setting
gnus-secondary-select-methods as he specified didn't work, as I
indicated. (server buffer said "denied". Ditto for the *Message-Log*
buffer)

The point turns out to be that I must set

(setq nnimap-authenticator 'login)

since I don't have imtest installed, and without that setting, nnimap
tries to use Kerberos (I guess because the server is able to use
this), and fails.

So it now works.

The Info docs include the following description:

nnimap-authenticator'
     The authenticator used to connect to the server. By default,
     nnimap will use the most secure authenticator your server is
     capable of.

        * "kerberos4:" Kerberos authentication.

        * "cram-md5:" Encrypted username/password via CRAM-MD5.

        * "login:" Plain-text username/password via LOGIN.

        * "anonymous:" Login as `anonymous', supplying your emailadress
          as password.

These values should probably be changed to
        * kerberos4
        * login

etc. (i.e. no quotes and :s)

Ditto for for the Info docs on nnimap-stream.

Of course (describe-variable) does give the correct information. It just
didn't occur to me that this was the trouble at first.

Thanks for the help.

Best,
George
--