* Red Gnus 0.74: Undo menu in *Group* buffer
@ 1996-12-10  9:21 Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-12-10  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think it is silly to have an undo menu with a single entry in the
menu bar, it should be moved to one of the other menus.  There are
several of the existing submenus (e.g. Groups | List) that would be
more worthy of being placed on the menu bar.

* Re: Red Gnus 0.74: Undo menu in *Group* buffer
@ 1996-12-11  0:27 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-12-11  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> I think it is silly to have an undo menu with a single entry in the
> menu bar, it should be moved to one of the other menus.  There are
> several of the existing submenus (e.g. Groups | List) that would be
> more worthy of being placed on the menu bar.

Yup.  However, the `undo' menu is installed in the minor mode map
`gnus-undo-mode-map'.  Is there any way to keep it in that map (so if
the user switches the minor mode off the menu entry disappears), but
display it in a more sensible position?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Red Gnus 0.74: Undo menu in *Group* buffer
@ 1996-12-11  8:25   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-12-11  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Yup.  However, the `undo' menu is installed in the minor mode map
> `gnus-undo-mode-map'.  Is there any way to keep it in that map (so if
> the user switches the minor mode off the menu entry disappears), but
> display it in a more sensible position?

Why is it a mode?

Anyway, I think you should just make it a normal entry that is
inactive if gnus-undo-mode is not set.

I.e.

	[ "Undo" gnus-undo gnus-undo-mode ]

* Re: Red Gnus 0.74: Undo menu in *Group* buffer
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-12-16 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
>
> > Yup.  However, the `undo' menu is installed in the minor mode map
> > `gnus-undo-mode-map'.  Is there any way to keep it in that map (so if
> > the user switches the minor mode off the menu entry disappears), but
> > display it in a more sensible position?
>
> Why is it a mode?

Because it's something that can (theoretically) be switched on in all
buffers.  The group buffer (kinda) supports it now, but I think that
the summary buffer should do so as well.  So it makes sense to have it
as a minor mode.

> Anyway, I think you should just make it a normal entry that is
> inactive if gnus-undo-mode is not set.
>
> I.e.
>
> 	[ "Undo" gnus-undo gnus-undo-mode ]

That would be possible, but it would be nicer not to "hard-code" this.
What's the magic incantation to insert a menu bar entry into some
menu?  I seem to be having some problems groking the menu code...

(Hey!  I got my ppp link back up!  (And I learned how to talk to the
Xyplex server at the same time.)  Three awful, awful, *awful* days
without any real contact with ifi's mail server.  The horror of it
all!  *gack*)

@ 1996-12-17 10:00       ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-12-17 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Because it's something that can (theoretically) be switched on in all
> buffers.

Why would you want to switch it off?  Is it something that the user is
likely to switch on and off through a session?  I.e. if it takes
resources, wouldn't a `gnus-use-undo' meta variable be more
appropriate.

> That would be possible, but it would be nicer not to "hard-code" this.
> What's the magic incantation to insert a menu bar entry into some
> menu?  I seem to be having some problems groking the menu code...

It is `define-key-after' in Emacs and `add-menu-button' in XEmacs.

* Re: Red Gnus 0.74: Undo menu in *Group* buffer
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-12-17 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
>
> > Because it's something that can (theoretically) be switched on in all
> > buffers.
>
> Why would you want to switch it off?  Is it something that the user is
> likely to switch on and off through a session?

No, but it's something that the user might want to switch off in some
buffers in some hook.

> I.e. if it takes resources, wouldn't a `gnus-use-undo' meta variable
> be more appropriate.

This isn't (in principle) a Gnus-specific thing, so it seems cleaner
to use a minor mode.  I think.

> > That would be possible, but it would be nicer not to "hard-code" this.
> > What's the magic incantation to insert a menu bar entry into some
> > menu?  I seem to be having some problems groking the menu code...
>
> It is `define-key-after' in Emacs and `add-menu-button' in XEmacs.

Ok, I'll have gnus-undo do that instead.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen