* Document meaning of mail and news headers?
@ 2001-04-15 22:34 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-04-15 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think that the meaning (and syntax) of the various mail and news
headers should be documented somewhere.  Either in the reference
manual or in the (not yet written) tutorial.  What do you think?

Surely we shouldn't require users to hunt down the various RFCs,
especially not for esoteric headers such as Mail-Copies-To and
Mail-Followups-To.

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: Document meaning of mail and news headers?
@ 2001-04-16 13:10 ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2001-04-16 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Surely we shouldn't require users to hunt down the various RFCs,
> especially not for esoteric headers such as Mail-Copies-To and
> Mail-Followups-To.

Yes.  Something like the emacs manual Mail Headers node, but bigger
and better.  Maybe we should start compiling a list, first?  Then we
could fill in the details as we go.  :)

Alex.
--
http://www.geocities.com/kensanata/emacs.html
"Check the Elisp Archive: http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/emacs-lisp/"

* Re: Document meaning of mail and news headers?
@ 2001-04-16 20:42   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-04-16 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 16 Apr 2001, Alex Schroeder wrote:

> Yes.  Something like the emacs manual Mail Headers node, but bigger
> and better.  Maybe we should start compiling a list, first?  Then we
> could fill in the details as we go.  :)

Argh.  I should read the manual before making manual suggestions.
Yes, that node from the Emacs info file is just right, it just needs a
couple of more headers.

Hm.

OTOH, Gnus users probably expect something in the Gnus or Message info
file.

kai
--

@ 2001-04-16 21:15     ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2001-04-16 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Yes.  Something like the emacs manual Mail Headers node, but bigger
> > and better.  Maybe we should start compiling a list, first?  Then we
> > could fill in the details as we go.  :)
>
> Argh.  I should read the manual before making manual suggestions.
> Yes, that node from the Emacs info file is just right, it just needs a
> couple of more headers.

Well the Emacs manual is only interested in Mail Headers -- but we are
interested in News headers as well.  Such as Followup-To and
Mail-Copies-To or whatever they are.

Alex.
--
http://www.geocities.com/kensanata/emacs.html
"Put (global-font-lock-mode 1) in your .emacs for syntax coloring."