From: Didier Verna <didier@didierverna.net>
To: Gnus Beta Testers <ding@gnus.org>
Subject: Problems with unlabeled mails on Gmail IMAP
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 17:19:12 +0100	[thread overview]

  Hello,

after hitting the storage limit on Gmail (and being rather surprised by
it), I started to investigate on how to make room, and I discovered
something very strange. I had *crateloads* of unlabeled emails, emails
that would normally have been classified somewhere thanks to
nnmail-split-methods, and would have ended up being deleted after a
while.

Now that I'm watching this very closely, I can see this happening almost
in real time. For example, I have an nnmail split method that redirects
mailing list traffic to list-specific labels. I know that the split
method works because I can see new emails going directly to the right
place after hitting 'g'. However, when I go the the gmail web interface
and search for has:nouserlabels, I can /also/ see some emails from that
(those) list(s), with no tag, and also not in the inbox anymore. So Gnus
doesn't see them anywhere.

Now if I mark those messages as unread and move them back to inbox (from
the web interface), then after hitting 'g', Gnus will see them, and 'B
t' or 'B r' work correctly.

I'd appreciate it if anyone understands what might be going on...

As a side note, something even more puzzling is that has:nouserlabels
shows me several messages which /do/ have user labels. I'm even more at
a loss here. Note that I don't have any filtering rule on gmail itself.
Only nnmail split methods.

Thanks, and happy (or better) 22 !

--
@-quartet / ¡En Seguida! live au Sunside, 9 Février 2022, 21h30 !