* Switch between multipart alternatives
@ 2012-07-02 13:27 Drew Raines
From: Drew Raines @ 2012-07-02 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

A lot of email nowadays, especially through Google Groups, is
multipart/alternative.  For a while now I've had
gnus-inhibit-mime-unbuttonizing set so that I get these at the top of
an article:

      1.  ( ) text/plain          (*) text/html

...which, eg if I don't like the rendering of the html, lets me know
that I have a text/plain option (although many times the html through
shr.el looks really good!).

I used to be able to do this with `b' which would quickly switch
between these parts, but that doesn't work anymore.  I know I can
just hit the buttons and toggle that way but it takes too long to
navigate over there.  I liked the simplicity and speed of the former
method.

I've noticed it has been this way for months, well before Ma Gnus.
I've just been lazy figuring out what happened.  Anybody know what I
can frob to get this behavior back?  Or is there a better way to
accomplish what I was doing?

-Drew

* Re: Switch between multipart alternatives
@ 2012-07-03  0:25 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2012-07-03  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Raines; +Cc: ding

Drew Raines wrote:
> A lot of email nowadays, especially through Google Groups, is
> multipart/alternative.  For a while now I've had
> gnus-inhibit-mime-unbuttonizing set so that I get these at the top of
> an article:

>       1.  ( ) text/plain          (*) text/html

> ...which, eg if I don't like the rendering of the html, lets me know
> that I have a text/plain option (although many times the html through
> shr.el looks really good!).

> I used to be able to do this with `b' which would quickly switch
> between these parts, but that doesn't work anymore.  I know I can
> just hit the buttons and toggle that way but it takes too long to
> navigate over there.  I liked the simplicity and speed of the former
> method.

> I've noticed it has been this way for months, well before Ma Gnus.
> I've just been lazy figuring out what happened.  Anybody know what I
> can frob to get this behavior back?  Or is there a better way to
> accomplish what I was doing?

Sorry, this is a side effect of `gnus-article-goto-part' that was
improved for other purposes:

2010-10-28  Katsumi Yamaoka  <yamaoka@jpl.org>
[...]
 (gnus-article-goto-part): Go to displayed or preferred subpart if it is
 multipart/alternative.

But as for `gnus-article-view-part' at least, I realized the point
should stay at the beginning of the buttons line.  Fixed in Git.

* Re: Switch between multipart alternatives
@ 2012-07-03  2:06   ` Drew Raines
From: Drew Raines @ 2012-07-03  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

> Drew Raines wrote:

>> I used to be able to do this with `b' which would quickly switch
>> between these parts, but that doesn't work anymore.  I know I can
>> just hit the buttons and toggle that way but it takes too long to
>> navigate over there.  I liked the simplicity and speed of the former
>> method.
>
> Sorry, this is a side effect of `gnus-article-goto-part' that was
> improved for other purposes:
>
> 2010-10-28  Katsumi Yamaoka  <yamaoka@jpl.org>
> [...]
>  (gnus-article-goto-part): Go to displayed or preferred subpart if it is
>  multipart/alternative.
>
> But as for `gnus-article-view-part' at least, I realized the point
> should stay at the beginning of the buttons line.  Fixed in Git.

Of course!  I never realized the mime part number was clickable.  I
probably would have been able to track that down if I had.

Thanks for the patch.  Works fine now.

-Drew