* Sir Agent and his directories
@ 1998-10-31 20:56 Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 1998-10-31 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just did set up a new Gnus (5.6.44) with its Agent in emacs 20.3.
I remember when I did this the very first time it was quite difficult,
but now that I've done it several times.... hmmm? ...
???
... that leaves me with a question:
Isn't the Agent supoused to create his own directories himself?

When I had Gnus running and some groups subscribed, I tried to set up
the Agent, but couldn't get it right, until I made the 'nntp/news.my.server'
directory in 'News/agent/' by hand... strange... what did I do wrong?

( Yes, I *did* (require 'gnus-agent) in .emacs and (gnus-agentize) in
.gnus.el, and I *did* go to the server buffer and had my nntp server
covered by the Agent, and I had set my default predicate to the value
I want it to be, but I couldn't find another way to have it all running
than creating the directories by hand...)

Dear Agent, what else should I have done?

Don't get me wrong, the Agent is fine now, I don't need help. I'm just
thinking if there could not be something which should be explained more
clearly in the manual, to make it less steep for thouse, who try it the
first time...

Robert Epprecht

* Re: Sir Agent and his directories
@ 1998-11-07 13:57 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-07 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@logon.ch> writes:

> Isn't the Agent supoused to create his own directories himself?

Yup.

> When I had Gnus running and some groups subscribed, I tried to set up
> the Agent, but couldn't get it right, until I made the 'nntp/news.my.server'
> directory in 'News/agent/' by hand... strange... what did I do wrong?

What's your gnus-use-long-file-name and nnmail-use-long-file-names
variables?

* Re: Sir Agent and his directories
@ 1998-11-09 17:00   ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 1998-11-09 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > When I had Gnus running and some groups subscribed, I tried to set up
> > the Agent, but couldn't get it right, until I made the 'nntp/news.my.server
> > directory in 'News/agent/' by hand... strange... what did I do wrong?
>
> What's your gnus-use-long-file-name and nnmail-use-long-file-names
> variables?
gnus-use-long-file-name's value is t
nnmail-use-long-file-names's value is nil

* Re: Sir Agent and his directories
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-13 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@logon.ch> writes:

> > > When I had Gnus running and some groups subscribed, I tried to set up
> > > the Agent, but couldn't get it right, until I made the 'nntp/news.my.server
> > > directory in 'News/agent/' by hand... strange... what did I do wrong?
> >
> > What's your gnus-use-long-file-name and nnmail-use-long-file-names
> > variables?
> gnus-use-long-file-name's value is t
> nnmail-use-long-file-names's value is nil

I've looked at the code, but I couldn't find anything to suggest any
breakage in this area.  Did Gnus make some different directory,
somewhere else?