* emacsclient + w3 = ?
@ 1995-12-14  8:32 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-14  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd really like it if clicking an URL would pop up a separate XEmacs
(if none was running), start up w3 and fetch the URL in question.
Subsequent clicks would then use emacsclient in some fashion to tell
the XEmacs running w3 to fetch the new URL.

Now, I've looked at the emacsclient thingie, and it seems that
emacsclient just delivers some string to the Emacs server.  This
string is always interpreted as a file name.  (I think.)  If it were
possible to feed the Emacs server some random elisp form, that would
make implementing this stuff very easy.  Or is it possible already?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: emacsclient + w3 = ?
@ 1995-12-14  9:58 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1995-12-14  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

  Lars> I'd really like it if clicking an URL would pop up a separate
  Lars> XEmacs (if none was running), start up w3 and fetch the URL in
  Lars> question.  Subsequent clicks would then use emacsclient in
  Lars> some fashion to tell the XEmacs running w3 to fetch the new
  Lars> URL.

Can't use emacsclient for that, but there is gnuserv/gnuclient which
does the trick.  I forget where I got this.

        \kai{}
--
Sometimes you lose; sometimes you just don't win.

* Re: emacsclient + w3 = ?
@ 1995-12-14 10:16 ` vroonhof
From: vroonhof @ 1995-12-14 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

BTW Supercite complained about "Mail header From Ding not RFC-compliant" or
something like that when citing this.

    Lars> Now, I've looked at the emacsclient thingie, and it seems
    Lars> that emacsclient just delivers some string to the Emacs
    Lars> server.  This string is always interpreted as a file name.
    Lars> (I think.)  If it were possible to feed the Emacs server
    Lars> some random elisp form, that would make implementing this
    Lars> stuff very easy.  Or is it possible already?

gnudoit (i.e. from gnuserver) does this. I prefer the emacsclient
IPC method of using a named pipe however. It would be very nice if
there was some 'emacsdoit'.

Jan

P.S. Now if only emacsserver would place the pipe in the home dir by
default in stead of in /tmp

* Re: emacsclient + w3 = ?
@ 1995-12-14 13:29   ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1995-12-14 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding

vroonhof@math.ethz.ch writes:

> BTW Supercite complained about "Mail header From Ding not RFC-compliant" or
> something like that when citing this.
>
>     Lars> Now, I've looked at the emacsclient thingie, and it seems
>     Lars> that emacsclient just delivers some string to the Emacs
>     Lars> server.  This string is always interpreted as a file name.
>     Lars> (I think.)  If it were possible to feed the Emacs server
>     Lars> some random elisp form, that would make implementing this
>     Lars> stuff very easy.  Or is it possible already?
>
> gnudoit (i.e. from gnuserver) does this. I prefer the emacsclient
> IPC method of using a named pipe however. It would be very nice if
> there was some 'emacsdoit'.

  Since you are running XEmacs, gnuserv is distributed with it by default.
Just do:

(condition-case ()
  (require 'gnuserve))

(server-start)

  What would be really nice is if someone reimplemented the old epoch stuff
where you could muck about with window properties and such directly.  Then
you could do something similar to what netscape does with -remote.

-Bill P.

* Re: emacsclient + w3 = ?
@ 1995-12-14 20:00 ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-12-14 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> I'd really like it if clicking an URL would pop up a
    Lars> separate XEmacs (if none was running), start up w3 and fetch
    Lars> the URL in question.

If this worked from GNU Emacs (eg. GNU Emacs calling XEmacs) it would
be even more useful.

Can this really be Lars writing this, and not some clever forgery?

--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: emacsclient + w3 = ?
@ 1995-12-15 19:14   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-15 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

steve@miranova.com (Steven L. Baur) writes:

>     Lars> I'd really like it if clicking an URL would pop up a
>     Lars> separate XEmacs (if none was running), start up w3 and fetch
>     Lars> the URL in question.
>
> If this worked from GNU Emacs (eg. GNU Emacs calling XEmacs) it would
> be even more useful.

Exactly.  Even when running XEmacs I usually want to start w3 in a
separate XEmacs so that I can continue working while w3 does its
thaaang.

> Can this really be Lars writing this, and not some clever forgery?

Ha!  *Prove* I'm not him!  Uh -- I mean "me".  Yeah.  *Prove* I'm not
me!  That's what I meant.

--
Home is where the cat is.