* GMail injects fake Message-IDs
@ 2011-07-14  4:53 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-07-14  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: John Wiegley

In attempting to figure out why `gnus-summary-refer-parent-article' was
so often failing to find the root article of my mail threads, I looked
carefully and saw that GMail generates some kind of fake message-ID.  These
headers appeared in the 2nd message of a thread:

The first message of the thread was
<m2d3ho45ip.fsf@pluto.luannocracy.com>.  As far as the thread
participants are concerned,
<CAEOvpkmO5SGPdbqUrUgyi0LSPZyCQU2JfJpwUDq0EEuZn6B8OQ@mail.gmail.com>
never existed.  Is there something Gnus can do to work around this oddity?

TIA,

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: GMail injects fake Message-IDs
@ 2011-07-19 16:57 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-19 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> In attempting to figure out why `gnus-summary-refer-parent-article' was
> so often failing to find the root article of my mail threads, I looked
> carefully and saw that GMail generates some kind of fake message-ID.  These
> headers appeared in the 2nd message of a thread:
> The first message of the thread was
> <m2d3ho45ip.fsf@pluto.luannocracy.com>.  As far as the thread
> participants are concerned,
> <CAEOvpkmO5SGPdbqUrUgyi0LSPZyCQU2JfJpwUDq0EEuZn6B8OQ@mail.gmail.com>
> never existed.  Is there something Gnus can do to work around this oddity?

Gmail inserted a Message-ID that never existed into the References
header?  That sounds very odd.

* Re: GMail injects fake Message-IDs
@ 2011-07-19 21:54   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-07-19 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Tue Jul 19 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> In attempting to figure out why `gnus-summary-refer-parent-article' was
>> so often failing to find the root article of my mail threads, I looked
>> carefully and saw that GMail generates some kind of fake message-ID.  These
>> headers appeared in the 2nd message of a thread:
>> The first message of the thread was
>> <m2d3ho45ip.fsf@pluto.luannocracy.com>.  As far as the thread
>> participants are concerned,
>> <CAEOvpkmO5SGPdbqUrUgyi0LSPZyCQU2JfJpwUDq0EEuZn6B8OQ@mail.gmail.com>
>> never existed.  Is there something Gnus can do to work around this oddity?
>
> Gmail inserted a Message-ID that never existed into the References
> header?  That sounds very odd.

Perhaps this is a result of Bcc'ing myself?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-19 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

>> Gmail inserted a Message-ID that never existed into the References
>> header?  That sounds very odd.
>
> Perhaps this is a result of Bcc'ing myself?

Possible...  but inserting stuff into the References header is a very
odd thing for an MTA to do.

Of course, this is Gmail, so who knows what some bright mind dreamt
up...

* Re: GMail injects fake Message-IDs
@ 2011-07-23 15:32       ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-07-23 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Tue Jul 19 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>>> Gmail inserted a Message-ID that never existed into the References
>>> header?  That sounds very odd.
>>
>> Perhaps this is a result of Bcc'ing myself?
>
> Possible...  but inserting stuff into the References header is a very
> odd thing for an MTA to do.
>
> Of course, this is Gmail, so who knows what some bright mind dreamt
> up...

Well, as usual: I can't reproduce it. :^P

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing