* Re: Quassia Gnus: some thoughts on the agent
       [not found] <x7afhei6q9.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
@ 1997-09-15 23:03 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]   ` <x7en6qgits.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-15 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> The "lib" directories should have their names changed to something that
> cannot be a valid newsgroup, like lib.gnus or something, just in case
> someone creates a "lib" hierarchy.

Yup.  I've now renamed it to "agent.lib".

> At the moment, starting QGnus with gnus-unplugged causes behaviour similar
> to gnus-no-server (perhaps because that is exactly what it does?).  Not
> quite what one expects from an unplugged reader.  This should change, I
> think.  Either the server's history file should be queried to build the
> equivalent of an active file (slow) or a "real" active file should be kept,
> just like gnus-cache.

The agent store all the (relevant) active files locally.  But you need
to do `g' to read the active files in.  While Gnus is plugged.

       [not found]       ` <x7n2ldp4oa.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-16  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> If all the relevant 'active' information is stored locally, then Gnus
> should use that local information when it is started unplugged.

It does.  If it doesn't, then it's a bug.

       [not found]           ` <x7oh5rvoid.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-16 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> Nope; it does not.  It looks just as if I start with gnus-no-server.

Have you pressed `g' while Gnus is plugged?

@ 1997-09-18  1:40             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]               ` <x77mcfw9vz.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-18  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> Lars> Have you pressed `g' while Gnus is plugged?
>
> I am trying to get (and advocating) a useful group buffer while Gnus is
> *UN*plugged, when no connection to the news server is available.  If Gnus
> is *UN*plugged it should build the group buffer from locally stored
> information.

Could you just answer my question?  I think I've asked it twice, and I
don't recall an answer.

@ 1997-09-20 16:24                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]                   ` <x790wr5x8h.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-20 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> Lars> Could you just answer my question?  I think I've asked it twice, and I
> Lars> don't recall an answer.
>
> Yes, it works fine plugged; if it did not I think someone (like me :) would
> have mentioned it.

So, is that a "yes"?  Have you pressed `g' while Gnus is plugged?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

@ 1997-09-21  2:02                     ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]                       ` <x7202jpalu.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-21  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> Agent plugged: 'g' works.

Okey.  Does the Agent store the pertinent info in
"~/News/agent/what/where/agent.lib/active", or does it contain nothing
much of interest?

> Agent unplugged: 'g' does not work.  'g' should work.

Of course it should.

@ 1997-09-21  5:17                         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]                           ` <x7n2l6wv9g.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-21  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> There is no 'active' file there.  There is an history file containing
> Message-ID, date stamp, group, and article number for each message stored.

You wouldn't happen to have `gnus-read-active-file' set to nil?

@ 1997-09-21 16:34                             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-21 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> Lars> You wouldn't happen to have `gnus-read-active-file' set to nil?
>
> Yes, it is... but I am not setting it so.  It is following Gnus' default
> behaviour.

Hm...  That variable is `some' by default.  Does it change to nil
spontaneously?