* Random spaces in the subject
@ 2003-11-01  2:48 Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2003-11-01  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

In one of the groups that I read I've set gnus-summary-line-format to
"%*%U%R%z %10&user-date; %(%s%)\n" using group parameters.  I've
noticed that subject lines in this group have spurious spaces in
seemingly random places.  Here's an example--notice the extra spaces
in all but the second line.

R      6:21 AM John Gilmore's proposal: Test hotel card keys for   personal info [priv]
R      6:25 AM Clinton Fein on DOJ, CDA, and Annoy.com [fs]
R      6:26 AM Diebold documents now on Freenet,   safe from censorship? [fs]
R      6:27 AM U.S. Postal Service withdraws,   will reissue ID requirement [fs]
       6:29 AM Peter Trei on Postal Service, barcodes,   and privacy [priv]
       6:29 AM U.K. "electronic life record" database draws protests   [priv]
       1:21 PM Actual facts about how hotel keycards work,   from K.Anderson [priv]
       3:41 PM Bill Purdy, back in action,   sued by Planned Parenthood [fs]

Strange.  Any idea what's going on?

-Nevin

* Re: Random spaces in the subject
@ 2004-01-02 22:06 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-01-02 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nevin Kapur <nkapur@cs.caltech.edu> writes:

> In one of the groups that I read I've set gnus-summary-line-format to
> "%*%U%R%z %10&user-date; %(%s%)\n" using group parameters.  I've
> noticed that subject lines in this group have spurious spaces in
> seemingly random places.  Here's an example--notice the extra spaces
> in all but the second line.
>
> R      6:21 AM John Gilmore's proposal: Test hotel card keys for   personal info [priv]
> R      6:25 AM Clinton Fein on DOJ, CDA, and Annoy.com [fs]
> R      6:26 AM Diebold documents now on Freenet,   safe from censorship? [fs]

And the articles themselves didn't have these weird spaces in their
Subject headers?

* Re: Random spaces in the subject
@ 2004-01-02 22:19   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-01-02 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 02 2004, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Nevin Kapur <nkapur@cs.caltech.edu> writes:
>
>> In one of the groups that I read I've set gnus-summary-line-format to
>> "%*%U%R%z %10&user-date; %(%s%)\n" using group parameters.  I've
>> noticed that subject lines in this group have spurious spaces in
>> seemingly random places.  Here's an example--notice the extra spaces
>> in all but the second line.
[...]
> And the articles themselves didn't have these weird spaces in their
> Subject headers?

If the group is nntp, I'd vote for buggy overview data (tabs, spaces,
folding, ...) from the server.  (The subjects in the summary stem from
the overview unlike the subject in the article.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Random spaces in the subject
@ 2004-01-02 22:40     ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2004-01-02 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 02 2004, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>
>> And the articles themselves didn't have these weird spaces in their
>> Subject headers?

Nope.  The article subject lines don't exhibit this behavior.

> If the group is nntp, I'd vote for buggy overview data (tabs, spaces,
> folding, ...) from the server.  (The subjects in the summary stem from
> the overview unlike the subject in the article.)

I don't know how to check the overview data.  FWIW, this is an NNTP
group: gmane.politics.politech on news.gmane.org.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-01-02 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nevin Kapur <nkapur@cs.caltech.edu> writes:

> I don't know how to check the overview data.

Enter the group with `RET', and then go to the " *nntpd*" (note
leading space) buffer and look what's in there.

* Re: Random spaces in the subject
@ 2004-01-02 22:53     ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2004-01-02 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> If the group is nntp, I'd vote for buggy overview data (tabs, spaces,
> folding, ...) from the server.  (The subjects in the summary stem from
> the overview unlike the subject in the article.)

If the Subject headers were folded, INN currently has a bug in generation
of overview for folded headers where it just replaces the CRLF with spaces
rather than unfolding the header first.  (The overview specification was
iffy on what one should do.)

This will get fixed at some point.

* Re: Random spaces in the subject
@ 2004-01-02 23:09         ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2004-01-02 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Enter the group with `RET', and then go to the " *nntpd*" (note
> leading space) buffer and look what's in there.

Here it is, one article in three buffers:

" *nntpd*" buffer:
1140	Annalee Newitz on black markets in circumvention devices   [ip]	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>	Fri, 02 Jan 2004 00:53:31 -0500	<6.0.0.22.2.20040102003423.033f9f78@mail.well.com>		4696	65	Xref: main.gmane.org gmane.politics.politech:1140

*Summary* buffer:
R          Thu Annalee Newitz on black markets in circumvention devices   [ip]

*Article* buffer:
Subject: Annalee Newitz on black markets in circumvention devices [ip]

I guess the problem is in the overview data then.

-Nevin